Characters Nyotengu changes/gameplay discussion

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
@Forlorn Penguin @0:55 6K used in bounce combo. I kinda had a feeling it'll be useful just from observing its hitbox in 2U.

Yeah, I saw that. Good to know it works, but I doubt it's a good choice. She probably has better follow ups. I'd like to try testing some stuff out, but obviously I can't.

That white outfit has a nicely detailed color btw.

So random, but yeah, that's my favorite outfit. I like white and always picked Bankotsubo's C2 in DOAD (below) and I'll likely be maining her white outfit as well.

Tengu_0613.jpg

FatalxInnocence

I'm kinda curious as to how people are finding Nyotengu in comparison to Tengu ( gameplay wise. ). Is Nyotengu appearing stronger than Tengu? or are they both on similar level.

That wind cancel into air dash looks like a pretty good feint imo. Most people will probably get hit by the throw due to ( I'm assuming. ) high punish-ability from her other options. I'm fairly certain she can feint from the air dash thing too which opens her up a little more.

But yeah! from what I've seen she's looking pretty solid in comparison to poor ol' Tengu. Still, I'm curious what you guys think at this point in time?

Brute

Standard Donor
I'm kinda curious as to how people are finding Nyotengu in comparison to Tengu ( gameplay wise. ). Is Nyotengu appearing stronger than Tengu? or are they both on similar level.
Well, no one in the West has played with her yet, but it's pretty obvious from gameplay clips, frame data etc. that Nyotengu is way stronger than Bankotsubo was in DOA4.

But DOA4 Tengu was basically like fighting Bruce Lee with a spork, so it's not all that hard to believe.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I was really disappointed with DOA4 Tengu. The character is extremely limited and unlocking him imo was a waste of time.

Tenryuga

Trying to use flight as a feint would entirely depend on your opponents reactions speed. I'm telling you guys right now that's a free 46P for a competent Ein player considering she either has no strike options from it or the strike options are slow from what I have seen. At best you'll get in but you're not getting the throw off.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Like Ten said, 4P+KH to 9PT will only work on those with slow reaction times. Having the feint attempt from 4P+K is great, but it'll likely be better to go for quicker options.

To answer Fatal's question, I'm very pleased with what I've seen so far. Like Brute mentioned, we really can't say for sure how good she is until we have her, but there's literally no way she can be worse, or even as bad as DOA4 Tengu.

There are a few things I'm disappointing with though. P+K being 5 frames more unsafe on block is one of them, which we've already discussed. Yeah, it is possible that no one is going to punish it, but it's still a dumb change. Another would be that H+K is now i19 instead of i17. This was an awesome (by Tengu standards) tool for Bankotsubo to space with (though it was unsafe), granting a nice stun on NH and launching on CH. Even with all the buffs that Nyotengu has received, I can still see this being a regular option for her (even though no one is using it in any of the arcade footage) assuming that it still stuns and launches the same way, so being 2 frames slower now is not cool.

Overall though, she's looking way better than ol' Banko and I can't wait to hit the lab with her.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
I think we also saw her cliffhanger throw in one of the earliest videos, but I can't remember for sure. I want to say that she basically did 2T all the way down, which is what I'd expect.

And yeah, I love that she actually flies down after that disappointing cliffhanger strike.

BTW does Tengu also have this move or Nyo stole it from Brad?
View attachment 6332

Koomp already told you, but here's Bankotsubo's running P in action. That attack was -51 to -53 (depending on range) on block for Bankotsubo, but will be -16 for Nyotengu. I'd assume that range will still cause minor variables for her as well.

Last edited:

FatalxInnocence

I'm gonna disagree. She looks like she recovers fast from the fly stance, she pretty much lands instantly and doesn't look like there's weird recovery time like... iono, Kokoro's heichu or something. So if you fly, the Ein player throws out 46P which I'm gonna assume is throw punishable? ( I don't play Ein too much, so I don't know his frames at all honestly. ) which would grant you a free throw anyway. ( If it's throw punishable, like I said- I don't know Ein's frames... )

My point being people are going to be defensive when they see the person do her fly stance. She travels across the screen fast, has a feint from the fly + a throw and there's literally no recovery time on the fly stance if you choose to do nothing. ( Going off videos anyway, she kinda can block the instant she hits the floor... ) You can also choose your distance, it's not like she's stuck in the air until she gets to the opponent.

Lady Tengu

I think this video was already posted but can anyone tell what she says in her taunts and her ground stomp?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD