Ryu Hayabusa: The Thinking Man's Super Ninja

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor

He doesn't really post much, if at all. He mostly seems to employ a really risky game of rapid transitions into ongyoin that is nearly entirely dependent on the opponent guessing wrong since it's all really unsafe. Problem is, that seems to be the best way to play this asshole now.

Also, long time no see, man.

@Jun: Pretty sure it's stance-dependent. I believe your opponent has to be open and you have to be closed. Might be both open, though, now that I think about it, since you can get it at the start of the round.

Chaos

The Ongyoin is the foundation of Ryu's fighting style. Most of Ryu's best moves come from it. In the beginning, use it to hit hard and fast. 6K, 6P, 8K, etc. If you're fast enough (and successful in your reads), your opponent will begin to flip out when they see you enter ongyoin, immediately going into either a defensive (circle-strafe) or offensive (rush you to knock you out of ongyoin) behavior. This time, go a bit slower. Wait for them to make their move and react accordingly. The Shoho initiates with a crush move, and the 6P+K is an exceptional intercept.

Also, if you're fighting an idiot, they'll continue to try and use wake-up kicks to get you. Simply use 7P at the right moment (this will automatically put you in ongyoin), then time 8K, 8P, 8T, or even 6P+K accordingly. Similarly, switch quickly between 6P, 6K, 8K, 8T, etc. from ongyoin when your opponent is near a wall. Keep the pressure constant, without allowing them the time or predictability to escape your assault. This is one of the areas Ryu excels at best, imo.
The cpu is too stupid to relies that Ryu can punish wake up kicks easily. XD

Brute

Standard Donor
The cpu is too stupid to relies that Ryu can punish wake up kicks easily. XD
Contrary to PvP, Ryu is godly against the CPUs. He has all the right tools to exploit their idiotically simplistic yet cheap AI.

EvilJun

@Jun: Pretty sure it's stance-dependent. I believe your opponent has to be open and you have to be closed. Might be both open, though, now that I think about it, since you can get it at the start of the round.

Oh i see, thanks for clearing that up :)

Also, not sure if this has been posted before but you can apparently combo into shoho izuna from the izuna throw

although I'm not sure whether qcfP wallsplats or not, doesn't work on heavy characters either so it's usefulness might be limited.

Brute

Standard Donor
I was aware that was a guaranteed set-up with ceilings, but I didn't know you could catch/extend that with an 236P in open areas. I'll have to practice this.

edit: Just read the video description. Apparently only works in tag mode. Bummer.

MajesticBlue

Here's something interesting...
That is pretty cool. I never thought of that. Thanks for the advice, sounds like a great way to keep some pressure up.

I tried like a bajillion times when I got the game to make Izuna qcfP Shoho to work....freaking tag mode...
Not really but still. It looks awesome.

Izuna

awww, I guess the best option is still to finish the throw unless we can wall-splat :(
Hey, you can go with 41236 T, 236P , 4K.K , 33 WS 4KK for 115 damage in hi counter (so 3 more than regular Izuna throw), it works well after the regular Izuna throw launcher and advanced low and mid punch holds as well.
Sorry if this wasn't the right place to post.

Chaos

Oh i see, thanks for clearing that up :)

Also, not sure if this has been posted before but you can apparently combo into shoho izuna from the izuna throw

although I'm not sure whether qcfP wallsplats or not, doesn't work on heavy characters either so it's usefulness might be limited.
Man sometimes when Im trying to execute :2::3::6::P::+::K: it will respond :3::P::+::K: instend and that shit is so frustrating....smh..bitch ass controls.

FriendlyGamer

Can anyone share some tips when it comes to facing Ryu? The opponents I have the most trouble with are the ones who space really well and use 3h+k and 236p a lot. I always forget that these ones track and try to sidestep them.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
3H+K can be shut down by nearly every decently fast move in the game. You can simply jab somebody out of it on reaction; especially if they use it in-string (4PK for instance). Obviously you should have some more damaging options to interrupt, so use what you want. It's not a fast move. You can also free step it (not sidestep) but the timing is trickier and should be practiced. 236P is slow and only crushes highs typically (though this game is mad inconsistent with crushes in general) so a fast true mid will stop it. It'd be more helpful if you mentioned your character but anything truly specific would be better served being asked in that character forum.

FriendlyGamer

3H+K can be shut down by nearly every decently fast move in the game. You can simply jab somebody out of it on reaction; especially if they use it in-string (4PK for instance). Obviously you should have some more damaging options to interrupt, so use what you want. It's not a fast move. You can also free step it (not sidestep) but the timing is trickier and should be practiced. 236P is slow and only crushes highs typically (though this game is mad inconsistent with crushes in general) so a fast true mid will stop it. It'd be more helpful if you mentioned your character but anything truly specific would be better served being asked in that character forum.

Thanks, Ryu's 3h+k seems faster than 28 frames online. As for his 236p, I could have sworn it's crushed my mid punches and kicks before. My mains are Brad and Rig. Brad has his 8k and 6h+k I suppose.

Chaos

I love knocking my opponent into a dangerzone (Hot Zone stage) & execute Hayabusa's :3::4::K: & then his :2::3::6::F::+::P: but unfortunately it's quite tricky to pull off.

Brute

Standard Donor
I love knocking my opponent into a dangerzone (Hot Zone stage) & execute Hayabusa's :3::4::K: & then his :2::3::6::F::+::P: but unfortunately it's quite tricky to pull off.
Yeah, whenever I get one of those scripted wall-strikes (like the car or power boxes in scramble), it's always hard for me to orient myself when the camera is busy showing fuck-all instead of my actual character.

Sam Sultan

Here is a little example on how to keep the pressure up with Ryu Hayabusa. Basically the idea is to use Hayabusa's 6KP to force your opponent up and do follow up attacks(I recommend guard breakers or he's OH)to keep the pressure up. In this video i'm just demonstrating the idea, the combos can be made much more complicated and damaging.

Brute

Standard Donor
Yeah, I'll have to experiment with that more. Thing is, if I can get in some melee hits that don't instantly floor an opponent, I tend to try for a launcher or Shoho, and from launchers I usually like the get the guaranteed damage from the air throw, which sorta voids the pseudo-tech game. In close quarters I tend to either use 7K or 9K, due to the speed.

I'll try experimenting with it some more this weekend, though, if you've found it works in battle.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD