Characters Nyotengu changes/gameplay discussion

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Fortunately (for us old fans anyway) she did inherit Tengu's speed and power

tenstat_zps340aa813.jpg~original

We all know that those in-game stats are nothing to go by. I wouldn't call it fortunate either, if she inherited Bankotsubo's speed. Having your fastest mid be i16 is pretty damn shitty.

Oh, and as I had mentioned in another thread, her version of 8PPP launches on the third hit, rather than the second, which makes me wonder about it's viability, since you'd have to land three consecutive highs now.

Last edited:

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Move properties (i.e. high, low, mid) may change, however.

This is true.

Also, after taking another look at that image of the character select screen, I see that her PB is 1P+K, which would make sense as it looks like the animation of her PB initially starts of similarly to Bankotsubo's 1P+K from DOAD (4P+K in DOA4), as seen in the trailer, though I doubt that it still travels full screen now.

It says her PL is 7H+K. Since it's an H+K input, rather than a P+K input, I'm assuming it will look similar to Bankotsubo's 236K. Perhaps 236K will also lose it's ceiling hit ability.

Lastly, her CB is 66P. If 66P is the same move it was in DOA4/DOAD, I wonder if she lost the follow up hit (66PP) now that it's a CB, or if the old 66P has been remapped to 6P like it was in DOA2, and they just scrapped the DOA4/DOAD 6P.

Vigoorian King

Lastly, her CB is 66P. If 66P is the same move it was in DOA4/DOAD, I wonder if she lost the follow up hit (66PP) now that it's a CB, or if the old 66P has been remapped to 6P like it was in DOA2, and they just scrapped the DOA4/DOAD 6P.
Well, I think they left the follow-up, as she wouldn't be the only one who has it. Ayane's got kick follow-up after her 6P+K.

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
@David Gregg found some good stuff for Nyo Tengu.

My attempt to analyze the trailer (@Forlorn Penguin can do a much better job but I gave it my best shot :oops:):
At the beginning Teppo-Matsuri launches Momiji and then it almost looks like she goes into Karasu-Tobi when she punches and kicks and then ends with an air throw (which is exactly like Jodo-Okuri). Against Ayane I saw Hiten-No-Jutsu. Against Kokoro, I saw his Tsuma-Dori which she was somehow able to follow up with a subsequent throw (might be a ground throw but most likely a combo throw?). Against Tina it looks like she's doing a shit ton of things while in Karasu-Tobi. With Eliot, a ground throw. The taunt against Marie Rose looks like the one Tengu does only rather than hop on one foot she's flying in midair and then I definitely saw Midare-Goma right after the taunt. Against Hayate she performs Musashibo-Dakusho. Then against Kasumi (which then transitions to being inflicted on Ryu) she performs Nowaki. And then while Ryu is crouching she does my favorite Tengu throw Monomi-Yagura.

So have to say that I'm happy to see so many of his moves brought back and hoping that what I'm seeing is Karasu-Tobi transforming into an effective stance with a lot of moves that can be followed up from it.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
TLastly, her CB is 66P. If 66P is the same move it was in DOA4/DOAD, I wonder if she lost the follow up hit (66PP) now that it's a CB, or if the old 66P has been remapped to 6P like it was in DOA2, and they just scrapped the DOA4/DOAD 6P.

Why would she lose the followup hit? It's not like there aren't any characters who don't have their CB as a string.

I just wonder who's gonna be her tag team partner. I play only DOA5/5U, so I don't know if old Tengu had a partner or not.
Regardless, it's not supposed to be those ninjas lol (Rachel is not count thought, she can be a good partner for Nyo-tengu cuz of those demon blood)

Vigoorian King

I just wonder who's gonna be her tag team partner. I play only DOA5/5U, so I don't know if old Tengu had a partner or not.
Regardless, it's not supposed to be those ninjas lol (Rachel is not count thought, she can be a good partner for Nyo-tengu cuz of those demon blood)
I doubt she will get tag partner. Marie didn't and Phase 4 probably also won't so...

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Why would she lose the followup hit? It's not like there aren't any characters who don't have their CB as a string.

Well if I recall right, most characters don't, which is the only reason I mentioned that. I don't think she's going to lose it though.

Sorry. Just ignore that I brought it up, lol.

Bankotsubo didn't have a partner and I doubt Nyotengu will.

synce

This is true.

Also, after taking another look at that image of the character select screen, I see that her PB is 1P+K, which would make sense as it looks like the animation of her PB initially starts of similarly to Bankotsubo's 1P+K from DOAD (4P+K in DOA4), as seen in the trailer, though I doubt that it still travels full screen now.

It says her PL is 7H+K. Since it's an H+K input, rather than a P+K input, I'm assuming it will look similar to Bankotsubo's 236K. Perhaps 236K will also lose it's ceiling hit ability.

Regarding the new 236K you can actually see it used against Marie in the trailer at around 0:38 mark... Definitely no ceiling hits but if you use the PPK version it puts opponent in CB threshold with crumple.

And I didn't mind Tengu's (lack of) speed in DOA4... If you mixed up P+K, 2P, and H+K just right with the occassional throw/OH you could take anyone down. A faster mid would definitely be nice though. More than anything I'd like his 7K from DOA2 back.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Regarding the new 236K you can actually see it used against Marie in the trailer at around 0:38 mark... Definitely no ceiling hits but if you use the PPK version it puts opponent in CB threshold with crumple.

Oh, wow. Yeah, that might actually be 236K. I didn't notice it at first because of how different the ending animation is.

And I didn't mind Tengu's (lack of) speed in DOA4... If you mixed up P+K, 2P, and H+K just right with the occassional throw/OH you could take anyone down. A faster mid would definitely be nice though. More than anything I'd like his 7K from DOA2 back.

I'm mostly fine with his old speed, as long as she has good options to make up for it, but I really don't think her fastest mid should be i16. That's what I really want to get sped up. If they at least do that, I'd be fine. I'll be playing her either way though.

GreatDarkHero

This is frame advantage
Premium Donor
She could also have other Critical Bursts within her other stances as well while playing the stun game. From what I'm seeing so far, Nyo-Tengu is beginning to come across as some sort of powerhouse character who may be somewhat difficult yet rewarding to play.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD