Nioh General Discussion

jojo

I think I'm getting used to the game now, in about 30-40 minutes I managed to clear the first side mission and pass a shrine and kill some of the yokai guys in the shroud without dying stupidly like I've been doing mostly. It's the wrong game to do this for but I enjoy it a lot more when I'm not dying. I feel like I scaled up but the enemies are the same and I must be like lv 15 or something.

I don't really understand comments about the combat being better than dark souls, it's not really anything too different and the stamina is the biggest thing. I haven't tried ninja stuff ect. and just use the hammer triangle for most enemies for the stun, though I don't know how to parry either so there's a lot of aspects I'm missing.

I'm not really in any rush to buy it, maybe when it goes cheap. I still need to finish DS2 anyway, some reason I've not felt like playing it much so I'm probably barely past halfway after a year despite finishing the rest. I'll probably just miss out on DS3 entirely though since I really would just rather play DS1 again, if I clear up some games maybe one day I'll buy either Nioh or DS3.

Last edited:

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Yeah I can take a screenshot when I go for the twilight mission again. They don't seem to appear in regular versions it seems, and it's only the big treasure boxes. They come out with a bag on their back and transform into you while performing taunts. If you attack right away I don't think you'll receive new ones. I can definitely post the screenshots of the gestures I unlocked.

Yeah Tachibana can be a dick lol, that dog always seems to get me the 2nd time since I forget his lower health version will try to come back to you for an attack.
I fucking love Team NINJA. Going way back, they've always put in a ton of cool details. The original NG (Xbox) was just littered with odd or awesome stuff.

No I don't.

I'm not saying I never die but souls games can get tedious playing solo after a while and co op makes anything more fun.

I've only done the first mission so far, killed the ball and chain demon on the boat.

I was just fucking with you. Play the way the game is the most fun. I really do feel like coop cheapens things but to be fair I didn't play any of the alpha or the current beta in coop.

Brute

Standard Donor
I don't really understand comments about the combat being better than dark souls, it's not really anything too different and the stamina is the biggest thing.
1) You have way more options in terms of attack types that can be used at will for a variety of effects, offering far more per-second options than you're allowed in the Souls games (which are largely dependent on "What's your build?" and then just doing the best thing you've got when you get the chance).

2) Collision detection is actually really good in Nioh, whereas it is notoriously crap in the Souls games.

Those two things alone put it in an entirely different category, IMO.

jojo

I fucking love Team NINJA. Going way back, they've always put in a ton of cool details. The original NG (Xbox) was just littered with odd or awesome stuff.

I was just fucking with you. Play the way the game is the most fun. I really do feel like coop cheapens things but to be fair I didn't play any of the alpha or the current beta in coop.
I think the main thing is whether or not the Nioh online is irritating to use, Dark Souls was pretty bad for connectivity, fixed in the later games though I think.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I think the main thing is whether or not the Nioh online is irritating to use, Dark Souls was pretty bad for connectivity, fixed in the later games though I think.
I only used coop in Dark Souls to knock out bosses quickly when I didn't feel like learning patterns or something. Pure laziness and I never liked the combat system there, whereas I love combat in Nioh. It's just extremely responsive and nuanced. For example, being in High Stance with a katana you can dodge backwards out of range of an attack and then immediately hit Triangle to launch forward in a sort of dodge counterattack. Similar options with side rolls. The parry/counter windows are pretty tight and sort of weird at first but that's how Counter was in the original Ninja Gaiden, too. They made it more of an instant thing in the following games but yeah.

jojo

1) You have way more options in terms of attack types that can be used at will for a variety of effects, offering far more per-second options than you're allowed in the Souls games (which are largely dependent on "What's your build?" and then just doing the best thing you've got when you get the chance).

2) Collision detection is actually really good in Nioh, whereas it is notoriously crap in the Souls games.

I'm not sure I agree totally with either of your points, though it really depends on which souls game you mean. Bloodborne has great hitboxes (ignoring watchdog) and its weapons are really varied especially compared to Dark Souls (less weapons but more variety in usage) though DS2 hitboxes are really awful, and I think they scale with a stat lol DS1 it never really felt like an issue for me but I know Bloodborne improved significantly in terms of hitboxes

I think in the full game it's likely Nioh will win on all aspects though I don't feel it's an extremely important factor as long as both have variety, personally I prefer DS1 than any of the other games in the series combine. Any idea how weapon scaling works at higher levels for Nioh?

I only used coop in Dark Souls to knock out bosses quickly when I didn't feel like learning patterns or something. Pure laziness and I never liked the combat system there, whereas I love combat in Nioh. It's just extremely responsive and nuanced. For example, being in High Stance with a katana you can dodge backwards out of range of an attack and then immediately hit Triangle to launch forward in a sort of dodge counterattack. Similar options with side rolls. The parry/counter windows are pretty tight and sort of weird at first but that's how Counter was in the original Ninja Gaiden, too. They made it more of an instant thing in the following games but yeah.

Did you ever play Bloodborne? I know a lot of people much preferred the combat in that than Dark Souls since it was a lot quicker. I'm pretty sure there were backwards roll attacks in those games but I imagine Nioh will be more deliberate in a sense. I can't really explain why I like Dark Souls 1 so much more than other similar games, maybe it was just the frame of mind I was in back then.

I realised I use axes mainly so that's why I never ran into parrying. I only really used summoning in Dark Souls for SL1 stuff or pvp and skipped it entirely in the rest of the games pretty much. I would assume Nioh PvP would be really well recieved if they can get a good system going.

Last edited:

Brute

Standard Donor
The parry/counter windows are pretty tight and sort of weird at first but that's how Counter was in the original Ninja Gaiden, too. They made it more of an instant thing in the following games but yeah.
I personally hate the parries in this one. The activation time is longer than the attacks I want to parry, so there's little incentive not to simply switch up attack types and get a stun interrupt instead. If you like them as is, all the more power to you. But if TN doesn't change them I'm going to forgo purchasing those upgrades in the final version, as I never use them.

Argentus

Eh collision is about the same as souls. So many deaths from attacks that were nowhere near me, or enemies changing direction in mid attack to track my dodge.

As for the high low mid thing, its cool and all but I find myself using one stance exclusively per weapon anyway.

Its still a step up like how dark souls 2 added in proper dual wield movesets.

But this really does just feel like another souls game. Its TOO much of a copycat, I think.

That kind of stuff was in dark souls as well. Back step and attack to lunge with thrust weapons, etc.

I'm literally using spears in the same way I used Richards rapier lol. Bait backsteo and flurry thrust.

I'm not sure I agree totally with either of your points, though it really depends on which souls game you mean. Bloodborne has great hitboxes (ignoring watchdog) and its weapons are really varied especially compared to Dark Souls (less weapons but more variety in usage) though DS2 hitboxes are really awful, and I think they scale with a stat lol DS1 it never really felt like an issue for me but I know Bloodborne improved significantly in terms of hitboxes

I think in the full game it's likely Nioh will win on all aspects though I don't feel it's an extremely important factor as long as both have variety, personally I prefer DS1 than any of the other games in the series combine. Any idea how weapon scaling works at higher levels for Nioh?

Did you ever play Bloodborne? I know a lot of people much preferred the combat in that than Dark Souls since it was a lot quicker. I'm pretty sure there were backwards roll attacks in those games but I imagine Nioh will be more deliberate in a sense. I can't really explain why I like Dark Souls 1 so much more than other similar games, maybe it was just the frame of mind I was in back then.

I realised I use axes mainly so that's why I never ran into parrying. I only really used summoning in Dark Souls for SL1 stuff or pvp and skipped it entirely in the rest of the games pretty much. I would assume Nioh PvP would be really well recieved if they can get a good system going.

Dark souls 1 is easily the best out of everything due to the balance and sheer variety. Couldn't get into the second game as much.

Also I couldn't get into blood borne. All the gear looks the same and with Souls games once you get the hang of the wonky mechanics all challenge is gone so the only thing keeping me going is the gear to unlock.

Like I'm replaying the first stage in the nioh demo to get the rest of the green guys and level up and practice. I'm back at the boss and having trouble with him again. So I'm just practicing and figuring out the mechanics. I have almost no stamina to work with so all I can do is poke once and run before his spin counter so the fight takes SO LONG its tedious not even fun. Also his hit boxes are wonky as hell. Just body slammed me and I died even though I dodged the slam. Also gotten hit by the double overhead despite clearly dodging it.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
oh wow the Hino-enma boss fight becomes a thousand times easier when you just run instead of trying to dodge everything. well I got my Mark now gonna pop in to see what is up with the Twilight missions, but other than that im pretty much done.

love the game, but im pretty much done till then. i don't want to burn myself out doing difficult challenges that im just gonna have to do again when the real game comes out or another demo comes out.

jojo

Dark souls 1 is easily the best out of everything due to the balance and sheer variety. Couldn't get into the second game as much.

Also I couldn't get into blood borne. All the gear looks the same and with Souls games once you get the hang of the wonky mechanics all challenge is gone so the only thing keeping me going is the gear to unlock.

Like I'm replaying the first stage in the nioh demo to get the rest of the green guys and level up and practice. I'm back at the boss and having trouble with him again. So I'm just practicing and figuring out the mechanics. I have almost no stamina to work with so all I can do is poke once and run before his spin counter so the fight takes SO LONG its tedious not even fun. Also his hit boxes are wonky as hell. Just body slammed me and I died even though I dodged the slam. Also gotten hit by the double overhead despite clearly dodging it.

I think part of it is due to not knowing what weapons work ect. some of those Bloodborne speedrunners kill a boss in like 30 seconds while I've always felt the Bloodborne bosses were like Dark Souls bosses but with twice the health, though it's a little more complicated than just hitting them normally, people complete Dark Souls 1 with 1 hitting every boss (maybe not the early ones since they need equipment) so yeah. The first boss goes down pretty quick with an axe, and outside of his chain form has much lower defence. Just don't try dodging his ball throw when you are right under him lol

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I died to a stupid basic enemy during a run back to the boss and lost it all.

So of course the boss attempt immediately after that I steamrolled him since by that point id leveled up familiarity on my spear from constantly running back lol

I never remember to switch stances though and wind up just always high stance for the huge 360 degree spear sweeps and thrust barrage so I'm always at risk of running out of stamina. Adds to the challenge I suppose.

I like all the cool yanks sweeps and flips the low stance has for spears but I've seen too many enemies simply not flinching from my attacks so I never wanna risk it.

Yeah I saw the callback but I didn't know it saved the souls too so I didn't use it. Wish id known

Well if you are really asking for it Argentus, there is an intense cheap way to kill him (when I entered the boat skip to 23:22, also if you get him in the corner with the bird spirit you can completely eliminate his entire health on the first go using the Dual Katanas. Drop his stamina down completely and then summon your guardian spirit.)

I really think that battle isn't as hard as you make it out to be Argentus even on really lower levels. I was able to beat that stage along with the boss completely naked with the fists, think I died twice on my two attempts and then I started it again all over to do it in one shot with bare hands and naked. Took roughly around 40 minutes somewhere there and probably might make a fun video out of it. At the moment i'm trying to get a good bare fist run against Tachibana, he's been making it worse than it has to be, I still enjoy it though.

Last edited:

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
oh wow the Hino-enma boss fight becomes a thousand times easier when you just run instead of trying to dodge everything. well I got my Mark now gonna pop in to see what is up with the Twilight missions, but other than that im pretty much done.

love the game, but im pretty much done till then. i don't want to burn myself out doing difficult challenges that im just gonna have to do again when the real game comes out or another demo comes out.
The drops in Twilight missions are awesome. Got some named dual katanas from a Yokai at random and the first mission gives you Raikiri as a reward, which is my favorite sword in the game. As for Hino-enma or however you spell it, she's even easier if you dodge AT her when she does certain attacks. Running definitely evades everything but she's wide open if you get the dodging down. I think Bomb does it in his barehanded video if you need a reference. Just gotta hit and run which I personally detest.

Sotherius

Well, i'm playing the demo since yesterday, and i'm loving it, but damn, i thought i would be better at this...

still haven't reached the first boss. messing up stuff all the time.

How many bosses there are on this demo? and what i need to do to get all the dlc?

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Well, i'm playing the demo since yesterday, and i'm loving it, but damn, i thought i would be better at this...

still haven't reached the first boss. messing up stuff all the time.

How many bosses there are on this demo? and what i need to do to get all the dlc?
There are two main bosses and one extra boss in a side mission. You have to beat the two main bosses for the two DLC items. The extra one is the hardest by far but also the most fun. Just don't try to play like Ninja Gaiden (which I'm prone to doing) and you'll be successful. Learn when to switch stance, find a weapon that feels good to you, and don't get greedy with damage. It takes a bit but you'll get the hang of it.

jojo

There are two main bosses and one extra boss in a side mission. You have to beat the two main bosses for the two DLC items. The extra one is the hardest by far but also the most fun. Just don't try to play like Ninja Gaiden (which I'm prone to doing) and you'll be successful. Learn when to switch stance, find a weapon that feels good to you, and don't get greedy with damage. It takes a bit but you'll get the hang of it.
So there's no rewards for twilight missions? I just won the side mission duel so its just twilight left.

Last edited:

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
so i recently learned if you use a suppa scroll while in a smokebomb then you can become invisible even around enemies, or if you use a smokebomb before you attack your invisiblity will not where off allowing you to do stuff like

smokebomb->combo->invisibility->escape->smokebomb->draw slash>combo-> invisibility> escape-> sneak attack

Argentus

I think part of it is due to not knowing what weapons work ect. some of those Bloodborne speedrunners kill a boss in like 30 seconds while I've always felt the Bloodborne bosses were like Dark Souls bosses but with twice the health, though it's a little more complicated than just hitting them normally, people complete Dark Souls 1 with 1 hitting every boss (maybe not the early ones since they need equipment) so yeah. The first boss goes down pretty quick with an axe, and outside of his chain form has much lower defence. Just don't try dodging his ball throw when you are right under him lol

Well if you are really asking for it Argentus, there is an intense cheap way to kill him (when I entered the boat skip to 23:22, also if you get him in the corner with the bird spirit you can completely eliminate his entire health on the first go using the Dual Katanas. Drop his stamina down completely and then summon your guardian spirit.)

I really think that battle isn't as hard as you make it out to be Argentus even on really lower levels. I was able to beat that stage along with the boss completely naked with the fists, think I died twice on my two attempts and then I started it again all over to do it in one shot with bare hands and naked. Took roughly around 40 minutes somewhere there and probably might make a fun video out of it. At the moment i'm trying to get a good bare fist run against Tachibana, he's been making it worse than it has to be, I still enjoy it though.

Once I accidentally found out you can sidestep his chain swings he became wayyyy easier. Now I just stay right in his face and wack away.

I still don't do much damage to him so it takes way too long but whatever.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD