DOA5LR TGS interviews

werewolfgold

Okay, guys. I translated the Famitsu interview in its entirety. I guess I wanted the practice. But, do me a favor and actually read it so I won't feel like I wasted my time. lol

WARNING: The following interview may cause involuntary facepalming.

From Breast Motion to Serious Talk
 Tokyo Game Show 2014 is underway here in Chiba Prefecture at the Makuhari Messe. We spoke with producer Yousuke Hayashi regarding Koei-Tecmo Games' fighting game, Dead or Alive 5: Last Round, coming to Playstation 4, Playstation 3, Xbox One, and Xbox 360.

Koei-Tecmo Games Producer, Yousuke Hayashi
Famitsu: Oh, maaaan, the naturalness of the breast motion is amazing, huh? We took a video of it and uploaded it to YouTube, and it's coming up on 30,000 views.

Hayashi: Everyone loves it, huh? (lol)

I sure do! Now then, this time you're showing off the PS4 version of the game. You've casually made some additions to the characters' hairstyles, didn't you?

Oh. I'm surprised you noticed!

When we picked Hitomi, we were like "There's probably no bobcut or anything in here... Ah, is this a new hairstyle!?" You nonchalantly put it in there, huh? (lol)

That's correct. There a lot of small details thrown in there. Although, because this is the debut of the PS4 version, generally we're promoting the "soft engine".

Hence the rumors of the newly created breast motion system. (lol)

Yes. (lol) We now have the new consoles, the Playstation 4 and the Xbox One, and we really wanted a simple way to show where we've improved things, as well as express to all DOA fans how much more charming the girls have gotten. Simply, "The breast motion has become relentless!" or something like that perspective is what we wanted to give out, and from there, even though you can't touch them in real life, we really wanted people to feel the "softness".

Like "gravity is at work here".

In order to make something that would make people say, "Wow, so soft!", the next-gen was indispensable, you see.

The "soft engine" won't be on the PS3 and Xbox360?

That's right. The engine won't work.

To get the full satisfaction out of the soft breasts, be sure to buy the PS4 or Xbox One versions. But, really, the breast motion is amazing, huh? The look of the girls' skin, together with the video quality, watching it really takes you aback. (lol)

If you thoroughly check out how cute the girls are rendered in their realistic facial expressions, it really makes you feel like we've arrived. If you look at it on a big screen, we'll have you feeling thankful that you bought a next-gen system.

I know, right? For Dead or Alive, there are fans looking forward to the fighting and fans who admire the girls. But, if admiring the girls is what you're after, you have to get the game on the next-gen consoles. Right now, it looks like there are a lot of people who saw the breast motion and went "Oh...!?"

I believe that the two facets of the girls being cute and a really fun are the identity of the Dead or Alive series. And we want to carry that over to the PS4 and Xbox One. And for those that have those systems and like that type of game, I'm thinking we want to be able to promote something that will have them thinking "The new consoles are awesome."

Something to look forward to, definitely. Well then, we also wanted to talk about the game's contents. Regarding this demo version, is it okay to think that it's running at the same level as the arcade and home versions?

It's basically the same, but things like hairstyles have been added. "THE DANGER ZONE" stage which was in the first Dead or Alive has made its return. We managed to get it in there in time. The other additions are in different stages of development. As you can see in the character select screen, there are some suspicious squares in there. Please look forward to more information about that.

Like, "Hey, there are extra spaces in there?" (lol)

Well, I'll go on and say it! We're are in the middle of making one male and one female character. The male character is one that fans will be happy with, and as for the female character, we want people to have high hopes.

As for whether the characters have shown up in the past series or are only now making an appearance...?

That's a secret! But, the female character... I wonder if it's okay to be saying this much.

Please!!!!!!!

Alright, I'll tell you. (lol) The female isn't a returning character, but a new one. She's really popular among the development team, so I think everyone should look forward to her reveal. We're putting the soft engine to full power, after all. (lol)

By the way, is her hair color black? Or is it something else?

...Something else.

Ohhhhhhh! The soft engine at full power, and her hair isn't black...! By the way, do you have plans to do more to balance the existing characters?

We're always doing that. It's possible that we may end up bringing some changes to the arcade version first. We also plan to keep at it after release.

Is it possible that other things will come to the arcade first?

Characters "may" come to the arcade version first. I say "may" because many things are still being decided. Once decisions are made, we'll let you know.

I'm looking forward to it! Last thing, I think that there will be a lot of people that will come to play the demo on Saturday. Do you think you can discreetly tell me what kinds of additions have been made to the demo? (lol)

That's something that I want everyone to find for themselves. (lol)

I suppose that would be true. (lol) Will things like the amount of hairstyles increase?

Hairstyles and stages will increase. After that, even more options will be added. The characters will be moving on a full HD screen, so do try to enjoy it.

Check Out the Videos, Too!
 Now, we'll reveal a new gameplay video! The Nyotengu video was already released, but now we took a video of Hitomi! She was picked because the reporter has a thing for Hitomi! He lost on purpose and made it easy to notice the breast motion, so be sure to check it out! What's more, in the video with Hitomi in the swimsuit, is the new stage "THE DANGER ZONE"!

Yeaaaaahhh. So, I suppose it's...enlightening...to see how Famitsu chooses to cover the game...

Last edited:

kabukisama

Thanks for the translation werewolfgold! I found the part about the arcade version an interesting nugget of info. It sounds like they might be planning to release the new characters for arcade version first. Then, we'll be able to use the new characters with the release of Last Round(hopefully). Don't quote me or anything. Just my speculation. So, I don't think your work was a waste at all.

Leifang2000

Torn Clothing/ SENRAN KAGURA collaborations Details:

DOA may have torn clothing. (From SENRAN maybe?)
SENRAN KAGURA may have DOA costumes.

During Weekly Famitsu Tokyo Game Show Live broadcast today, when asked about the details of the collaboration, Hayashi said "Torn Clothing" while Taka from Marvalous said he wants DOA costume in Senran.

The collaboration talk started one and a half year ago during a meal.

Last edited:

HHH816

i don't usually use power blow but if the cloth can torn a bit by bit as the match progresses i'm gonna be a very happy man

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
facepalm4.jpg

KwonJigglypuff

I hope it will be specific to one costume (a Senran Kagura costume for all the girls), and not for all the catalogue, because that would be a waste of time for such a small detail (which will probably become DOA6's main selling point anyway).

Number 13

Makes sense that destructive clothing (This seems to be an increasing trend in japanese otaku centric games) can happen for DoA considering EV will have wet/dirt (Something from DoA) on their clothing now. I remember back when SCIV had a similar mechanic where a fully armored woman will be reduced to her undergarments if you damage all three areas enough.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Thanks for the translation, WWG.

Jeez, I felt embarrassed reading through that interview. They need to market the game different. There's only so far you can go with the 'sex is still selling' badge before people start laughing about it and not take it seriously. If THAT is actually how you want to market the game by not taking yourself seriously, then also try to add a dimension where you are serious about some other aspect. Show that a bit more too.

Intelligent Alpha

Thanks for the translation, WWG.

Jeez, I felt embarrassed reading through that interview. They need to market the game different. There's only so far you can go with the 'sex is still selling' badge before people start laughing about it and not take it seriously. If THAT is actually how you want to market the game by not taking yourself seriously, then also try to add a dimension where you are serious about some other aspect. Show that a bit more too.

The in-genius world of advertising! XD

@Leifang2000: Torn clothing? We already have MK, but you can tear more than just clothes! SC with the armor! Sweat and dirt isn't enough? The girls are already half-naked (Alpha is in the buff, period!) Just ... no!

Last edited:

Emmanuel

im sorry that i always ask the stupid cuestions but is this gonna be a bundle for the curren game (ultimate ps3 in my case) or you have to buy it separately like what happen with vanilla and ultimate?, cuz im currently poor and im not gonna buy a ps4 just yet and i want to upgrade my current game insted of having to buy another one hopefully we get a bundle (like a 20 bucks or 15 like ultra street fighter).

Last edited:

KwonJigglypuff

Also, it's interesting to note that in the trailer, there were 15 characters from SK in the picture, and we have 15 female characters in DOA (with the new female one, and minus Sarah/Pai). I guess all of them will have a little something..

I tried to read the wikis to understand these characters, but maybe you SK fans can tell me where I'm wrong.
This is based on personality, animal totem, appearance, a bit of their story, their rivalry etc.

1411334192-10658913-583373318441134-8310671675051560321-o.jpg

I know there is a gothic girl who would suit Marie-Rose in SK, so it probably means nothing.

WisperG

im sorry that i always ask the stupid cuestions but is this gonna be a bundle for the curren game (ultimate ps3 in my case) or you have to buy it separately like what happen with vanilla and ultimate?, cuz im currently poor and im not gonna buy a ps4 just yet and i want to upgrade my current game insted of having to buy another one hopefully we get a bundle (like a 20 bucks or 15 like ultra street fighter).

They've said nothing so far about there being an upgrade. I wouldn't count on it though. LR will be available on PS3 and 360 also, for cheaper than the PS4/XBOne versions cost if you can't afford to get a new console.

Leifang2000

The in-genius world of advertising! XD

@Leifang2000: Torn clothing? We already have MK, but you can tear more than just clothes! SC with the armor! Sweat and dirt isn't enough? The girls are already half-naked (Alpha is in the buff, period!) Just ... no!

Just Yes in the original DOA1 and the most recent DOA5U. (and also Tina in DOA2Hardcore)
BTW, Hayashi said when thinking about SERAN, it is obviously the idea of "torn".
So you can imagine something else other than clothing being torn before the game release if you don't like it.

DOA1_LeiFang_C8.png

DOA5U-Kokoro_C25.jpg

David Gregg

We're always doing that. It's possible that we may end up bringing some changes to the arcade version first. We also plan to keep at it after release.

Is it possible that other things will come to the arcade first?

Characters "may" come to the arcade version first. I say "may" because many things are still being decided. Once decisions are made, we'll let you know.

Okay so this is definitely the most important part of the interview (which I'm surprised they even discussed given how focused they were on breasts). XD It's also better news for us b/c if they do decide to release content to 5UA first we'll get to find out who the characters are sooner. ;)

Kronin

@Emmanuel: No one talked of upgrade, so I don't believe that this will happen. Anyway it was confirmed that 5LR will be available even on Xbox 360 and PS3 (only digital version) for $29.99

@David Gregg If you are suggesting that the charactes will be added soon to 5UA, I don't believe that this will be the case: very likely TN will upgrade before the Arcade from the Ultimate version to the Last Round one, and I'm not sure if this will happen before the release on console (but this time there is a chance).

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD