The Official Dead or Alive 5 Tier List with Discussion thread

Rapham0n

Right now it's 1.03A, NOT 1.03. TN made a few tweaks (e.g. bringing back Helena and Mila's ground game) and fixed the SE glitch for Singles.

Correction: it's 1.03A+, but the updates don't affect gameplay.

I think the PS3 version is 1.03A+ at the moment and the X360 version is 1.03A. The 1.03A+ patch was to implement a bunch of "cross-play" stuff so that the PS3 and PSVita version of the game can link up with each other. Here is a list of fixes that was added with patch 1.03A+: http://teamninja-studio.com/doa5/uk/patch/0319.html

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
This game has been out for seven months now and the latest patch has been around for three. We should be much closer to a tier list and MU chart by now. I'd contribute more to the discussion myself, but I don't feel like I'm knowledgeable enough about the game.

Instead, I'll drop this again and hope that those of you who are more informed than I can finally get this going.

Alpha-152 x Sarah 4-6
Brad Wong x Bass 5-5
Rig x Gen Fu 4-6
Tina x Bayman 5-5
Eliot x Bayman 3-7

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
I don't know much about Eliot as far as how good he is overall, only discuss some of his tools with the characters I play with the good Eliot players, but I have to say after looking at AP's comment & going back looking through, I don't see any match in the game to make a 7-3/3-7. At least from what I seen. You have to take into account that all characters can hold, sidestep, etc.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I don't know much about Eliot as far as how good he is overall, only discuss some of his tools with the characters I play with the good Eliot players, but I have to say after looking at AP's comment & going back looking through, I don't see any match in the game to make a 7-3/3-7. At least from what I seen. You have to take into account that all characters can hold, sidestep, etc.

I'm sorry, but Bass v Christie/Kasumi is definitely a 3-7 MU, and that's the best it would be for Bass.

dawnbringer

Every character can hold, and when you're considering match-ups both players are even. It should be taken out of the equation to a certain point.

I don't agree, holds may stop some specific sort of offence and make a difference in a match-up. On the other hand, holds may be disadvantageous in certain match-upds (e.g. that Alpha throw). You could say that both players can block equally well so we don't need consider blocking.

Murakame

I don't agree, holds may stop some specific sort of offence and make a difference in a match-up. On the other hand, holds may be disadvantageous in certain match-upds (e.g. that Alpha throw). You could say that both players can block equally well so we don't need consider blocking.

while this may be true you guys that say that holds and SS makes it so 7-3 is impossible need to take into consideration that just as how you are using the universal tools to buff one characters chances of winning a fight to 6-4, the character with the advantage can use those same tools to strip away the oppositions chance of winning. So I disagree with the argument that the universal tools make a 7-3 match impossible.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
What I mean by "taking into account of holds & sidesteps" is there are some characters who gets a great amount from guessing correct. Ayane, Pai, Lei Fang, are a few examples. Some don't get anything.

So 7-3/3-7 is still in effect.. interesting...
@Mr.Wah, so does Bass have trouble against Pai for the same reasons Kasumi & Christie does? With speed being the main factor?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
It's not just their speed, it's definitely a major part of it though. It's their string delay and ability to have little to no visual indication of free cancelling a string and juggle damage that helps their game. Pai does not have that ability as much due to her Virtua Fighter strings. Her reliance on parries and holds help Bass due to increasing the chances of him landing a HCT. I'd honestly say it's a 6-4 for Pai x Bass at worst for Bass.

Allan Paris

sigh, whatever, 7-3, 8-2, 10-0 match ups for all I care, lol. I won't be playing this game much longer anyways. This isn't even worth debating/arguing over. Plus I don't want to derail this thread any more than it already is.

Her reliance on parries and holds help Bass due to increasing the chances of him landing a HCT. I'd honestly say it's a 6-4 for Pai x Bass at worst for Bass.

However, you are wrong with this, Pai does not rely or HAS to rely on parries or holds. She only has one parry and it's a stance transition which she does at a disadvantage and though it is useful in her mix up, Pai does not nor does she have to rely on it to win. Pai also has to rely on holding just as much as the next character. Her only difficulty with fighting Bass is her inability to juggle him as effectively as the rest of the weight classes. Even if she holds him she has to launch and do the same piss poor ass juggle as she would if she launched him with any other move.

So, that's what helps Bass in that match up. He can do what he wants damage-wise to her while she cannot return the favor.

You fellas continue on with your match up numbers though. I enjoy the laughs :)

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
However, you are wrong with this, Pai does not rely or HAS to rely on parries or holds. She only has one parry and it's a stance transition which she does at a disadvantage and though it is useful in her mix up, Pai does not nor does she have to rely on it to win. Pai also has to rely on holding just as much as the next character. Her only difficulty with fighting Bass is her inability to juggle him as effectively as the rest of the weight classes. Even if she holds him she has to launch and do the same piss poor ass juggle as she would if she launched him with any other move.

So, that's what helps Bass in that match up. He can do what he wants damage-wise to her while she cannot return the favor.

As I said, it's at worst 6-4 in her favor. I'd honestly say it is an even match. Could you give me one Bass matchup that you think Bass has an advantage?

Allan Paris

As I said, it's at worst 6-4 in her favor. I'd honestly say it is an even match. Could you give me one Bass matchup that you think Bass has an advantage?

Yeah, it is even for him.

I don't think he has a match up where he has the advantage that 1-ups him a whole match over a character. His only tool that he has that is overly scary is him throwing you on Counter or High Counter. Though if know how to play the game right you can avoid that damage. Speed still kills in this game or at least it still kills him, so his advantage in match ups that are even is coming from characters that can't juggle him effectively.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I'm sorry, but for those who argue that this 3-7 match-up doesn't exist in the game, could you please pick-up Bass and play against a good Kasumi/Christie and tell me that's not true? I mean, not the spammy players, but the really skanky ones who play these characters too well, offline.

The Christie and Kasumi players I play with at offline sessions (I'm looking at you, Hyrule, you sapammer) just make things very difficult. You know when you're playing some in Tekken and there's this one Mishima players who just mashes jabs and only does pokes? Yeah, it's like that, but worse.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
I'm sorry, but for those who argue that this 3-7 match-up doesn't exist in the game, could you please pick-up Bass and play against a good Kasumi/Christie and tell me that's not true? I mean, not the spammy players, but the really skanky ones who play these characters too well, offline.

The Christie and Kasumi players I play with at offline sessions (I'm looking at you, Hyrule, you sapammer) just make things very difficult. You know when you're playing some in Tekken and there's this one Mishima players who just mashes jabs and only does pokes? Yeah, it's like that, but worse.

I'm picking kasumi on you today ..
gonna do some yummy forcetech hell on you .. lol

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I'm picking kasumi on you today ..
gonna do some yummy forcetech hell on you .. lol

Record it so people can see a real 7-3 matchup. lol.

Updating the current set to Pai v Bass which was and still is 5-5:

Alpha-152 x Sarah 4-6
Pai x Bass 5-5
Rig x Gen Fu 4-6
Tina x Bayman 5-5
Eliot x Bayman 3-7

Jaguar360

Let me see if I can provide some:
Alpha-152 x Mila 6-4
Hayate x Hayabusa 3-7
Alpha-152 x Hayabusa 7-3
Hayate x Kasumi 5-5
Bayman x Brad Wong 6-4

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Bayman x Brad Wong 6-4

Okay, I'm not great at this game and I'm still learning, but I have to comment on this. Unless I'm playing him wrong (which is entirely possible), tank roll is an instrumental part of Bayman's game. Brad Wong has way too many lows and mids that completely shut down the tank roll, at least in my experience. I'd say that the best this matchup could possibly be for Bayman is a 5-5 and that's probably pushing it. I'd go with 6-4 Brad, as stated on the OP's MU chart.

Feel free to correct me. It would be nice to hear the input of Bayman and Brad players.

qoodname

Dont get me wrong but the way you play this matchup game will get you nowhere. Atleast talk about how you came to the conclusion matchup xy is in favor of character xy so people can discuss it further. Simply posting numbers without any given reason is pointless.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Let me see if I can provide some:
Alpha-152 x Mila 6-4
Hayate x Hayabusa 3-7
Alpha-152 x Hayabusa 7-3
Hayate x Kasumi 5-5
Bayman x Brad Wong 6-4

The current ruleset of the thread is to state which one of the current match up numbers you want to change and why, or change one character from any one match up with a new match up number set and why. You have not done this, as qoodname has suggested.

Here are the current discussion matchups
Alpha-152 x Sarah 4-6
Pai x Bass 5-5
Rig x Gen Fu 4-6
Tina x Bayman 5-5
Brad x Bayman 6-4

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD