The Official Dead or Alive 5 Tier List with Discussion thread

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I'm gonna take her to the lab again, but as far as SSing her goes, she is not as linear as the rest of the cast.

I still think her matchup against Bass is 6-4, unless there's evidence that would suggest that it's still 5-5.

edit: Uh, this character is fucked, yeah?

Rapham0n

I personally find them on 2ch and similar forums.

Heres the Japanese equivalent of FSD for those interested.

http://jbbs.livedoor.jp/game/55007/

other sources include:

http://fgamers.saikyou.biz/?DOA5

Magazines such as: 闘劇魂 or アルカディア.

-----

If you read the character ranking threads though, the 3 OP characters as they are referred to are Gen Fu, Jann Lee, and Hayate. There's almost no debate about this there.

Unfortunately I can't read, write, speak or understand Japanese and google translate is not working for me for some reason. Also, call me a "dummy" if you must but I really have no clue how to read that chart in the OP. If anyone could post up a tier list in standard form that would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

TakedaZX

Also people need to learn how to use the SS system in this game. It's sad the lack of usage it has.
Definitely.

1PK is easy to see coming to react to. 1PP is unsafe and you can throw punish. Only thing you have to worry about is 1P itself and if you can't stop that then tough shit. You people overrate Lisa without knowing how to fight the character.
She shouldn't be underrated either. 1p is good shit for a character like Lisa whether you like it or not.

Reikou

Unfortunately I can't read, write, speak or understand Japanese and google translate is not working for me for some reason. Also, call me a "dummy" if you must but I really have no clue how to read that chart in the OP. If anyone could post up a tier list in standard form that would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I already posted it a few pages back with very mixed responses from the community here.

Rapham0n

I already posted it a few pages back with very mixed responses from the community here.

You were being serious? I thought you were just making a joke because of the weird criteria you based your list on. :confused: By bad. Didn't realize you were serious.

Anyway, I'm really having a tough time understanding that match up chart in the OP. I think I'm starting to grasp how it works. So if I'm reading the chart right then the match ups between Hayabusa and Bayman would be 2-8, in favor of Bayman. Am I reading this right? If so then according to that chart Alpha, Sarah and Tina are the most balanced characters in the game with all of their match ups being 5-5. IDK, I get the feeling I'm not reading this right.

NightAntilli

You were being serious? I thought you were just making a joke because of the weird criteria you based your list on. :confused: By bad. Didn't realize you were serious.

Anyway, I'm really having a tough time understanding that match up chart in the OP. I think I'm starting to grasp how it works. So if I'm reading the chart right then the match ups between Hayabusa and Bayman would be 2-8, in favor of Bayman. Am I reading this right? If so then according to that chart Alpha, Sarah and Tina are the most balanced characters in the game with all of their match ups being 5-5. IDK, I get the feeling I'm not reading this right.
Actually, I think it's in favor of Busa. But I'm not sure either.

Also, I assume most of the things that are 5-5 are because they haven't been discussed/decided yet.. I think that because... Christie and Kokoro are 5-5 still. Main things to consider regarding these two are Kokoro's linearity vs Christie's evasiveness and Christie's speed vs Kokoro's lack of crushes. It's clear Kokoro is at a huge disadvantage, but it hasn't been updated yet. So, yeah. That's what this thread is for.

NightAntilli

Wow. I never expected Ryu vs Bayman to be 2-8. If anyone could redirect me to the page this was discussed/determined, it would be appreciated. I'm curious why.

synce

I think Bayman vs Pai is something like 7-3. It's mostly his weight and 8/2P+K that make him a bitch to fight. Pai struggles with heavies and doesn't have many circular mids

Edit: Oops just noticed it already was 7-3, so change "think" to "agree" lol

Also, IMO:

Pai vs Ayane: 3-7 (Pai's moves are easily crushed and out-spaced by her)
Pai vs Brad: 4-6 (her lows aren't that useful against his laying stance)

I haven't played in a while but these are the characters I most recall giving her trouble in 1.04

And I have to disagree with Mila vs Helena being 6-4, especially after patch. A good Helena will go under anything Mila has and easily knock her out of 3H+K spam. Couple that with her countless circulars and it should be at least 6-4 in Helena's favor

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I think Bayman vs Pai is something like 7-3. It's mostly his weight and 8/2P+K that make him a bitch to fight. Pai struggles with heavies and doesn't have many circular mids

Edit: Oops just noticed it already was 7-3, so change "think" to "agree" lol

Also, IMO:

Pai vs Ayane: 3-7 (Pai's moves are easily crushed and out-spaced by her)
Pai vs Brad: 4-6 (her lows aren't that useful against his laying stance)

I haven't played in a while but these are the characters I most recall giving her trouble in 1.04

And I have to disagree with Mila vs Helena being 6-4, especially after patch. A good Helena will go under anything Mila has and easily knock her out of 3H+K spam. Couple that with her countless circulars and it should be at least 6-4 in Helena's favor

Thanks for helping out.

Reikou

Now that's just rude.

Not only to me, but to the whole Japanese DOA5 community.

That said, I'm curious why people here do not think Hayate is any good? The Japanese community is seems pretty set that he is in the highest tier, and completely imbalanced (like Jann Lee and Gen Fu.)

Murakame

That said, I'm curious why people here do not think Hayate is any good? The Japanese community is seems pretty set that he is in the highest tier, and completely imbalanced (like Jann Lee and Gen Fu.)

This list seems like its taking 1.03 Hayate into consideration. When he had his 3K sitdown stun his stun game was cake. Stun then 1P into 3K for CB, 3PP 3K CB, Stun, watch for the low hold, 3K 7P for a one guess situation. HIs SSP sitdown in tandem with 3K and 7P forced a high damage one guess situation.

Without that sitdown stun Hayate is only mid to high mid at best IMO. He is highly unsafe for no apparent reason and has to play the stun game, which he isn't the best at doing because he has poor mixups and few ways to guarantee damage. To win, a Hayate player must make good use of his footsie tools, GBs, and 236T. He excels at setting up situations to use that grab and its 72 pts damage which is no joke. This guaranteed damage he gets from his throw complements the damage he gets from his stun game attempts whether those fail or not. His GBs allow him to have a good time vs characters in his speed tier but against ppl like Kasumi and Christie who don't have to give a fuck about +1 things become an issue. Hayate is one of those characters that you need good fundamental skills and ability with because his tools while good don't close the skill gap between players and this is what makes him mid to high mid IMO. His tools are good, but they aren't ridiculously good. IMO anyone that says he is low or close to top is being a little delusional.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
I've been updating as people give me logical match scores.

Okay, cool.

Damn. I definitely thought that the Bayman vs Hayabusa MU would have shifted a little bit after all of the buffs that Hayabusa got in 1.03. Or is it simply that no one has provided post 1.03 info on it?

Reikou

This list seems like its taking 1.03 Hayate into consideration. When he had his 3K sitdown stun his stun game was cake. Stun then 1P into 3K for CB, 3PP 3K CB, Stun, watch for the low hold, 3K 7P for a one guess situation. HIs SSP sitdown in tandem with 3K and 7P forced a high damage one guess situation.

Without that sitdown stun Hayate is only mid to high mid at best IMO. He is highly unsafe for no apparent reason and has to play the stun game, which he isn't the best at doing because he has poor mixups and few ways to guarantee damage. To win, a Hayate player must make good use of his footsie tools, GBs, and 236T. He excels at setting up situations to use that grab and its 72 pts damage which is no joke. This guaranteed damage he gets from his throw complements the damage he gets from his stun game attempts whether those fail or not. His GBs allow him to have a good time vs characters in his speed tier but against ppl like Kasumi and Christie who don't have to give a fuck about +1 things become an issue. Hayate is one of those characters that you need good fundamental skills and ability with because his tools while good don't close the skill gap between players and this is what makes him mid to high mid IMO. His tools are good, but they aren't ridiculously good. IMO anyone that says he is low or close to top is being a little delusional.

Isn't the game 1.03 at the moment, and shouldn't that be the version of the game we are discussing?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD