TGS 2011 Trailer Breakdown

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
So now that the trailer is now available: [medio]127[/medio]

I thought I'd go through it frame by frame to see what's happening. Keep in mind that the trailer runs at 30 fps and I currently have not found a 60 fps version and doubt it exists. It should be noted that as a pre-alpha build all content is not in the game and the title is subject to change from this depiction. Additionally, I would expect the movesets to be similar to previous versions as it's easier to use those motions for a trailer than to develop new content. In my experience, these trailers typically show off content as it was a month or two months prior. However, here are my thoughts about the trailer and my findings from it as well:

The trailer opens with a nighttime city and a construction building's rooftop. Apparently looks just as dark and gritty as DOA3. I personally like.

0:09:00 - Hayabusa appears followed by Hayate who apparently has received a haircut and looks more mature (Link)

0:15:00 - Match starts and both men begin freestepping

0:16:00 - Hayabusa does his :6::6::P: which stuns Hayate instead of Hayate evading it. In the previous entries, even DOA3, this would have hit a freestepping opponent as FSD only applies to the initial step.

0:17:00 - Hayabusa does his :3::P::P::P: continuing stun

0:18:01 - Hayabusa does his slide kick (forget the notation) and Hayate breaks out of the stun with a low defensive hold (Link) There was one frame of animation before this hold

0:18:07 - Hayate's low defensive hold connects with Hayabusa's slide kick (on the eighth frame)

0:20:00 - Hayabusa techs up and as it's consistent in Team NINJA trailers, there is never any show of the wake-up kicks

0:20:01 - Hayate connects with :6::K: which puts Haybusa in the head reeling stun (DOA3 Hayate's :8::P::P:)

0:20:24 - Hayate connects with :3::P: continuing stun into a lift stun

0:21:12 - Hayate attempts his DOA3 :4::P+K: (I know this was in DOA4 but i forget the notation) but Haybusa initiates a high defensive hold into Izuna Otoshi.

0:25:27 - Hayabusa does :2::1::4::K: through a crossbeam into a back teching Hayate

0:26:20 - Hayate is knocked into some trashcans/wall and bounces off to the side back in okizeme

0:28:14 - Hayabusa connects with his Ninpo Punch attack to a guarding Hayate who is then guard broken but comes out of guard break before Hayabusa has fully animated back to neutral.

0:30:02 - Hayate connects with an instant stunning :3_::P: followed by a second attack in the string that causes knockback. Either it's an alternate to his :3_::P::P: or it's been replaced, probably :3_::P::P+K: or something. Hayabusa gets knocked into the wall but again just bounces off (similar to DOA2 getting knocked into the wall at the side causing half-wall damage I guess) (Link)

0:31:01 - Hayabusa attempts to throw after teching up but is hit by Hayate's :6::6::P:

0:31:25 - While still stunned, Hayabusa is hit by Hayate's :6::6::K::K::K:

0:32:16 - Hayabusa is knocked into the generator wall and a small cutscene appears blowing Hayabusa back to the center of the ring.

0:35:15 - Hayate's :3::F+K::K::P+K: is blocked by Hayabusa

0:36:29 - Hayabusa's :6::K::K: connects on Hayate who immediately techs to the background without staying in grounded state.

0:38:21 - Hayabusa begins a jab string which whiffs on Hayate's DOA4 :8::P+K::P:. Hayabusa's second attack in the string tracks to Hayate before being counter hit.

0:39:13 - Hayate's :8::P+K::P: causes a sitdown stun on Hayabusa which Hayate follows up with his :8::P::K:. Note that the :8::P: didn't launch, it is unknown if Hayabusa escaped stun in time or if the move just doesn't launch on early threshold.

0:41:06 - Hayabusa does a quick recover to the foreground (DOA4 ground game :-/)

0:42:12 - Hayabusa does his hadouken attack (:1::P+K:? or :4::P+K:?) but Hayate's :7::P: evades it. Don't know if this is a smaller hitbox on Hayabusa or Hayate just has a smaller hurt box on his attack.

0:43:12 - Hayabusa attempts throwin Hayate who does a DOA3 :8::8::K: sidestep attack which causes ground bounce. and combos into a new string that forces Hayabusa on the ground.

0:45:25 - Hayabusa techs up while Hayate performs a ninja technique charge.

0:46:13 - Hayabusa goes into ninpo stance while Hayate connects his technique giving him a canned animation cutscene, knocking Hayabusa out of the ring where he's holding onto the edge.

The trailer ends there.

So what do you think? Same 'ol engine, or does it look like some promise?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Virtuapai made mention in another thread that after the generator explosion the stage altered.

REALDEMO

Standard Donor
With stuns and wall mechanics still in play, I'd say it's largely the same engine. No HUD forces us to guess the requirements of executing that 'super' (charge + hit on counter?), but that addition alone will definitely change people's fighting styles in DOA5.

I mentioned this in another thread, but it looks like they're using the same visual style as represented in the Ninja Gaiden series (more mature. I've always preferred that look), as well as keeping the hit particles implemented in DOA:Dimensions. The camera work flows a lot better, and in this case the camera seems to pivot a bit upwards when we see the stage transform. There's also a bunch of crap on stage now; cones, barrier at 00:26... looks to have no impact on character movement though. Purely cosmetics- I actually laughed when I saw all the tangibles fly over Ryu's head after Hayate's super.

Punishere

Is it me or, the hit animation and the block animation effects look the same. . . More than likely they will change it since this is a very early build.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Yeah, as mentioned at the beginning, it's to be expected that move animations and such would be relatively old as it's easier to carry over the old and work off of it. I would imagine this footage is of a build one to two months ago around the time of DID7.

I do like the direction of not throwing out the girls and tits. It's two male characters, in a dark arena, close quarters combat, and even a male announcer.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
I really like the graphics but the large focus on stuns like in DOA4 makes me bite my lip. I also do hope that the camera doesn't shift around that much during gameplay. I understand that this is for a promotional video, obviously, and the angles are just for show but the camera was still shifting around, even more-so than in Dimensions. I also do hope that the camera is a bit more zoomed out than DOA4 and DOAD, like DOA2 and 3 to not just show off the environments but there gameplay significance in knowing where you are in the environment. Edit: It actually does look like the camera might be a bit more zoomed out already. Nice.

We really need them to not fuck this up.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Based on my studies of the animation system, the frame disadvantage doesn't necessarily mean the player is stuck until returning to neutral. So it's possible Hayabusa could have had an advantage there, just can't tell based off of video footage.

Raansu

Right now I still believe its too early to really judge anything. As it stands, with what little footage we have, it looks too much like doa4, and it seems to me like they are trying to remove the wall game. Also still seems like sidestepping is still more for positioning than dodging (although it seems like the sidestep attacks and other evasive moves are more effective). Also as mentioned, I didn't like seeing Hayate getting guard broken, and then some how magically recovering before his opponent.

Again, its still way too early to make any kind of real judgement, and deep down I can only hope that Shimbori-san truly listened to us when we were at Dallas. The fact that the games visuals is darker and looks more like doa3 does give me some hope though, but its not enough to get me hyped.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I agree Ransuu, but we do have to remember that this is a Pre Alpha vid. I was talking with Sorwah, and we do believe that this was created sometime before DID....so any of the suggestions that we have made, would not be implemented in that build. I am somewhat optimistic only because we have seen the reaction from Shimbori-san while playing Doa3, and he was adamant in knowing why we "preferred" Doa3. If the base of Doa5 is Doa4, but incorporates all of the points we stressed, I will be somewhat pleased with the final results.

Zero254

This game needs a crush system.

If I can play as Alpha-152 I'm good so long as she had her sidestep that dodges some high attacks.

I feel like cheating as her cause she doesn't follow the game's system.

It's going to be weird playing this however. (I REALLY HOPE THEY GRAB ONE OF YOU GUYS AND FORCE YOU TO TEST THIS GAME AND NOT RANDOM VIRTUA OR TEKKEN GUYS. I love tekken though.)

Anyone else notice they kept hitsparks?

JAG THE GEMINI

Nice work Mr. Wah.

I am really looking forward to see how this game, and especially it´s fighting game machanic turns out(hopefully just no DOA4 clone). ^^

Gill Hustle

I really like the graphics but the large focus on stuns like in DOA4 makes me bite my lip. I also do hope that the camera doesn't shift around that much during gameplay. I understand that this is for a promotional video, obviously, and the angles are just for show but the camera was still shifting around, even more-so than in Dimensions. I also do hope that the camera is a bit more zoomed out than DOA4 and DOAD, like DOA2 and 3 to not just show off the environments but there gameplay significance in knowing where you are in the environment. Edit: It actually does look like the camera might be a bit more zoomed out already. Nice.

We really need them to not fuck this up.

I personally like the camera angles cuz of the added intensity, but understand why people didn't like it in DOAD (maybe an option to change)

Also, agree with Mr. Wah regarding presentation.

While I really wanted to see Ayane, this gives the impression of "play times over" and we're ready to run with the big boys.

Hearing the announcer say GET READY, gave me a chill, and that stage. . .hopefully means the end of random leopard danger zones.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
No, I didn't notice the hit sparks. At all.

@Gill, I think the fact DOAD didn't have such dangerzones means they aren't keeping them. I even brought it up to Team NINJA at DID7 how we used to joke that the Evo World Finals would be won because of the cheetah, dino, or car.

Gill Hustle

@Gill, I think the fact DOAD didn't have such dangerzones means they aren't keeping them. I even brought it up to Team NINJA at DID7 how we used to joke that the Evo World Finals would be won because of the cheetah, dino, or car.

Sorry let me clarify.

I was going mre to the point that danger zone in the vid was a lot more creative, and a lot less random looking.

Also that they went with a REALLY DOPE ASS CITYSCAPE.

While I like the natural settings in DOA, I always thought DOA wide open combat could be locales like say the Subway level from VF3

Raansu

@VP
I agree, which is why I said twice that its really too early to make any judgments =P. The conversations we had with Shimbori-san makes me optimistic as well, but I'm also watching this one step at a time. I just don't want to be overly hyped and then crushed like I was with doa4 (especially after that update for 4.1 ugh)

@Zero
Erm, Alpha is pretty terrible in DoAD. She has a lot of easy to read strings, she has some really slow recovery times, and all of her holds are useless as they all just teleport, and you can actually trap alpha and she can't do anything because her defensive holds trap her in the same spot. Sooo I'm not really sure how you feel like you a cheating by using her heh.

@Gil
I'm in class so I have no idea how the game sounds =(. But I do love the new art style, however I hope the doad style camera angles was just for presentation.

@Sorwah
Really? You didn't notice the hit sparks? I notice that like right away lol. I am glad its not as blatantly obvious as it was in doad though. That stood out really bad and was pretty distracting imo.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
It looks like it's the DOAD sort of camerawork where it's constantly zooming in and out. It was really random and disorienting in Dimensions. I hope it's not in the final game.

How could you miss them?

Didn't you listen to the end of the trailer? You don't see it but the trailer ends on a semi-truck KOing Ryu. Something to worry about.

Raansu

It looks like it's the DOAD sort of camerawork where it's constantly zooming in and out. It was really random and disorienting in Dimensions. I hope it's not in the final game.

How could you miss them?

Didn't you listen to the end of the trailer? You don't see it but the trailer ends on a semi-truck KOing Ryu. Something to worry about.

Personally right now I'm viewing most of that CS stuff as cannon until we get more information on the game, which is probably several months from now, bleh.

Raansu

I keep watching this trailer, and I'm really worried about that wall game. I'm hoping its just in this stage, but they just bounce off the wall and hit the ground instead of bouncing off the wall into a stun, and when Ryu hit the ground he tech rolled immediately. I really hope this isn't a sign that they are removing the wall game.

As for the guard break. Its really subtle, but it almost looks like Ryu recovers before Hayate does.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD