Playstation 4 vs Xbox One: One thread to rule them all

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Well, I'm bored, so I may as well get in this thread since I tried 'em both out.

I couldn't get the consoles personally, but I did try them out for a decent amount of time at my old man's place through multiple visits. The experience on both consoles were... as expected based on word of mouth and research. Xbox One definitely has the advantage of good exclusives and usage of media storage on the fly currently, whereas the PS4 seems to not really be stretching its legs just yet as far as exclusive gaming's concerned. I literally spent more time on Crunchyroll watching Samurai Flamenco, HunterxHunter and Kill La Kill (aka Project A-Ko: The Next Generation...) on the PS4 with my little cousins, as opposed to the Xbox One where Killer Instinct held my interest the longest while Crimson Dragon (surprisingly) didn't. Kinect was fun to use too.

Aside from the bullshit limitations (particularly for PS4) and some of the hate they got because of them (particularly for the Xbox One) at launch or pre-launch, I think both have plenty of room for growth as consoles... they just need to drop that price tag just a tad. 'Til that time, my focus will be on the WiiU, and an 8-month wait to buy either the Xbox One or the PS4 for myself seems about right for my budget, not to mention it's plenty enough time to not only see what these consoles can really do, but maybe - just maybe - get an actual full game of Killer Instinct for good measure.

EDIT: Holy shit... I just realized @KAP is SavageNation from back in the day. HMU on the PM if you're reading this, dude.

KAP

First off...Iove this thread's title lol.

Secondly I have yet to buy one of the new consoles but will mostly likely get a PS4 before an Xbox one. Needless to say I was actually much more entertained by the Black Friday insanity. Btw has anyone heard about the consoles having issues?
PS4's are having some general hardware failure issues and Xbox Ones seem to have some faulty drives, but for both consoles that appears to only affecting a small number of people.

I am a nerd (and engineer) first and a gamer second, and personally I do not think the consoles of this generation will be as fragile as the early consoles of the previous generation. Most of the issues with Xbox 360 and PS3 from last generation were caused by improper application of lead-free solder. Microsoft and Sony did not heat the solder to the correct temperature. Tin-based solders tend to liquify at around 300C, whereas it was applied too cool. Thermal expansion and contraction causes cracks in the already-fragile joints and eventually no longer makes a connection

For most of the last generation issues, a small reflow of the board should fix RROD and YLOD. I wouldn't recommend wrapping your Xbox 360 in a towel; however...

Cooking it correctly in an oven--

or using a heat gun--

will resolve a majority of the last-gen console failures due to improper application of lead-free solder.

PS: You may be asking yourself how this works, especially since tin-based solders liquify at over 300C, and your oven and heat-gun obviously get nowhere near that temperature. The answer is that the lead-free solder used is non-eutectic, meaning different metals in the solder melt at different temperatures. 250F for a short period of time should be enough to reconnect bad connection. Besides, you don't want to 'melt' the solder because then you would have a big puddle of solder bridging together connections and shorting everything out.

Last edited:

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Posts that aren't on topic will be deleted and tossing the term 'fanboy' around is close enough to trolling that it's warning-worthy. Stick to the topic and if you feel like posting a link, do it within an existing post.

KAP

Well, I'm bored, so I may as well get in this thread since I tried 'em both out.

I couldn't get the consoles personally, but I did try them out for a decent amount of time at my old man's place through multiple visits. The experience on both consoles were... as expected based on word of mouth and research. Xbox One definitely has the advantage of good exclusives and usage of media storage on the fly currently, whereas the PS4 seems to not really be stretching its legs just yet as far as exclusive gaming's concerned. I literally spent more time on Crunchyroll watching Samurai Flamenco, HunterxHunter and Kill La Kill (aka Project A-Ko: The Next Generation...) on the PS4 with my little cousins, as opposed to the Xbox One where Killer Instinct held my interest the longest while Crimson Dragon (surprisingly) didn't. Kinect was fun to use too.

Aside from the bullshit limitations (particularly for PS4) and some of the hate they got because of them (particularly for the Xbox One) at launch or pre-launch, I think both have plenty of room for growth as consoles... they just need to drop that price tag just a tad. 'Til that time, my focus will be on the WiiU, and an 8-month wait to buy either the Xbox One or the PS4 for myself seems about right for my budget, not to mention it's plenty enough time to not only see what these consoles can really do, but maybe - just maybe - get an actual full game of Killer Instinct for good measure.

EDIT: Holy shit... I just realized @KAP is SavageNation from back in the day. HMU on the PM if you're reading this, dude.
Hi Awesmic. I agree that PS4 currently doesn't have a whole lot of 'exclusives;' however, Resogun and Contrast are a lot of fun and Sony is basically giving them away for free, since the free trial for PS+ comes in the box. I have Battlefield 4 on PS4 and am having a blast with it.

Anyway, don't count the previous-generation consoles out yet! It is probably the end of life for the Xbox 360 (given Microsoft's track record of abandoning the original Xbox immediately after the launch of the 360); however, the PS3 still has a year or two of life left in it. A majority of my time is still spent gaming on my PS3. I'm still playing DOA5U and looking forward to Persona 5, Lightning Returns, Final Fantasy X and X-2 Remake, Persona 4: The Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold, and BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma. In short, what I'm trying to say is if you're a fan of Japanese games, this console generation is not over on the PS3.

You're right about there being a price drop. I will eventually get an Xbox One once Kinect is taken out of the box and they drop the price by $100. I have no confirmation that is going to happen; however, once it becomes clear Xbox One is being owned by PS4, Microsoft will drop the price.

I do have fond memories of this generation. Here are some of the highlights:
  • In November, 2005 when I got my Xbox 360, I also bought a Toshiba CRT HDTV. It weighed 120 pounds and had a new technology called HDMI. To my surprise, the Xbox 360 did not have HDMI, so that port remained unused until I got my PS3.
  • I paid Microsoft 100 dollars for a 60 GB hard drive when it was made available. I paid them another 100 dollars for a 250 GB hard drive a few years later. Highway robbery! Microsoft must be going back in time when hard drives were $2 a GB, lol.
  • I regretted my purchase of the PS4 for $599 until Metal Gear Solid 4 blew me away.
  • My Xbox 360 died on me 3 times this generation. First time was the 'sound but no video' error, next time whenever you inserted a game into the drive it would tell you in 14 different languages to 'please insert this game into an Xbox 360', third time RROD. I am currently still running a 360 Zephyr which was last serviced in September 2010; however, it seems to be on the way out.
  • This generation I purchased 75 boxed retail PS3 games, 52 boxed retail 360 games, and 12 boxed retail Wii games. I do not sell games.
  • By far, I spent a majority of my time this generation on the PS3 which is where I played a most of the multi-platform releases. The only games I purchased for 360 which were multi-platform were multiplayer shooters and the few games like Red Dead where the experience was significantly better on 360.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Hi Awesmic. I agree that PS4 currently doesn't have a whole lot of 'exclusives;' however, Resogun and Contrast are a lot of fun and Sony is basically giving them away for free, since the free trial for PS+ comes in the box. I have Battlefield 4 on PS4 and am having a blast with it.
Case in point: I don't have my own personal PS4.

Anyway, don't count the previous-generation consoles out yet! It is probably the end of life for the Xbox 360 (given Microsoft's track record of abandoning the original Xbox immediately after the launch of the 360); however, the PS3 still has a year or two of life left in it. A majority of my time is still spent gaming on my PS3. I'm still playing DOA5U and looking forward to Persona 5, Lightning Returns, Final Fantasy X and X-2 Remake, Persona 4: The Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold, and BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma. In short, what I'm trying to say is if you're a fan of Japanese games, this console generation is not over on the PS3.
See you in February then.

But seriously... PM. As soon as possible.

UpSideDownGRUNT

I'm pretty much done with Microsoft at the moment, Fable Anniversary, Lightning Returns: FFXIII and Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes will more than likely be the last few 360 games I buy,once I get my PS3 I'm officially swapping over unless 360 still has a few decent exclusives or has better ports etc.

But other than that I'm moving on to Sony, and with any luck all these hardware issues will be all blown over by the time I get a PS4 and if they continue to sell the PS4/PSVita bundles I'll more than likely pick one of those up. Xbox One has still yet to impress me games wise everything else I can either also get on PS4(in some cases better) or has something equal to the X1.

I do wonder however, which console will be recomended for the big Square Enix releases my guess is probably PS4 but, you never know.

SpellBound

I bought a ps4.
Im still kinda on the fence with xbone. I want to play KI, but ki isn't worth 500+ dollars.
Also Guilty Gear is a ps4 exclusive and there's talk about both an exclusive tekken and street fighter titles and tons of jrpgs. I just need to be patient. I know I made the right decision.

akhi216

Standard Donor
I am having a hard time choosing between the Xbox One and PS4. One hand I want to get the Xbox One for Forza and the superior infrastructure and on the other hand I want to get the PS4 for Killzone and future Naughty Dog games.

Game Over

I am having a hard time choosing between the Xbox One and PS4. One hand I want to get the Xbox One for Forza and the superior infrastructure and on the other hand I want to get the PS4 for Killzone and future Naughty Dog games.

Go with the system that will give you more of the games you want. Or if you need to see more updates before deciding, wait.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Arc System Works has been cagey about whether GGXrd actually is exclusive to Sony consoles. I've read and re-read everything they've put out and it never says exclusive. Just says it's coming to PS3 and PS4. To be blunt, if GG goes fully exclusive to Sony I will definitely be buying a PS4 for the game. I intend to buy one for Uncharted anyway but GG will very likely drop around August to September in localized form going by previous ArcSys releases. I don't think we'll see Uncharted this year.

I'm hoping GGXrd is multiplatform for a few reasons. One, console exclusivity for fighting games limits exposure and the playerbase. Killer Instinct would be much bigger if it wasn't exclusive to the Xbox One, though it's still respectable for a new game with a brand new business model for this space. GGXrd is already part of an even more niche part of the market, the so-called "anime fighter" demographic being the only people who usually jump for these. Given how stupidly beautiful it is and an early enough launch date, we may see others jump in to try it, but it probably won't set sales charts on fire. My other reason is extremely selfish: I already bought the TE 2 for Xbox One and I'd really rather not go through the expense of dual-modding it or buying a PS4 stick when they become available.

Koompbala

I'm excited for PAX this year I should be going to it for the first time this year. Looking forward to see what the PS4 has to offer and Xbone.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I can never bring myself to go to normal conventions. I'm not the touristy type so I need a good 'reason' to go, like a tournament or meeting up with people. Things like PAX and SDCC are just chaos with people everywhere and lots of walking aimlessly. E3 should be interesting this year so I may head there.

Koompbala

I done the tournament thing, but never done the convention thing. I haven't even done a local anime or gaming convention kind of thing, so 2 other friends and I are gonna do PAX this year. After that Olympic bathroom story broke and finding out that's a common thing in other places not just Russia. I like shitting in my own personal stall I like how personal space is a thing here in the states among other things. That being said I'm not much of the touristy type either, nor am I a crowd person. I too am excited for this year as I am every first year of a new generation for gaming. The first year is when you get to see what the new consoles actually have to offer rather than speculating before they are out.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD