The Official Dead or Alive 5 Tier List with Discussion thread

Saber

Right now it's 1.03A, NOT 1.03. TN made a few tweaks (e.g. bringing back Helena and Mila's ground game) and fixed the SE glitch for Singles.

Correction: it's 1.03A+, but the updates don't affect gameplay.

Murakame

Isn't the game 1.03 at the moment, and shouldn't that be the version of the game we are discussing?

No, the game is 1.03A. In 1.03A everything I have just said about Hayate applies. He no longer has that 3K sitdown stun.

EDIT: I didn't realize Saber replied. sorry.

synce

No one seems to know Sarah and Alpha matchups at these tourneys. I'm especially amazed at the stuff Xcalibur got away with, he dropped nearly every juggle and still won. Alpha is just one step above trash since 1.03

DR2K

No one seems to know Sarah and Alpha matchups at these tourneys. I'm especially amazed at the stuff Xcalibur got away with, he dropped nearly every juggle and still won. Alpha is just one step above trash since 1.03

Well all of 2 people play her, and she's got some really quick attacks on top of huge damage throws.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Okay, cool.

Damn. I definitely thought that the Bayman vs Hayabusa MU would have shifted a little bit after all of the buffs that Hayabusa got in 1.03. Or is it simply that no one has provided post 1.03 info on it?

Talked to Rikuto about it today and he says it's probably 6-4 Bayman now due mainly to Busa having his jab at 10i now.

Reikou

Hmm. I noticed that the Kokoro-Helena matchup was listed as 6-4, and I'm trying to find the post/s that explain why, but couldn't find them.

Does anyone happen to know which page they're in?

Thank you very much.

qoodname

I appreciate the fact that people talk about the game and try to put a tier list together even though that japanese tier list doesnt make any sense to me. That being said there actually is something that annoys me about that tier list. Its the criteria. To be precise criteria number 6. To be even more precise the word ''broken''. Now what does ''broken'' mean? When a player refers to a character or move as "broken", they are implying that it is a game breaking character or move that other characters have no answer for or no way to defend against. So do we really have something like that in DOA5? I cant think of anything to be honest. Sure there are characters that are simply better than other characters (which in my personal opinion are Jann, Gen, Leifang and Sarah) and there are moves that i would like to work a bit different but does that really make them ''broken''? No! Are sitdown stuns that in most cases can be slow escaped and only lead to damaging combos if set up correctly with quite forseeable setups? No!

People seriously need to stop throwing words like ''broken'' and ''OP'' around. If people have problems with certain characters or moves thats fine but that doesnt make them broken nor does it affect any characters tier list placement. There is a training mode with so many options for a reason, you know. Now go and use it!

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
So let's try something fun.

Pick 5 matchups and give a number. The next person to post has to either replace one matchup's numbers with a reason, or replace one matchup with another matchup entirely.

U_C_A_F

replacing eliot x lisa with eliot x bayman

eliot x bayman 3-7

reason:
tank roll destroys 100% of eliots offense. he can not track mid or low and his high tracking moves are crushed by it, he is literally helpless and can't keep pressure without worrying about the tank roll putting a stop to all his offense. all eliot can do is hold back and bait it out and punish it with a low throw which isn't viable at all.

Bayman being a super heavy weight also limits eliots true strength which is his juggle damage/wall carrying ability. eliot cant do multiple instant 3p refloats on him on any launcher other than his 236H+P super launcher throw and has to settle with basic juggles that do far less damage than he can on the rest of the weight classes, where as bayman easily pull off his maximum juggle damage on eliot since hes one of the lightest characters in the game.

eliot really has no advantage at all in the match up, his parries are matched by baymans parries, i9 is crushed by a majority of baymans high crush moves along with tank roll, and as far as speed goes eliot is just slow if not slower than bayman, not to mention baymans access to guaranteed setups off of sitdown stuns where eliot gets nothing notable guaruanteed of anything. its an massive uphill battle for eliot and is by far his worst match up in the game imo

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Okay so current list is:

Alpha-152 x Sarah 4-6
Brad Wong x Bass 5-5
Rig x Gen Fu 4-6
Tina x Bayman 5-5
Eliot x Bayman 3-7

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Here's what I got for the 2 I play:

Kasumi vs Bass: Imo 6-4 Kasumi. Kasumi's speed plays a factor along with the impact of damage of juggles after patch (although that everybody got a damage boost). 7-3 I think is a little bit harsh because Bass received some help with the changes made in the patch that gave him some fire power.

Kasumi vs Ayane: 5-5 even. This 1 still remains the same as the typical sister rivalry. The main thing to this match up is that as a Kasumi player, I have to get in & stay in, while as an Ayane player, I have to keep Kasumi out at bay in the mid range space, where Ayane excels.

Kasumi vs Christie: 5-5 here. This match comes down to who can space better. Both have a great wall game & you don't want to let 1 get on top of the other.

Kasumi vs Sarah 4-6 for Kasumi. Why? Because Sarah has that frame advantage to her side along with being able to throw better that Kasumi. Kasumi has to crush Sarah two & fold & interrupt Sarah's strings while Sarah doesn't have the safety issue problem as Kasumi.

Ayane vs Brad Wong: Still 6-4 Ayane. Brad Wong gets spaced out & can be knocked out of his laydown stance with 2P (like just about every character could.) The best way Brad can win this is to also get in on her.

Ayane vs Akira: I got 6-4 Ayane. Akria usually goes from High to mid with attacks where Ayane has an advanced Mid Punch hold (64H+P) that stops it & gives her a guaranteed follow-up everytime. Ayane's not throw punishing him that easily though due to his frame advantage. Akira has a fair shot at this 1, however he is linear when it comes to pokes & strings.

I'll post more later, but this is what I have right now. Don't wanna fill up the entire thread where I bore people to the point they won't read it

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
I have my numbers for some of them (not all still looking into them), but not posting them just yet because Mr.Wah had a game going with a certain matchup to be talked about. So I'm keeping it civil. Honestly, I just use whoever regardless of tiers because I like them. I just learn & figure out what I have to do to win. I just support tiers & enjoy discussing matchups.

Allan Paris

lol at some these matchups that are reading "3-7", I haven't even read the reasons given for the matchups because that is absurd in DOA. There's nothing in this game that any character has that is that fucked up against another character. Hell, a matchup being "6-4" is damn near pushing it in this game but some matchups are honestly like that

i.e. Ayane vs Brad Wong being 6-4 in her favor, Brad's laydown stance is now a huge factor in this game because only a small few can completely shut it down doa4 style. Ayane's crush moves (4P in particular) eliminates this stance, which makes the fight for him hard because he can't out space her, out crush her, or beat her in speed. So, he has to rely on reading her properly, being very patient, and picking the prime points to attack her.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
How is the Bass - Kokoro matchup? I don't know anything about kokoro, so, I'd appretiate if someone with some experience with this matchup could explain it.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
How is the Bass - Kokoro matchup? I don't know anything about kokoro, so, I'd appretiate if someone with some experience with this matchup could explain it.

Please follow the rules of the current game. Suggest a matchup to replace the current five. But to answer your question:

I'm replacing Tina x Bayman with Bass x Kokoro

Alpha-152 x Sarah 4-6
Brad Wong x Bass 5-5
Rig x Gen Fu 4-6
Bass x Kokoro 5-5
Eliot x Bayman 3-7

Bass x Kokoro is 5-5 right now. She wins at the range game but is fairly unsafe with heavy high/low strings. If he can win out in the defensive department he should be good. Her linearity should also not affect much. She has good damage but bass is a super heavyweight so she doesn't get much juggle damage.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD