The Art Style and Graphics Discussion

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I wish Capcom would let Shinkiro, one of their best illustrators and character designers and who's working for them for ages already, do again a little more than just fancy illustrations for special editions or art books.

CYgFQ3aUQAA6raG.png:orig

tumblr_ng42d9AQiA1sp2gnbo1_1280.jpg

Imho a perfect stylistic mix of realism and comic and female as well as male characters look equally attractive and badass. Also no pin heads, giant hands and feet. ;) Still they seem capable of packing a mean punch and kick. Last but not least his illustrations are absolutely epic and really get me in the mood for fighting action.

KasumiLover

SovereignKnight_
Premium Donor
I wish Capcom would let Shinkiro, one of their best illustrators and character designers and who's working for them for ages already, do again a little more than just fancy illustrations for special editions or art books.

Imho a perfect stylistic mix of realism and comic and female as well as male characters look equally attractive and badass. Also no pin heads, giant hands and feet. ;) Still they seem capable of packing a mean punch and kick. Last but not least his illustrations are absolutely epic and really get me in the mood for fighting action.
I love that art style, it reminds me of the older udon SF comics.

UpSideDownGRUNT

"She kicks high..."

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I love that art style, it reminds me of the older udon SF comics.

Yeah, and instead we are getting kinda shitty, very quickly done art in and around the actual game:

Street Fighter V story mode illustrations:

04_sf5betatutorial07.jpg

04_sf5betatutorial04.jpg

04_sf5betatutorial02.jpg

The artist got skill (is this Bengus?) but it was obviously really rushed and feels more like concept art than anything else. The backgrounds are just in game screenshots with some filter applied to them. >__<'

And then there's the special Street Fighter V themed PS4 consoles:

street5-01.jpg

ME3050622101_2.jpg

An experienced artist sketches something like that in about 20 minutes. And apart from being quickly done and a little rough there's nothing wrong with it at all...but mere sketches as covers for special edition PS4s? o__O

Chapstick

Yeah, and instead we are getting kinda shitty, very quickly done art in and around the actual game:

Street Fighter V story mode illustrations:

04_sf5betatutorial07.jpg

04_sf5betatutorial04.jpg

04_sf5betatutorial02.jpg

The artist got skill (is this Bengus?) but it was obviously really rushed and feels more like concept art than anything else. The backgrounds are just in game screenshots with some filter applied to them. >__<'

And then there's the special Street Fighter V themed PS4 consoles:

View attachment 18007

ME3050622101_2.jpg

An experienced artist sketches something like that in about 20 minutes. And apart from being quickly done and a little rough there's nothing wrong with it at all...but mere sketches as covers for special edition PS4s? o__O
Chun Li looks really peculiar there

Argentus

Is that the same guy who did those super bland portraits for the cap com side in CvSNK2?

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Is that the same guy who did those super bland portraits for the cap com side in CvSNK2?
Yes, that was also Shinkiro. I know you don't like his stuff for some reason. You already mentioned that in this thread before. ;)

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
Definetely in agreement with @Tyaren about not enough Shinkiro love from capcom. I would have LOVED to see SFV's art style mimic Shinkiro over bengus as it would have been a brilliant departure from SFIV.

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I feel like I'm in Twilight Zone right now. @__@
First of all Square Enix released new official screenshots of Final Fantasy XV...which look like utter dog poop. Full view please:

CZlP4STWkAAKcEY.jpg:orig

CZlQIK9WEAMR_vv.jpg:orig

(@Chapstick, Duscae didn't look this shitty, did it? o__O')

And then people on Twitter and in Neogaf are like:
"OMG these look so amazing!!"

What? .___.

Chapstick

I feel like I'm in Twilight Zone right now. @__@
First of all Square Enix released new official screenshots of Final Fantasy XV...which look like utter dog poop. Full view please:

CZlP4STWkAAKcEY.jpg:orig

CZlQIK9WEAMR_vv.jpg:orig

(@Chapstick, Duscae didn't look this shitty, did it? o__O')

And then people on Twitter and in Neogaf are like:
"OMG these look so amazing!!"

What? .___.
I don't think I see any anti-aliasing at all. And these boring af environments...

tumblr_o1blxqf3fO1ql5yr7o2_250.gif

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Looks like they're low res shots? I mean surely it'll look infinitely better on your screens

These are full 1080p screens. These shots are not compressed. Look at the HUD, it's completely clear, no artifacting.
Don't you see the non existing aliasing, anisotropic filterig and LOD (level of detail). A few feet away from the camera everything is a blur. Look at the mountains in the desert shot. They have shadows but literally no textures.
The worst is the Duscae shot though. What happened to the grass and bushes? The grass looks completely pixelated in the foreground and vanishes just a few feet away completely. Everything looks flat and empty.

Last edited:

Jadeinchains

Yeah now that you've pointed it out the grass really does just vanish after a while. I wonder what they did to make it go down in quality so much.

At least there's cute rhino things though.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Bless those poor, blind souls on the internet. :( Comments regarding these new screens:

"Screens look nice as hell. Love the UI."

"Looks so damn goooood"

"Beautiful images."

"om fucking g it's looking fantastic"

"Screens look awesome."

"damn this looks good. i may have to buy this too!!!"

"Those look......stunning. Are they real? If so, my god..."

"The Higher res screens are gorgeous."

People that are indeed seeing how bad the screens are, mostly play it down with "They are badly compressed.". They are actually not that badly compressed. Here an example:

Uncompressed original:

FINAL FANTASY XV EPISODE DUSCAE_20151001024556.png

Compressed version:

Compressed.jpg

Notice how typically everything is compressed, the UI on the right too? The UI doesn't stay perfectly clean as it is in these newly released Screens of FFXV.
And even if a screenshot is compressed, poor LOD, missing antialiasing, missing anisotropic filtering etc. don't suddenly appear out of the blue. You can easily tell a game is pretty or ugly even with strong compression.

Last edited:

Jadeinchains

Graphics aren't super important to me and I do still think the game looks great, I'm more just confused as to what happened in these screens to make it look not as good.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD