Should I play Star Wars: The Old Republic?

Game Over

So ... is the Force strong with this one? *snicker*

I've been recently checking out some vids on this game, and it's got me a bit intrigued ... particularly because I am usually intrigued by Star Wars lore in general. Granted, I have yet to play any MMO (outside of dabbling a bit with a PSU demo on X360 for a brief time some years back) for better or worse. I also have yet to play either of the SW: KOTOR games from the old Xbox days (this is kinda sad, I know! lol).

Basically, I'm wondering what people's impressions on the game are. Is it worth the investment (I'm aware of the monthly costs following the initial game purchase)? Should I wait for an inevitable expansion? Does it all just come down to how much time I'll have available to grind on it (admittedly, my time will be kinda inconsistent due to college)?

Thoughts. Post them up! Good, or bad!!

Raansu

I like it. I've been playing since launch and still find stuff to do. It's very story oriented and it conveys it's objective lists pretty well for when you are questing so I'd say its a good game to jump into for your first mmo. You get companions after level 10 to follow you around so that makes things a bit easier on the leveling.

At cap (level 50) the game is ok on the pve side. A couple hard mode flashpoints (4 man dungeons) and 3 major operations (raids/dungeons) that are both 8 man and 16 man runs. I do the raids like twice a week and they are pretty good but I mostly just pvp. End game is pretty time consuming but you don't have to do that. But as far as time constraints the game is solo friendly enough for leveling up from 1-49 as you don't really need a group to do most of the quests. Heroic quests require a 4 man group and so do flashpoints but they aren't really required.

They just had their second major update too so theres quite a bit of new content and they finally unlocked the legacy system (mostly fluff that I could care less about but ya, some people like it.) My only real complaint atm is the sound bug. I lose all sound except ambient sound an I have to restart the game to get it back. Happens like once a day and I have no idea what triggers it. It's annoying as hell but whatever.

PhoenixVFIRE

Well, I've played MMO's before to name a few, Everquest 1 and 2, World of Warcraft, City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, Ultima Online, and Lord of the Rings Online. I have played and beaten the first SW: KOTOR, but I have not gotten to even play the The Old Republic MMO yet. My cousin was loving it for a while there and said the questing, gamplay and stories were very good and the voice acting was pretty damn good. I recently fell out of my love for MMO's(mind you I've been playing them since 1999/2000.)

IMO, it's up to you whether or not you want to give it a shot. They are fun and can be VERY addicting if you let it.(Like anything else you enjoy) Also, if you wait for an expansion to join you will only be that far behind everyone else. I say give it a shot if you want :) The game looks great and a lot of fun and on top of that you actually LIKE Star Wars lol :)

Raansu

If I recall they had a weekend trial this weekend. You might want to check the site swtor.com as they seem to do that about once a month. I think there's friend trials too that allows 7 days of play. I'll check my account later and see how that works and I can send you one of those.

Raansu

What restrictions, if any, will be placed on my friend’s seven (7) day free trial account?

The following restrictions will be placed on your friends account for the duration of the friend trial:
  • A Friends Trial character cannot exceed level 15. The player will be notified via social center notifications and chat message once they have hit the maximum level for their trial experience.
  • A Friends Trial character will only be able to play on their Origin World, Capital World, at the Fleet, a Warzone, and in their first Flashpoint. A message box will appear if a Friends Trial character attempts to go outside these areas.
  • A Friends Trial character will not be able to use general chat, trade chat, or PvP chat. The character will only be able to use local chat, group chat, guild chat, whisper and responses to whispers.
  • A Friends Trial character will not be able to send or reply to mail from other trial characters. However, your character will be able to receive in-game mail during the trial.
  • A Friends Trial character will not be able to us the Galactic Trade Network or trade with other players.
  • A Friends Trial character will only be able to level their Crew Skills ranking to 40.
  • A Friends Trial character will never gain Legacy XP. The Legacy system allows player to share high-level abilities among different characters on the same account.

The form for it is stupid lol. I can't just get a code I have to put your email in and they email you the information. I figured I'd just get generated a code and I could pass it on but I guess not. But if you want to try the game send me a pm I can send out up to 25 friend trials. Or you can wait for the weekend trial. I think theres another one next weekend, so whichever.

Game Over

I'll probably decide on it by the end of this week. This week wraps up my Finals for this semester, then I'll have some time opened up for a while, since my Summer schedule is pretty light.

Hey Raansu, are those Friend Trials usable at any time?

Raansu

I'll probably decide on it by the end of this week. This week wraps up my Finals for this semester, then I'll have some time opened up for a while, since my Summer schedule is pretty light.

Hey Raansu, are those Friend Trials usable at any time?

To my knowledge ya. I just fill out a stupid form put in your email and send you a message and I guess it then emails you with whatever you need to do. It says on the page I have up to 25 friend trials so ya.

Game Over

To my knowledge ya. I just fill out a stupid form put in your email and send you a message and I guess it then emails you with whatever you need to do. It says on the page I have up to 25 friend trials so ya.

Cool. I'll PM you if I decide to pick it up.

Raansu

Is the story as good as KOTOR?

Depends on the person. Some people like certain stories that others didn't etc... There's 8 main stories altogether between the 2 factions and each planet has its own "planet story" so there's quite a bit of dialogue in the game. So far imperial agent and jedi knight have been my favorite (imperial agent was really good imo.) I'm about half way through the bounty hunter story and its alright. I'm enjoying the smuggler story and about half way through that one as well. Consular story is kinda meh and I still haven't even started on sith warrior or sith inquisitor yet (pvp takes up most of my time, I just play my alts when I need a break from my knight.)

I wouldn't say it's as good as KOTOR but it's good enough that I listen to all the dialogue the first time I hear it and I enjoy having the traditional conversation wheel present in BW's games.

Edit:
lol =P

Game Over

Does each character type have Light Side and Dark Side choices, or is that just for the Jedi and Sith types?

Raansu

Does each character type have Light Side and Dark Side choices, or is that just for the Jedi and Sith types?

Ya everyone gets light/dark side choices. They arnt too common in side quests but you get a lot of them during your class story missions.

Raansu

I'd love to try it, but i'm not sure my can handle it. I'll just wait for KOTOR:III someday...

If you want a friend trial you can pm me your email and ill send you one to see if the game will run which it should as the game isnt demanding at all on lower settings.

Game Over

Star Wars: The Old Republic Minimum Requirements

Processor:
    • AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better
    • Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz or better
Operating System:
  • Windows XP Service Pack 3 or later
RAM:
  • Windows XP: 1.5GB RAM
  • Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB RAM
Note: PCs using a built-in graphical chipset are recommended to have 2GB of RAM.
Star Wars: The Old Republic requires a video card that has a minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM as well as support for Shader 3.0 or better. Examples include:
  • ATI X1800 or better
  • nVidia 7800 or better
  • Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better
DVD-ROM drive – 8x speed or better (required for installation from physical editions only)
Internet connection required to play.

ScattereDreams

After I fixed the lag issues, turned out to be quite fun. I've made it to level 9; think I'll buy it once the trials over. Thanks much Raansu.

Game Over

So I gotta say I'm digging this game so far. Especially now that I can config my X360 controller to be used alongside my mouse (with occasional keyboard use outside of combat). Just have a basic controller layout for now, that I expect to expand upon as I level up and have more key bindings become relevant.

Xpadder, FTW!!

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD