The DOA5U "Casual" thread. ^__^

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
I honestly don't get some of you guys ...
They give you old costumes from previous games .. you say we want new stuff ...
They give you new original - non recycled content .. you complain that you want the old costumes back ..

I think the costumes look great and a lot of thought went into making them ...

it also shows the diversity of tastes in each character ... maybe you like Mila but wanted something a little more feminine... well there you go! ... or for once an Ayane that isn't damn purple...

crapoZK

Standard Donor
Just so you know guys... ONE DLC costume costs like $50 of dev time.

So stop bitching....

SilverForte

Okay I'm back, I personally found these two casual packs to be the most original and well designed out all the dlc outfits, aside from the first free pack way back when. Some of the outfits, like Baymans, are just awesome. I wish all of the dlc was as high a quality as this.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Just so you know guys... ONE DLC costume costs like $50 of dev time.

So stop bitching....

Where do you get this random number from? Being a graphic designer, I can assure you, that designing/developing/programming one costume costs actually much more. The people working on these have to be paid and they do get more bucks per costume, trust me. It takes lots of resources and time. You don't press a magic button on your computer and "Tadaaa!!" the costume is there, lol. XD

crapoZK

Standard Donor
Where do you get this random number from? Being a graphic designer, I can assure you, that designing/developing/programming one costume costs actually much more. The people working on these have to be paid and they do get more bucks per costume, trust me. It takes lots of resources and time. You don't press a magic button on your computer and "Tadaaa!!" the costume is there, lol. XD

I said that number because I don't really know a thing about GFX design yet lol (Hence being 14 and not being able to take a Graphics Design and Game Dev course which I will in 3 years). Though estimating that to make a fully fledged AAA-Class Fighting Game character costs $10,000, so I divided it by a whole lot to come up with this price. I know a little bit about making one though. Sorry about this though.

David Gregg

You gotta admit this DLC pack is way better than that terrible sports gears crap.
Hey everyone has different tastes I suppose. But I am a bit biased b/c I actually wanted a sports DLC (and ironically predicted 9 of the 16 character specific sports outfits as well. lol XD)

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I said that number because I don't really know a thing about GFX design yet lol (Hence being 14 and not being able to take a Graphics Design and Game Dev course which I will in 3 years). Though estimating that to make a fully fledged AAA-Class Fighting Game character costs $10,000, so I divided it by a whole lot to come up with this price. I know a little bit about making one though. Sorry about this though.

I see... ;)

This, for example, is a design I made today:

11196518936_3966ab72ae_b.jpg

From the first idea to this sketch, it cost me about 5 hours. Almost one whole work day. Colors aren't even set. Now, if this character/costume had to be implemented into a game, I'd need at least another whole work day to design and draw a back view, a side view and some more detailed drawings. Maybe of the shoes, the belt and how the seams run over the clothing. This will go a little faster, because I don't have to ponder over the design so much anymore.
I would not be the one constructing the polygon mesh and doing the texture work (though I would probably help searching or designing the best fitting textures). My design has to make it perfectly clear to the graphics guy, how everything has to look. So I, as the designer, sit at least two days on this one thing, and then comes the guy turning it into 3D and then there's the programmer, who does the technical stuff, I don't really have a clue of. But the clothing needs to move correctly, no glitches, no clipping. So, there are several people for many hours involved. And everyone needs to be paid...

crapoZK

Standard Donor

How do you make this, this MASTERPIECE? Can you PLEASE tell me what editing system you use please? Plus, how many people do you think make a 3D model design, per body-part? Like I've been designing stuff, but it's not as good as you're doing it. I haven't made a back OR side design for the most part. For the bigger things, I've made a full page dedicated to like a sword, or a tattoo for that matter.

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Thanks. :) It was completely sketched in Photoshop. I can't give you a standard number of people working on a 3D model. I'm just about finishing my studies and obviously haven't worked for lots of studios or even big ones. But, from what I know, it can range from one to several, depending how big a company is. My compartment is design and concept anyways, so I don't know that much of 3D design.

crapoZK

Standard Donor
Thanks. :) It was completely sketched in Photoshop. I can't give you a standard number of people working on a 3D model. I'm just about finishing my studies and obviously haven't worked for lots of studios or even big ones. But, from what I know, it can range from one to several, depending how big a company is. My compartment is design and concept anyways, so I don't know that much of 3D design.

You are very skilled at what you do because I can't even draw a stickman in Photoshop without it being choppy and overlayed as hell. I usually sketch my art out on paper, scan it in, and then use GIMP 2.0 (Don't has PS yet) to colour scheme it. Takes me about 6 hours on a whole.

Brute

Standard Donor
You're one to talk. Considering your constant "companies are malicious" spiel you go on, your inability to be pleased by almost anything (key word being almost), and your constant "they're out to get me" attitude, I really don't think you're in a position to be calling me an asshole.
Companies are greedy, at least in TN's case. They care about making absurd amounts of money and tits perpetually, and even if they have the time/resources to easily make things that would please their other fans they don't, even when money isn't an issue. Why you're okay with that is beyond me, but whatever. You're free to think what you like. But, recognizing that does not make me an asshole. At all.
And I'm actually ridiculously easy to please. Imagine you're throwing pebbles at someone's window every morning and he says: "If you would stop pointlessly ticking me off with the pebbles, I'd be absolutely satisfied." Very easy to satisfy. But, some wanks are determined to prevent him from being satisfied. That's me. That guy, behind the window. Easily satisfied, yet not; all because of the dickish practices of others. That also explains the "out to get me" thing you're referring to, though obviously I wouldn't word it that way.

And I don't need to change anything because I'm not lonely and have plenty of friends in this community. Probably, and this is a shot in the dark here, because I'm not an asshole.

Omniwhatevs

I see... ;)

This, for example, is a design I made today:

11196518936_3966ab72ae_b.jpg

From the first idea to this sketch, it cost me about 5 hours. Almost one whole work day. Colors aren't even set. Now, if this character/costume had to be implemented into a game, I'd need at least another whole work day to design and draw a back view, a side view and some more detailed drawings. Maybe of the shoes, the belt and how the seams run over the clothing. This will go a little faster, because I don't have to ponder over the design so much anymore.
I would not be the one constructing the polygon mesh and doing the texture work (though I would probably help searching or designing the best fitting textures). My design has to make it perfectly clear to the graphics guy, how everything has to look. So I, as the designer, sit at least two days on this one thing, and then comes the guy turning it into 3D and then there's the programmer, who does the technical stuff, I don't really have a clue of. But the clothing needs to move correctly, no glitches, no clipping. So, there are several people for many hours involved. And everyone needs to be paid...
Ok this looks awesome. Could totally be a new DOA character :D.

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
Companies are greedy, at least in TN's case. They care about making absurd amounts of money and tits perpetually, and even if they have the time/resources to easily make things that would please their other fans they don't, even when money isn't an issue. Why you're okay with that is beyond me, but whatever. You're free to think what you like. But, recognizing that does not make me an asshole. At all.
And I'm actually ridiculously easy to please. Imagine you're throwing pebbles at someone's window every morning and he says: "If you would stop pointlessly ticking me off with the pebbles, I'd be absolutely satisfied." Very easy to satisfy. But, some wanks are determined to prevent him from being satisfied. That's me. That guy, behind the window. Easily satisfied, yet not; all because of the dickish practices of others. That also explains the "out to get me" thing you're referring to, though obviously I wouldn't word it that way.

And I don't need to change anything because I'm not lonely and have plenty of friends in this community. Probably, and this is a shot in the dark here, because I'm not an asshole.
Well it's no wonder you're lonely. Quit being an asshole and maybe you'll make some friends.
You're my new best friend on this website.

Last edited:

Number 13

Companies are greedy, at least in TN's case. They care about making absurd amounts of money and tits perpetually, and even if they have the time/resources to easily make things that would please their other fans they don't, even when money isn't an issue.

Not saying I agree or disagree (I honestly don't give a shit either way about the inner workings of a distant Japanese group, but I have a healthy curiosity on certain topics so what the hell I'll play devil's advocate) with what your saying, but what is backing your quite frankly bold claims?

Companies are greedy in general yes. Nothing new to discover here. They have to be to survive in this modern capitalist environment with plenty of competition present, otherwise decreased profits happen which result to pay cuts/lay-offs on employees to cover the difference. Some would even go as far as praise greed(see meaning of "Greed is Good" explanation in the original Wall Street film) as a motivator for increased production and innovation.

Now back to TN case specifically. TN should naturally care about making money for reasons stated in above paragraph. TN should care about making tits (I personally don't care about the video game tits, but I won't deny they have the existing demographic who consumes for it at least in the Japan region) happen since its their trademark image of the DoA series at this point whether we like it or not. TN tried to tone down the sexuality, but they received an uproar backlash for their troubles.

Now how do we know again if TN the game dev group (Not Tecmo Koei company as a whole) is making "Absurds amounts of money"? This implies that it's common knowledge TN must be making remarkably high profits (Not just base revenue because that doesn't matter) to the point where even after deducting necessary expenses they still have enough money to do reckless things.

Is any of us on this site their personal ledger keeper? Have insider information (employee) that witnessed their financial dealings? Did TN publicly announces their finances in detail to the public? If no then this is all mere speculation, nothing more and nothing less.

On the "even if" assumptions of even if TN had the necessary resources to do X thing to please Y group of fans when money isn't an issue (capital holdings is always a constant issue) why should TN take the risk and invest on that when in contrast doing Z thing to please Q group of fans would yield much more favorable results? Doing this does not make them inherently greedy, but practical instead since their livelihoods are on the line.

Stories of Japanese game companies laying off waves of people is a common sight whenever shit hits the fan. Its great to try to please as many kinds of fans as you can....as long as its profitable to do so since that is always their #1 priority no matter how hard a company tries to maintain the guise of being pro-consumer (Sony with how they campaigned the PS4 recently).

Before people say the "You are a X employee!" statements...I'm not a pro-buisness guy, but I'm not one of those pro-consumer guys either who would blindly wave a sign around occupied Wall Street and expect an economic revolution to happen overnight because of a ruckus.

Last edited:

Brute

Standard Donor
Long(ish) post here, but please red it carefully and entirely because I have a valid point and I don't want someone cherry-picking away and missing my argument.

Not saying I agree or disagree (I honestly don't give a shit either way about the inner workings of a distant Japanese group, but I have a healthy curiosity on certain topics so what the hell I'll play devil's advocate) with what your saying, but what is backing your quite frankly bold claims?
The fact that they have Ryu's face fully modeled and refuse to give us a toggle option or costume for it. The fact that Tengu would have been way easier to implement in the game than Marie Rose and was much more highly requested. The fact that they don't give us the Warriors Orochi costumes in the West even when they're already done. I could go on for some time, but you get the picture.

Companies are greedy in general yes. Nothing new to discover here. They have to be to survive in this modern capitalist environment with plenty of competition present, otherwise decreased profits happen which result to pay cuts/lay-offs on employees to cover the difference. Some would even go as far as praise greed(see meaning of "Greed is Good" explanation in the original Wall Street film) as a motivator for increased production and innovation.
I hope people realize that the point of that movie was to illustrate how people with Gordon Gekko's "Greed is Good" mindset are actually deteriorating the fabric of our society and that corruption and greed are allegedly stripping our humanity.
Anyway, I get what you're trying to say, but this is not even a money issue as I'm about to explain below.

Now back to TN case specifically. TN should naturally care about making money for reasons stated in above paragraph. TN should care about making tits (I personally don't care about the video game tits, but I won't deny they have the existing demographic who consumes for it at least in the Japan region) happen since its their trademark image of the DoA series at this point whether we like it or not. TN tried to tone down the sexuality, but they received an uproar backlash for their troubles.
They didn't tone it down, they just tried to present it differently. Regardless, I'm not asking them to forfeit their fascination with boobs. I'm not crazy, they'll never do that. I'm just asking that they put an ounce of their time into things non-tit related that fans have been asking for. But when they do give attention to non-tit related things (which is rare, but it happens), it's not what the fans ask for. Why? I dunno. That's where my issue lies.

Now how do we know again if TN the game dev group (Not Tecmo Koei company as a whole) is making "Absurds amounts of money"? This implies that it's common knowledge TN must be making remarkably high profits (Not just base revenue because that doesn't matter) to the point where even after deducting necessary expenses they still have enough money to do reckless thing.
Overall they probably aren't. But, charging what they do for bunny bikini RE-SKINS is kinda dumb. But then again you're dumb if you bought them.
Point is, making things like, I dunno, Hayabusa's face, which they have already made, just not implemented (bein' dicks), would not require money/resources. Again, they already did it! They just won't let us have it. Basically 0 effort on their part; just won't do it because the fans have asked for it, I guess. That's what's irksome.

On the "even if" assumptions of even if TN had the necessary resources to do X thing to please Y group of fans when money isn't an issue (capital holdings is always a constant issue) why should TN take the risk and invest on that when in contrast doing Z thing to please Q group of fans would yield much more favorable results?
THERE'S NO RISK! THEY ALREADY MADE HIS FACE! Making his throwback costume would be the same effort as making, say, Ein's succubus costume. But unlike that monstrosity tons of people have asked for and want Hayabusa's throwback. It's not like they were "playing it safe" with Ein's costume. No one wants that shit. Come on. That's playing it way, way risky, and they put more effort into it than they'd have to for Hayabusa's throwback (which is a lot safer because again LOTS OF PEOPLE WANT IT). Starting to see the issue?

TL;DR: IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BOOBS THING! I mean hell, the Helena Greek Goddess thing is a great example. It's a sexy-boob related thing. But, since fans want it, Team Ninja won't make it. They just don't make the stuff fans want and instead spend resources on stuff they don't want. That is the issue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD