Now that people have played Soul Calibur 5, how do some of you feel about DOA5's "Super Moves"?

Gill Hustle

I really wasn't sure how these would work in a traditional 3D fighter, but after 2 days of play, I'm really digging these!

The games that come close to mind are the "anime fighters" like DBZ Tenkaichi/Raging Blast and Naruto titles.

So I'm thinking these won't be so bad in the DOA series, just still wondering the criteria for executing them though.

Raansu

I'm less worried about the power moves and more worried about if TN is capable of implementing them correctly.

Berzerk!

The supers in sc5 work well. It doesn't generally interrupt the flow of combat. Doa's implementation is not really the same though as there is no meter management, and thus more of a pure "right move for right situation" decision.
They will be fine from what we've heard. Cancellable charge up moves.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Think itl be funny if it turns into nothing more than a chargeup/cancel game of chicken.

I can easily see that happen if the moves have a short enough charge.

Gill Hustle

Think itl be funny if it turns into nothing more than a chargeup/cancel game of chicken.

I can easily see that happen if the moves have a short enough charge.

Oooh I didn't even think about that.

Hopefully they allow player testing and feedback.

d3v

The meter management in SC5 reminds me of 3rd Strike. Once certain characters get meter, you have to treat them differently, especially considering the amount of priority some of the CEs have (coupled with the fact that it's hard to block most of them on reaction).

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
No kidding. You watch that shit CLOSELY on Cervantes. psycho crusher of doom on that prick.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
I'd say it's closer to third strike since it has Just Guard and the lack of a secondary revenge meter, but yea.

I'm finally starting to be able to Just Guard shit online, and it feels good every time I do it. Stick is nearly a requirement though, most pad buttons are way too sticky to tap and release within that tiny ass window.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I was reading that apparently you increase the chances by plinking G > A+B+K > holding G. As it registers twice.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I'm finally starting to be able to Just Guard shit online, and it feels good every time I do it. Stick is nearly a requirement though, most pad buttons are way too sticky to tap and release within that tiny ass window.

How about you play on a stick?

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
How about you play on a stick?

I own a stick, I just don't use it because it's unresponsive bullshit for me and I have far better control with a pad than most people ever will on a stick.

The downside is that I happen to break pads over time through my excessive use of force.

Also, through experimentation I have discovered a very viable work around for JG, although I tested Mr. Wah's and it appears to be nothing more than a placebo someone came up with.

http://8wayrun.com/threads/just-gua...rriors-like-a-god-damn-pro.10761/#post-397832

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
I don't know if I like the super moves in SCV or that I'll like them in DOA5. I feel that they're all too common. At least in SCV you have to build up meter before you can pull them off but, from what we know, in DOA5 they look like they're just charged attacks and don't have any other sort of prerequisite. That concerns me and I think that the more casual observer or player would get tired from seeing them too often to the point that they get annoying instead of being exciting like they should be. Sort of how the Izuna Drop is far too prevalent in the newer DOAs, you know?

Raansu

I don't know if I like the super moves in SCV or that I'll like them in DOA5. I feel that they're all too common. At least in SCV you have to build up meter before you can pull them off but, from what we know, in DOA5 they look like they're just charged attacks and don't have any other sort of prerequisite. That concerns me and I think that the more casual observer or player would get tired from seeing them too often to the point that they get annoying instead of being exciting like they should be. Sort of how the Izuna Drop is far too prevalent in the newer DOAs, you know?

IMO as long as you can't cancel the charge up and that they can be sidestepped I won't have an issue with them not having a meter. Don't know what they will be like down the road, but as it stands from what we have seen, I don't think anyone will really use them in high level play. Especially since we already know that they can be held, and they are very unsafe on block. Too obvious and too high of a risk, I don't think they will be used often outside of scrubs spamming them.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
They can only be held by those "advanced" counters though, which are likely just double direction mid holds. How often are people going to just be throwing out "advanced" holds? Granted, the alternative is that they're held by regular holds too and I don't like that scenario either, haha. I don't know what I want.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD