Nioh General Discussion

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Finally found something that I can't figure out a sound strategy for. Got annoyed enough that I almost summoned someone to help me but held back. Anybody figure out a decent strat for the final area of the first sub mission on Twilight mode? It's kicking my ass in much the same way as Ninja Gaiden 3 RE Ultimate Ninja trials which I largely regarded as bullshit (but beat anyway). @DestructionBomb @Brute

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Finally found something that I can't figure out a sound strategy for. Got annoyed enough that I almost summoned someone to help me but held back. Anybody figure out a decent strat for the final area of the first sub mission on Twilight mode? It's kicking my ass in much the same way as Ninja Gaiden 3 RE Ultimate Ninja trials which I largely regarded as bullshit (but beat anyway). @DestructionBomb @Brute

Is that the one that has the summoner on top playing the evil music to keep spirits? (after you kill those flame tongue ones right?) - he's definitely the guy you want to eliminate first since he always summons spirits as well as remnants surprisingly. I remember him appearing in the final phase right in the middle. After that you have two Wheelie Yokai to deal with which are quite the pain at times but they have very low stamina build, I do know Katana mid stance Square > Triangle > Triangle eats them up (even better if it's +20 water or higher).

The most annoying in there after the flame tongue ones is the remnant and the wheelies.

EDIT: You can also trick the summoner to summon the water spirits, killing them forms your sword into water. You can go straight for the wheelies right after for bigger impact damage.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Yeah I kill him first anyway. The boost in water damage isn't enough to make it worth having more enemies to deal with. Those little bastard wheels run me down at the same time and kill me. I think you can smack them out of their rolling attack but it's hard for me to time. I can get to that last phase every time easily but yeah. I just watched a YT video of some moron basically suiciding into everything without lock on and just downing elixers like it was his job. I'll just do it tomorrow. Probably too annoyed to do it tonight and I'm not really doing it for any good reason either haha.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I'm pretty good at action games in general but I'm not sure I have the patience to pull off the feats you do in Nioh. Major props to you.

Sotherius

FInally beat the first boss, i'm playing this since yesterday...

I'm quite ashamed of myself since i play a lot of action games as well, but i'm improving. My build is probably not optimal as well.

Wonder if playing any souls game would help me, eh, probably not.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Cyber and Brute will explain it better, I still think souls games wouldn't really help since it's different in it's own way. There are some stuff that are overall hard in NiOh (vice-versa with souls) that you wouldn't see, but that's what makes it fun+thrill along with not being too heavily compared with each other on series.

Last edited:

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor

I'm quite ashamed of myself since i play a lot of action games as well, but i'm improving. My build is probably not optimal as well.

It would probably hurt just as much as it's helped. a big thing dark souls players couldn't get was that they constantly have a 100% block so they kept trying to dodge everything and got hit a lot.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor

You can't really play the game straight through as an action game. That's something I still struggle with and I've gotten quite good at the game. Also, since it's not really an RPG, don't think to rely on leveling up or improving stats. That's largely just going to open up more options in items and equipment for you. You can still be killed in a couple hits at high levels if you're not careful.

The best advice I can give is to go through the movelist for new weapons as you get them. Play around in the different stances and watch for where you can cancel recovery with dodges or items or more moves. You have to get used to managing your stamina and the best way to do that is to be comfortable with how your chosen weapon handles and how much stamina it'll take to cancel an attack with a dodge when you need to. Fastest way to die is to commit to an attack string and run out of stamina to dodge. Blocking at zero stamina will stagger you and cost you a lot of health at the least.

EDIT: @DestructionBomb Figured I'd give the mission one more shot because I'm a stubborn guy like that and obliterated the last fight. Of course. Now I just need the second main mission to open up in Twilight mode.

Last edited:

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
I like to play this game like im doing a karma run in NGB.

1. Plan your setup to suit each battle
2. Not spending a lot of time killing an enemy aka find the best setup for each enemy type that kills quick and efficient.

Brute

Standard Donor
Finally found something that I can't figure out a sound strategy for. Got annoyed enough that I almost summoned someone to help me but held back. Anybody figure out a decent strat for the final area of the first sub mission on Twilight mode?
My strategy was actually doing what DB said. I went in with the Dual Swords, had the summoner make two Blue heads then chopped them down to buff up my weapons. Then I used a combination of the Low Stance square combo and Windstorm II to take the wheels out, then approached the Revenant as normal. Note that I already had some great gear from farming Tachibana three times (Lvl 30+ weapons and armor all-around). Not sure if the strategy would still work as well at a lower level or with lower stats, as it relyed on basically bum-rushing the wheels and taking them down very quickly.

It wouldn't, really. Playing the Souls games only makes you better at playing the respective Souls game, as you learn the features and mechanics of the specific games and the challenges/scenarios it presents. You don't really refine any fundamentals by playing the Souls games a lot (at least any that would transfer to Nioh).

My advice, honestly, is just trial and error. If what you're doing doesn't seem to be working, try something else. You be surprised how effective certain strategies are that may be your third or fourth choice.

Don't feel bad if you're taking longer to get through it, though. Dedication is more admirable than arbitrary talent, anyway.

jojo

Once I accidentally found out you can sidestep his chain swings he became wayyyy easier. Now I just stay right in his face and wack away.

I still don't do much damage to him so it takes way too long but whatever.

That was really the main issue for me too, sometimes he'd chain swing immediately after his first attack so I'd get a hit in but be hit with a chain (if you block it though you have enough time to catch your breath and roll to safety). I think he's a pretty easy boss though, at least compared to the early bosses on souls games, second stage demo boss is way harder, though I still think it's a lot easier than Bloodborne (maybe just the late chalice dungeons and the Bloodstarved beast lol) though I imagine the 'hard' bosses are yet to be shown, and any dlc normally ramps up the difficulty too in these types of games.

I wonder how important stats will be, I used a Katana for the 2nd boss but an Axe (hammer) for the rest.

I think it definately would, it's very similar in gameplay/tactics at it's core, attack types and some mechanics vary but for the most part it's very similar. The biggest difference is the stamina bar really, as you aren't going to be using long combos on bosses very often in the beta. Same with how Bloodborne was a lot easier (after I killed the Bloodstarved Beast) since I played Dark Souls first despite it being a much faster game. I still think it was harder than Dark Souls by some distance though.

Last edited:

Brute

Standard Donor
I wonder how important stats will be, I used a Katana for the 2nd boss but an Axe (hammer) for the rest.
I've mainly been upgrading Heart and Endurance, and at least how my character is stat-wise it's silly to use the Axes/Hammers, as the dual swords dish out far more damage far quicker.

jojo

I've mainly been upgrading Heart and Endurance, and at least how my character is stat-wise it's silly to use the Axes/Hammers, as the dual swords dish out far more damage far quicker.

I like the poisebreaking of the Axes, which is why I primarily used them. Though I mostly leveled up Endurance (if that's the hp one) and Strength, alongside other minor stats to equip armor/ninja stuff and spells.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
Speaking of breaking does anyone else think Tempest should be on high stance? I've yet to land the move once and it's largly because mid stance just doesn't guard break often.

NinjaRayMan

The amount of attention, depth and nuance in this game is heartwarming.
I haven't looked forward to getting my ass repeatedly handed to me since Ninja Gaiden.
I would like to see better hit detection when not locked on and less auto-tracking when dodging.
I still prefer the combat of NG but this has everything I look for in a good Team Ninja game.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I unlocked another gesture from the mimic enemy in the box. It's completely random in Twilight missions but he definitely appears in these within treasure boxes, the big ones. I need to start screenshotting it.

This video I found quite helpful! He covers how to successfully pull off Tempest among other things.

It's the same thing I did in the Alpha (Swap 3x), it's heavily nerfed though. Either way, this seems more on a realistic scale so it's still good. I like the setup on Tachibana, that was pretty cool.

Brute

Standard Donor
Ran each Twilight Mission twice and still have yet to come across a single mimic chest. I have, however, noticed that politely bowing to the Demon Doors will open them up without a fight.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
Ran each Twilight Mission twice and still have yet to come across a single mimic chest. I have, however, noticed that politely bowing to the Demon Doors will open them up without a fight.

Not all the time trust me -_-

Also at the current level of demon doors there really is no reason not to kill them. mess up the gesture and you get flattened meanwhile an arrow to the eye and a combo will take half its health. They're absurdly weak despite their appearance.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD