Stances and DoA

Chris Harris

Stances in Dead or Alive games has always been something that is strange to use for someone who is coming from another game. In other games usually if you transition to a stance it puts you at neutral, you have advantage, or the spacing is a factor in the defensive player options. In Dead or Alive games transitioning to a stance will almost always leave you at disadvantage and you can be poked out of it.

Before we get to how stances are used in Dead or Alive we should look at the mechanic Dead or Alive has that no other game has. The stun system which basically gives you three options once you are in fact stunned; defensive hold, struggle (slow escape), or do nothing. No other game has a situation like that pop up as often as it does in Dead or Alive so keep that in my mind when thinking of stances.

Stances in Dead or Alive aren’t to force a guess on a neutral opponent or press an advantage on block. If you try to use them that way you will find it is very difficult to apply pressure because they are poking you out of it instantly and pressing their own advantage. Using a stance in Dead or Alive should be used when you have stunned your opponent and they have to deal with the mix ups.

I will use Helena as an example of a character who has a stance. Her Bokuho stance seems horrible on paper because if you ever try to go into it on block you will get poked out of it or whatever attack you try to use will be beat out because you are at disadvantage. If the opponent is stunned then Bokuho becomes much stronger. With the opponent stunned you have multiple single hit launchers, a very fast sweep, a launching throw, and a variety of strings to keep the opponent guessing. This can be said for her BT (back turned) stance as well as she is normally negative transitioning to that as well. However if you are stunned she has another fast sweep, launchers, and throws as well. Now Helena was just an example but this can be said for pretty much every stance in Dead or Alive.

Now with Dead or Alive 5 coming out transitioning into a stance on block is even worse because there is a working side step now. Using a stance in that manner now is even more dangerous now because even if your attack comes out you can be stepped and stunned which is leading to the opponent’s offense.

So before you think a stance isn’t as strong check all the options out of it and try to apply it with your opponent stunned.

Berzerk!

If you transition to stance with Pai in vf5fs from close up you can be hit out of it. Or at least the follow up stance attack can be interrupted. Some cases will need to be distance safe or know the opponent.

Doa will not be much different for stance characters but I do agree getting into stance should not put you at disadvantage

Doug Nguyen

I love the stances in DOA. I feel like many games just use stances to fit in more moves (Mortal Kombat). When i use Christie im in her serpent stance almost half the game. It gives great spacing and is tricky to counter since she has so many quick options. Its really great for making your opponent whiff a wake up kick. Thats why i was sad to hear you cant stay in her serpent stance anymore, but after Dr.Doggs break down, im positive her changes out way any cons.

TRI Mike

If you transition to stance with Pai in vf5fs from close up you can be hit out of it. Or at least the follow up stance attack can be interrupted. Some cases will need to be distance safe or know the opponent.

Doa will not be much different for stance characters but I do agree getting into stance should not put you at disadvantage

I was thinking about Pai as well when I read Chris' post. I've recently started to play her and switching to Bokutai from close distances is extremely unsafe it seems.

Anyway, Rig seems to transition with + a lot while Helena is negative all the time. Many other characters are getting new stances like Jaheiko with Christie or Dragon with Jann Lee. I suppose those are negative since most shit in DOA is negative anyway. But with the stun game it becomes bearable. DOA4 Hele was unsafe on her transitions but the stun game there made is easy to hit and confirm the transition.

Lobo

I remember talking about this a while ago in another thread, how DOA lacked stances when it seemed like almost every char in VF has one. And the stances that DOA4 did have, were often pretty useless.

Anyone wanna go over new stances in DOA5 (besides BT and other universal things). I know Lei got a new parry stance.

Jann, Kokoro, and Lisa were also chars who didnt have one that got one in 5.

Christie and Brad got new ones. Kasumi's teleport got changed a lot, but I'm don't know if that counts as a stance. Bayman got a huge buff to his tank roll (same as Kasumi, not sure if its a stance or not)

Any of the other old characters get new ones that I'm forgetting? (prob a bunch)

Doug Nguyen

I remember talking about this a while ago in another thread, how DOA lacked stances when it seemed like almost every char in VF has one. And the stances that DOA4 did have, were often pretty useless.

Anyone wanna go over new stances in DOA5 (besides BT and other universal things). I know Lei got a new parry stance.

Jann, Kokoro, and Lisa were also chars who didnt have one that got one in 5.

Christie and Brad got new ones. Kasumi's teleport got changed a lot, but I'm don't know if that counts as a stance. Bayman got a huge buff to his tank roll (same as Kasumi, not sure if its a stance or not)

Any of the other old characters get new ones that I'm forgetting? (prob a bunch)
I think you mentioned most of them. Kasumi has one thats sorta like a dash. Its that dash where she can grab, elbow you, or do jumping knee kicks.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD