Power Blows?

Marcus Young

I want to know everyone's opinion on Power Blows. Do you think that they're a way of relieving desperate players seeking a win? Is it unfair to have someone on the brink of death, only to be knocked out yourself by a Power Blow? Or are they a way of equalizing (perhaps even blurring) the line between skilled and unskilled players?

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
I find power blows to be a very welcoming addition. Flashy, practical, and not too overpowered since they're actually somewhat predictable to block/sidestep/counter.

I agree. I was skeptical of them before launch because I hate that fighting games have been adding these comeback moves, but the power blows don't bother me. They seem to be down right useless without a critical burst and given how risky it is to go for a critical burst, I'm fine with the power blow being a follow up reward. Some of them actually look cool too.

Saber

As unsafe as it is to throw out without a CB, they're still one of the game's most fun mechanics. Plus characters who get a free CB off a sitdown stun get a free PB which is a huge 80 points of damage.

They're added solely for the gimmicks, but the high risk, high reward factor makes it a good tool for skilled players.

Plus you can bait with it. PBs can be cancelled into a sidestep.

Marcus Young

Interesting responses. I suppose the questions were loaded, I apologize. I assumed that others felt similarly toward Power Blows as I do.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
I like em. Also, what I find true with most characters, is that there are juggle options that end up doing more damage than the power blow itself.

Saber

I like em. Also, what I find true with most characters, is that there are juggle options that end up doing more damage than the power blow itself.
Not exactly. For post-CB juggles, Power Blows usually do more damage than following up with a juggle, simply because the bulk of the damage is reliant on the attacks during stun.

Juggles are just safer options to throw out because you can't escape in the air.

qoodname

Not exactly. For post-CB juggles, Power Blows usually do more damage than following up with a juggle, simply because the bulk of the damage is reliant on the attacks during stun.

Juggles are just safer options to throw out because you can't escape in the air.
Im pretty sure it depends on position and the character youre using.
For example with Hayate if you do 3K, 3PP, CB, PB is 165 dmg on hi counter.
If you do 3K, 3PP, CB, 6P+K, P+K, 4P, 6P+K, K, 7K is 176 dmg on hi counter.

Dave

They are OK I guess. I just don't understand why they are blockable yet some attacks from, for example Jann Lee and Pai, aren't.

Saber

Im pretty sure it depends on position and the character youre using.
For example with Hayate if you do 3K, 3PP, CB, Burst is 165 dmg on hi counter.
If you do 3K, 3PP, CB, 6P+K, P+K, 4P, 6P+K, K, 7K is 176 dmg on hi counter.
Only if it's Hi-Counter. Applies for most of the characters.

For the most part, you'd start out a combo on NH or CH, thus Power Blows do more damage than juggles in general post-CB.

@Dave: It offers Guard Break though. It is was unblockable, it wouldn't be a balanced tool. And besides, unblockables are unsafe to throw out. They can be ducked, SS-ed, and they're all high kicks IIRC.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Power Blows often do less damage than you could otherwise get from a different string. They're fine as-is. Every character has ways to get them for free and they do a set amount of damage. Pretty balanced.

qoodname

Only if it's Hi-Counter. Applies for most of the characters.

For the most part, you'd start out a combo on NH or CH, thus Power Blows do more damage than juggles in general post-CB.
That might be true in hayates case but regardless of that a combo after CB does more damage than a PB in most cases but there are other benefits than that aswell. After the PB the opponent is knocked hella far away making any pressure you build up go down to 0 but if you choose to go for a string instead you have tons of options like positiong yourself to your advantage, go for force techs etc. I can only speak for myself but i personally made the expirience that going for a juggle after CB is the better choice.

SilverKhaos

just a standard "super move", an upgrade of the charged moves from DOA4.

Since most lean back before the blow, it's easy to bait people into eating it, so at least you don't always have to CB into it or anything.

rximmortal

yea they are pretty well done as game mechanic , they just can be one way more flashier and exicieting , cuz they look like just a bigger combo series now.

ShinMaruku

Power blows are fine. I have no set ups as of yet but I'm sure I will find some. Helena players seem to have a bunch of them.

Saber

The only setup you need is a good way to get into CB. For example, Kokoro's 8P6P into 236P into 7P (CB) into 3P+K (PB). Everything here is gauaranteed after 8P6P since it's two linking sitdown stuns.

However, throwing out CBs in this game is fairly risky since (a) you need to use the stun game which involves guessing and (b) almost everyone predicts a CB, and all of them are mids and a majority of them are mid-punch, except for Bass's CB which is unholdable.

Throw out a PB raw and expect to get Hi-Counter held.

Akumasama

I was really scared in the demo when you could just spam them.
The current implementation works.

Not so sure I like the guaranteed hit during Critical Burst... but then again without that they'd be semi-useless.
I guess it's just my personal bias about this, since I'm not too fond of guaranteed forms of damage in BEU, I like them being used with high moderation from the game designers.

Only thing that I don't like, as much as it's a very small thing, is how for the majority of characters Power Blows are not an additional move, but a previous move which got transformed into a Power Blow.
I used to like the guard-break properties of these moves in DoA4 so I'm kinda sad to see them gone to welcome their power blow version.

vINv

Power blows are fine u can counter them or bait them or w-e and their plus on block no down side really

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD