Snake?! SNAAAAAKE!!! - MGS Movie now officially OFFICIAL

Game Over

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/30/metal-gear-solid-movie-coming-care-of-columbia-pictures/

hideo-kojima-avi-arad_530x350.jpg

You'll have to be more specific in your snide commentary the next time you think to call Metal Gear Solid a movie. There will be a proper film based on the popular Konami property, said X-Men and Spider-Man producer Avi Arad, who announced the project at a special Metal Gear 25th anniversary event in Japan.

KwonJigglypuff

I don't know. This is exciting, but at the same time... I'm afraid about the serie, I mean, adaptation from video games tend to be lame. But a movie based on MGS3 would be amazing. I wonder who could play Snake, Eva, The Boss though.

nekoG

Wow, this should be good. Kojima usually has things tightly under control
I can't recall the last time I watched a movie based on a videogame which really impressed me.
I would love to see a DeusEx movie

phoenix1985gr

For me some movies from videogames if you just look them as films without excpecting to see any resemblance to the games are ok or even good... The problem is that they re using a brand of something you ve used to being it a particular way you know and enjoy and they just butcher it in any way they like... For example i really enjoy the resident evil film (1st one) but i would have liked it so much better if it didnt use resident evil in its name... Then of course there are people who dont like the changes from one game to the next so yeah not sure if it would work for everyone... And of course there are movies like tekken and doa that even with a different name would be better if they didnt exist at all

Game Over

For me some movies from videogames if you just look them as films without excpecting to see any resemblance to the games are ok or even good... The problem is that they re using a brand of something you ve used to being it a particular way you know and enjoy and they just butcher it in any way they like... For example i really enjoy the resident evil film (1st one) but i would have liked it so much better if it didnt use resident evil in its name... Then of course there are people who dont like the changes from one game to the next so yeah not sure if it would work for everyone... And of course there are movies like tekken and doa that even with a different name would be better if they didnt exist at all

Yeah. I mentioned RE and SH above because, IMO, they are FAR from being bad movies ... as long as you look at them as being "inspired by" the respective games, rather than "based on". When people have expectations for a movie adaptation to essentially "duplicate" their experience with the game, they usually only set themselves up for disappointment as a movie (by nature) is a different experience. Now, I'm not trying to defend bad translations here (someone like Uwe Boll should've been BANNED from making movies a LONG time ago!), but I am one who likes to see things in the context they set for themselves.

Sure, many VG adaptations so far have been mediocre at best, but I look at it like this .... comic book adaptations weren't always up to par with Marvel's recent offerings (some ... *cough**DC**cough* ... still aren't!), book adaptations weren't always up to par with The Lord of the Rings trilogy (some ... *cough**Percy Jackson**cough* ... still aren't!), etc., etc. So to expect masterpieces is expecting too much, to expect awesome record-breaking jaw-droppers is expecting too much, even (in some cases) to expect a "good movie" is expecting too much, since as Hollywood and movie adaptations go, it all depends SO MUCH on the ability of the crew involved and the budget allowed for doing it.

That said, this MGS movie has a shot at being something special in regards to the progression of VG adaptations. The producer Avi Arad has a pretty solid track record, and seems like he WANTS to make this a good movie. If they get a respectable budget (at least ~$100-120 mil) and land a solid director and cast (not necessarily top A-class names), they can pull this off. Anyone who has played the MGS games KNOWS that these games should translate over to the movie screen significantly easier than most games!

Time will tell, but I like how this is starting!

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
The problem with the idea behind "inspired by" rather than "based on" is that video game movies don't have very good plots to begin with. Regular movies that were written to be movies beat them out in basically every category. You either go all-in on it to satisfy your hardcore fans as well as a few newcomers, or you do a "inspired by" scenario and end up pleasing nobody outside of the foreign crowd (where apparently all the money is made as foreigners seem to LOVE bad movies).

The Silent Hill movie had an absolutely wretched plot, for example. The original VG plot was honestly far superior, and that isn't just nostalgia talking. They relied far too much on gross-out horror elements and throw-away character development, rather than tapping into the pre-existing script which already had its own well-conceived plot twists and didn't waste story time on irrelevant characters which did not effect any part of the main story whatsoever.

It was psychological horror in and of itself, and it launched its own franchise for a reason. It did not require a middle aged woman being raped and eventually torn in half by barbed wires to get the message of "horror" across. That's something you do to a film when you're out of clever ideas and you still need to get a reaction out of your audience. I don't respect that kind of weak direction.

We don't even need to start on Resident Evil, because that entire film series basically just spends its time insulting fans of the actual video game series by placing their favorite characters inside the movies and then making them completely worthless and irrelevant to anything that is going on.

Game Over

I'm not interested in a drawn out exchange over this, but I will say a few points ...

The problem with the idea behind "inspired by" rather than "based on" is that video game movies don't have very good plots to begin with.

I've seen multiple movies with worse plots than the current "average" VG adapt.

Regular movies that were written to be movies beat them out in basically every category.

I agree that VG adapts currently average "below-average" compared to standard Hollywood offerings.

You either go all-in on it to satisfy your hardcore fans as well as a few newcomers ...

Problem here is some "hardcore" fans won't like a movie even if the producers go all-in (even LOTR gets hate).

... or you do a "inspired by" scenario and end up pleasing nobody outside of the foreign crowd

I will disagree here.

A movie will have to be BEYOND GUTTER TRASH in order to please no one. You have to consider that the bulk of movie-goers fit in with the "General Movie Audience", who are people JUST looking for something to entertain them for ~2hrs with some various amount of romance (for the women), explosions, shootouts, chases, hot actors, and other elements of eye/ear candy. And as for "story", I'd honestly say story matters the least with the GMA as long as a movie "makes sense". This is why movies make the money that they do regardless of what critical sites (like RottonTomatoes) may say about how "bad" they are (see: Twilight).

In regards to VG adapts, while your opinion of the average one may be significantly low, they, IMO, are not bad movies. I've watched a great many movies so far in my time, and believe me, I have seen my fair share of bad ones! Most recently was The Apparition, a movie I'd like to see get buried the same deep dark abyss of eternal suffering as the bulk of old bad Atari games, Uwe Boll movies, Uwe Boll, Justin Bieber's future self, Edward Cullen, etc.! Say what you want about Silent Hill, that movie was 10000000000000000000000000 times BETTER than The Apparition in my book!!!

Anyway, with that said, VG adapts right now are the stage where Hollywood is looking to put below-average effort into making average profits (through the GMA). And so far, they've done that, and that's fine. Eventually, as long as games remain a relevant option for movie source material, enough people will gather into the right places and push the right buttons for VG adapts to be taken seriously, get better funding, and be treated with similar care as what we are now seeing from Marvel, Christopher Nolan, Peter Jackson, etc. (respectively).

ADD: On the topic of MGS, with Avi Arad onboard, this already has the potential to raise the high bar for what can done with a VG adapt. Maybe we'll have the surprise equivalent of Bryan Singer's "X-Men" here!

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD