New "Game Changing" Combos?

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
Just consider it anouther reason not to get hit with it.and fights break flow constantly in this game and have even before the PBs and Cliffhangers you do about a 1/4th damage and wait for the reset.

That said i really don't think Power launchers is what they meant by game changing combos.

Blazeincarnated

I doubt it, but I wish there'd be an option to turn Power Launchers off.

because a) It breaks the flow of the fight, and b) We know people are going to spend the entire match trying to spam it.

LMFAO! #Fail

Im sorry Argentus but you can't go spilling bullshit like that. You can still counter a Power Launcher or Power blow.

Blazeincarnated

So TN has said returning DOA5 characters will have new "game changing" combos. Does that imply characters will have new moves or just different new combos with existing moves that deal with the "game changing" effect? Thoughts?

New/returning moves basically....

Jaguar360

LMFAO! #Fail

Im sorry Argentus but you can't go spilling bullshit like that. You can still counter a Power Launcher.

IKR. In Street Fighter, the only thing you can do is guard. Here you can guard against the Power blow/launcher, counter throw, strike first, or even hold against it! (All assuming your not in Critical Burst)

Argentus

How can you spam it if you can only do it or a power blow once per round? It would make much more sense to do it after Critical Burst. Besides, only skilled players would be able to benefit from a Power Launcher.

I'm guessing that you can still do the launcher in the same way that you can still do a power blow at any time, though it won't be the "super" version unless your health is low.

And yes, only skilled players will be able to BENEFIT. But EVERYONE will try. That's generally how the promise of an easy juggle works.

I'm not saying it will WORK for them, I'm just saying people will be trying to spam it. If you can't even do a regular launcher without being in the red though, neat!

Argentus

LMFAO! #Fail

Im sorry Argentus but you can't go spilling bullshit like that. You can still counter a Power Launcher or Power blow.

And this is relevant how? I said people will try to spam it (assuming you can still do the "non super" version at any time, like a power blow). I never said anything about not being able to counter it.

Blazeincarnated

I'm guessing that you can still do the launcher in the same way that you can still do a power blow at any time, though it won't be the "super" version unless your health is low.

And yes, only skilled players will be able to BENEFIT. But EVERYONE will try. That's generally how the promise of an easy juggle works.

I'm not saying it will WORK for them, I'm just saying people will be trying to spam it. If you can't even do a regular launcher without being in the red though, neat!

WTF are you talking about?

Argentus

WTF are you talking about?

If I do Mila's Power Blow without my health being in the red, or if I already landed the super version, it will still do the power blow attack animation (Lean back then punch) only without the "vortex" or going into the cutscene animation when it lands. It will still knock the opponent back, but not send them flying like the "super/power" version. Maybe its coincidence with Mila, but I'm just going off what I see with her.

I'm assuming you can still do the launcher, like that, even if you can't do the "power" version.

If you CAN'T, then yay. But I'm just going off that E3 trailer, where the Power Launcher looks similar to Power Blow, only, yaknow, vertical instead of horizontal.

David Gregg

It will still knock the opponent back, but not send them flying like the "super/power" version.

I wonder about this though. Is there any possibility that a power launcher not fully charged could have any follow ups? I'm pretty sure the animation finishes after the opponent is already dropped but say you have them positioned against a wall or you've stunned them and then used the uncharged power launcher.

synce

Doubt it Gregg... as you said the recovery frames are just too great. I think the implementation of power launchers and the way TN handled E3 perfectly highlights just how out of touch they are with the competitive community. So far we've seen a trailer showing costumes, random offscreen footage of scrubs playing, and Shimbori failing at his own game.

Argentus

Doubt it Gregg... as you said the recovery frames are just too great. I think the implementation of power launchers and the way TN handled E3 perfectly highlights just how out of touch they are with the competitive community. So far we've seen a trailer showing costumes, random offscreen footage of scrubs playing, and Shimbori failing at his own game.

To be fair, DoA was always the "fun fighter". Seeing them try to turn it into like...tekken or something with original DOA5 was pretty disappointing. Sounds more like they are just bringing the game back to it's roots. As in

Fun, casual fighter first
Competitive fighter second.

Seems to be the general idea in mind, here.

ScattereDreams

To be fair, DoA was always the "fun fighter". Seeing them try to turn it into like...tekken or something with original DOA5 was pretty disappointing. Sounds more like they are just bringing the game back to it's roots. As in

Fun, casual fighter first
Competitive fighter second.

Seems to be the general idea in mind, here.

Turn into Tekken? I'm guess you're referring to DOA's juggle system which IMO is quite lenient compared to DOA3.1 where slope infinites existed and Bass could possibly kill you with a death combo.

Argentus

Turn into Tekken? I'm guess you're referring to DOA's juggle system which IMO is quite lenient compared to DOA3.1 where slope infinites existed and Bass could possibly kill you with a death combo.

I was referring to that, but also keep in mind that 3.1 was just a japan exclusive edition of DOA3, a niche game at best, compared to the overall series.

But I'm also talking on the whole. Mechanics, aesthetics, presentation, attitude. Think about how it went.
Originally, it was "No fanservice, we are gonna be a REAL tournament worthy competitive game, like Street Fighter and Tekken, and MvC!"
Then they backpedaled on some of that with the usual focus on fanservice with the dlc, then the patch that some people will argue removed certain "competitive" features (character tweaks, removed some loops, etc, etc). Now with DOA5U, they are bringing back a lot of the old DOA focuses, like music, stages, costumes, characters, as well as apparently tweaking characters even further, bringing health back up, etc, etc.

It just really seems like they are bringing DoA back to it's "Stylish Casual Fighter" roots with DoA5U, or at least, trying to, as opposed to what DOA5 tried to be, which is "just" a tournament fighter.

I'm all for it. I used to love DOA for its presentation as a "fun, fluid fighter". DoA5 had some mechanical improvements (Less counter damage, sidestepping though useless it may be, etc), but overall felt like a terrible DoA game. Just that it was trying to be/imitate Tekken (Right down to the color scheme and grungy menus...).

ScattereDreams

I was referring to that, but also keep in mind that 3.1 was just a japan exclusive edition of DOA3,

3.2 was a exact replication of 3.1 that came out in Europe. In reality the U.S got the short end of the stick, you can thank Itagaki for that because we got the worst version of DOA3.

Just that it was trying to be/imitate Tekken (Right down to the color scheme and grungy menus...).

I still don't understand how DOA5 was trying to imitate tekken, a game that rarely gets patch updates, or remakes. Comparing it to SF would have been more feasible; I don't know what was the last Tekken game you've played but TTT2 is far from "grungy menus". It's the exact opposite of DOA5's menu.

Argentus

3.2 was a exact replication of 3.1 that came out in Europe. In reality the U.S got the short end of the stick, you can thank Itagaki for that because we got the worst version of DOA3.

I still don't understand how DOA5 was trying to imitate tekken, a game that rarely gets patch updates, or remakes. Comparing it to SF would have been more feasible; I don't know what was the last Tekken game you've played but TTT2 is far from "grungy menus". It's the exact opposite of DOA5's menu.

It's the aesthetics, mostly, and trying superhardcore to appeal to the "tournament crowd", (which isn't something DoA has ever worried about before). last tekken I played was 6, and that had the grungy red from what I remember, like DoA5. (I don't like tag team matches, so I didnt get TTT2. That, and I'm not really into Tekken, either.). I'm mostly comparing it to Tekken, because, beyond what I just stated, it and Soul Calibur are the only other noteworthy 3D fighters, and Soul Calibur is waaay too different to compare. (VF is all but forgotten, sad to say).

I'm very bitter about the complete 180 with DoA5's presentation, in case you couldn't tell. From sleek blue and silver to grungy red and black, from freakin Aerosmith and dance tracks to godawful amateur rap and borderline unnoticed background music.

As for 3.2....I didn't even know there WAS a 3.2. So there ya go.

Blazeincarnated

The "New" Team Ninja spent 7 years trying to cater towards the competitive crowd, and it lost its vibrance. Now with this version of DOA, they can finally pull the shit together (Maybe? lol) Idk but hopefully it is done some justice from what we've seen.
And above all......
tumblr_mnbxneK5oS1qzew1so5_250.gif

David Gregg

I'm very bitter about the complete 180 with DoA5's presentation, in case you couldn't tell. From sleek blue and silver to grungy red and black, from freakin Aerosmith and dance tracks to godawful amateur rap and borderline unnoticed background music.

TTT2 may be just the game for you then Argentus. It's funny the styles sort of flip-flopped with DOA 5 taking a more realistic look and TTT2 taking a cartoon-like approach as was the case with DOA 4. That and the soundtrack for TTT2 is incredible (and you could always use your own music so it's a win-win all around).

200px-Tekken_Tag_Tournament_2_-_Stage_6.jpg

Just to give you an idea of how ridiculous the stages in TTT2 are. Ha ha.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD