Street Fighter x Tekken = Ass?

Relius Starkiller

2012 is shaping up to be the year of lowered expectations.

First: Mass Effect 3 disappoints.

Now: After playing 4 hours of SFXT, I've already decided its not worth my time.

A)Its far too easy to chain together damaging combos. Like, 4 steps below Blaz Blue easy.

B) The online is shit

C) The music is shit

D) The story is shit.

E) The training mode is shit.

Am I missing something here, because everyone I've talked to about this game is kinda on the same wave length but there are a lot of apologists lurking round these parts so I wanna hear why its not Capcom's fault that this game isn't fun :/

ScattereDreams

Capcom just made ass choices that the game is boring. The system is fun but, the lack of content makes the game the way it is. Music sucks will agree and, so does the online but it is fun playing with people who have past experience/skill in ssf4.

I rented it from gamefly so maybe that's why i'm not as upset as the people who bought it lol.

Jefffcore

I think SFxT is amazing; it's hella fun.

After playing DOA, how can you complain about ease of combos? -_-

It's the online, it can be fixed.

It's just music. The sound cutting in and out online will be fixed.

What story? Fighting games aren't known for stories.

Why do you think training is shit? What did they not give you? You can even do training mode online...

The only "bad" choice I see was the new net code, but that will be fixed.

Raansu

You really expected a Capcom game to have decent netcode? Other companies need to figure out what Namco did with SC5 and copy their network code as SC5 online is brilliant.

R4712-VR88

I've yet to touch SFxT and I honestly don't want to.

- The graphics and HUD look like garbage.
- The music has a few decent tracks and the rest are just bland.
- There's freezes when launching your opponent.
- Gems.
- Terrible online play with sound loss issues.
- Console exclusive characters.
- DLC bullsh/t where Capcom makes on-disc DLC when they say they don't, people go nuts about it, hackers unlock DLC characters and play them online.
- Infinites discovered.
- Most-likely new updated version few months down the line for $40 with everything unlocked on disc.

Been most hyped with TxSF and hope Namco doesn't screw it up as bad as Capcom has.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
I think SFxT is amazing; it's hella fun.
You've admitted in the past you were pro-Street Fighter. Of course you'd say that.

How, indeed.

It's the synchronicity between characters that determine ease of use.

Yet those who have a 360 will be eternally screwed with the way Scramble Mode is handled.

It's just music. The sound cutting in and out online will be fixed.
I play most of the soundtrack as custom music to Sonic Generations. Hell, going by the lyrics alone, "Honest Eyes" even sounds like it fits in better with Sonic Generations as the main theme, in all its Crush 40-esque glory, haha.

Rival Schools and Blazblue would like to have a serious word with you.

And trust me, where the story's concerned, they can do A LOT better than fighting over a stupid box Ingrid just planted there so she can get off to their reactions. In all honesty, I'd rather see this whole mismatched crossover idea in comic book format. Bring me my Capcom vs. SNK 3, for cryin' out loud.

Why do you think training is shit? What did they not give you? You can even do training mode online...
I have no arguments.

Ao Shun's got you there, Relius.

My biggest gripe with the game so far is the way they handled additional characters as DLC, when they're already on the disc. That,and they have some dude who looks like Gomer Pyle from "Full Metal Jacket" cosplaying as the Bad Box Art version of Megaman. Gomer Pyle? Really? Other than that, here's to hoping Tekken x Street Fighter gets it right with the story as well as more potential dream matches with the right choice of characters. (SakuraxKarinxAsukaxLili...make it happen. ;))

x Sypher x

Taking this into consideration I kinda feel bad for the competitive players who are in Cross Assault right now. I wonder how many of them feel the same way lol. But they're in it for the money anyways, they can't back out now after putting so much time in.

Raansu

Taking this into consideration I kinda feel bad for the competitive players who are in Cross Assault right now. I wonder how many of them feel the same way lol. But they're in it for the money anyways, they can't back out now after putting so much time in.

Deja Vu

Relius Starkiller

It's just music.

DOA's combo's aren't really guaranteed until you get into the air - SFXT combos are easy AND the majority of it is guaranteed AND super damaging.

The online can be fixed? Sure it can but then their going to nickle and dime us for DLC thats on the disc.

Good music has been a staple of the fighting game genre since SF2. Almost every theme in that game is kick ass. Imagine Guilty Gear with shitty music. . .not the game changer we all remember it to be for sure.

Awesmic also called it on the Blazblue and Rival Schools but I'd also like to throw in the MK series (especially the MK9). A bad story harms replay value - and that goes double when the online mode is ass.

Theres no VF/DOA move list trials - as far as I can tell. There should be a mode that allows you to go through each and every move in order without having to jump back to the menu every time you want to check the button combinations, Also your moves are two menus deep. The game should know that I'm playing with Steve Fox - why am I having to click on my character to get to his move list? Dumb design.

And the UI is slow, damn slow.

And the fucking gems. . .lord.

I just pray that Tekken vs Street Fighter is just Tekken 6 with street fighter main stays.

Relius Starkiller

All those 9's and 9.5's make me shake my head. . .its the same as IGN giving Mass Effect 3 that 9.5 knowing that the ending was garbage.

I think a lot of these reviewers are on the take.

Game Over

All those 9's and 9.5's make me shake my head. . .its the same as IGN giving Mass Effect 3 that 9.5 knowing that the ending was garbage.

I think a lot of these reviewers are on the take.

Well, considering the infamous moment when a reviewer (Jeff Gerstmann) was honest about a game (Kane & Lynch) and got FIRED for it ... you can see why many reviews have come to be unreliable.

x Sypher x

Theres no VF/DOA move list trials - as far as I can tell.

Yes they both have them. They're not really called trials perse (idk if i spelled that right), but in VF5's Dojo it's called "Command Training" and DOA's Sparring Mode has "Exercise", both of which take you through the entire move list.

Relius Starkiller

Yes they both have them. They're not really called trials perse (idk if i spelled that right), but in VF5's Dojo it's called "Command Training" and DOA's Sparring Mode has "Exercise", both of which take you through the entire move list.

Exercise and Command Training, those are the words I was looking for.

Every fighter should have those modes.

Jefffcore

Have you been watching? From what I can tell the higher level players are loving the game

See, I don't play fighting games for music, or story, I play because I enjoy using my head, I enjoy the learning experience. So to say the game isn't good because the music sucks or the story is lame is the opposite to what I see a fighting game as. I would say "most" view them the same way.

Right now I'm pro everything that's not DOA4

x Sypher x

Have you been watching? From what I can tell the higher level players are loving the game

See, I don't play fighting games for music, or story, I play because I enjoy using my head, I enjoy the learning experience. So to say the game isn't good because the music sucks or the story is lame is the opposite to what I see a fighting game as. I would say "most" view them the same way.

I never said they hated it. I've been watching as well and I've also heard praise from some of them, but I was also raising the question of who doesn't give it much praise. I mean of course the majority of SF fans will love it cuz it's another fucking Street Fighter title. As for the Tekken fans, yeah not so much I'm sure. I bet they're anxiously waiting for TxSF to drop.

And yeah I kinda take the same approach to fighting games, KINDA. Music is important to help players get engaged in the fight. The story not so much, I mean you can only play story mode so many times.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
You really expected a Capcom game to have decent netcode? Other companies need to figure out what Namco did with SC5 and copy their network code as SC5 online is brilliant.

I've figured it out to an extent... specifically both clients re-sync with a third party server at the start of every round, and the connection slowly degrades as time goes on in that round. If the game is experiencing minor lag the game will also actually slow down the frame rate in a very small manner to compensate so that many moves can still be reacted to. Next round it re-syncs, and its refreshed to optimal settings.

Jefffcore

Theres no VF/DOA move list trials - as far as I can tell. There should be a mode that allows you to go through each and every move in order without having to jump back to the menu every time you want to check the button combinations, Also your moves are two menus deep. The game should know that I'm playing with Steve Fox - why am I having to click on my character to get to his move list? Dumb design.

Trial mode

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD