Ranking system

Doug Nguyen

So how exactly does the point system work for ranked matches. I lose about 150 points by players my rank and only 37 points players lower my rank. Where is team ninjas logic in that?

qoodname

Im actually wondering the same thing. I lose about 450GP against other S player but only 37GP against B player for example. Shouldnt it be the other way around?

Doug Nguyen

Im actually wondering the same thing. I lose about 450GP against other S player but only 37GP against B player for example. Shouldnt it be the other way around?
Dang 450. Never lost that much before. Im at an A+, but im guessing once i reach about at an S ill probably be losing 450 points against other S players.

WebHead

DOA4's rank system was actually the most PERFECT!! and best one I've ever seen in any game period. I remember when I first started DOA4 after a 2 year break and I was so surprised I couldn't even keep an A+ rank which is sooooooo EASY for anyone that knows what theyre doing to do.

Only people that lose once every 1 games will become an S and only people that lose once every 20 games will become an SS. Thats a perfect rank system right then, right there. B+ ranks would know when to counter (but randomly) and complete unsafe moves so they couldn't reach A-. A- players had a basic understanding but also completed few unsafe moves and had no mixups. Bro DOA4 was the bomb.

CrimsonCJ

I don't know this perfectly, but I can kinda fill in some of the gaps that might not make sense.

The ranked system is designed to create the most consequential differences between people of similar rank. It wants people to play as many others as humanly possible, but realizes a system that punishes players of a higher rank for playing with lower ranks will simply cause selfish high-ranked players to avoid playing with lower players at all costs. Thus, it creates a low-risk situation for someone with a high-rank, while giving a low-risk, high-reward situation to lower-ranked players. It gives the reward to the superior fighters in the form of a streak bonus, which starts negligible but I want to say caps a little under half the gains of a similarly ranked player.

If the intent was to make it so that players should want to play as many others as possible, it would have worked if it explained itself. Your best way to get a high level is thus to crush as many people as humanly possible. And if you are a low-ranked player, it's probably in your best interest not to fight players of a rank significantly higher than you (maintaining streak is a more consistent means of going up the ladder rather than risking it on decent players), but that's counter-intuitive. In the end, the result favors players who get into as many matches as possible rather than those that look for ideal settings.

shunwong

The ranking system is bad. In VF5FS it took me 4 months to reach the rank of Guardian, reach a 57% win rate (starting at 0% = being totally destroyed everytime) and be among the top 1000 ranked players. In DOA5 I'm already B-, ranked around 1200...and I only have a humble win rate of 51%. I think losing should hurt a lot more so it is more rewarding and difficult to rank up. It hasn't even been 2 months and I didn't even play ranked during the first few weeks (played simple match first to get to know the game/characters/system first).

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD