Need help

Rapham0n

I need some help on some of the stuff in this game. Dead Or Alive 5 does a disappointingly bad job of explaining how things work. I've played through the story mode and the explanations on how to do things are extremely vague at best. So could somebody please explain to me in great detail step-by-step the following concepts and how exactly they work:

-Critical Burst! (most importantly how in the hell do you do this?!? I do not understand the story mode explanation of how to do a Critical Burst!)

-Power Blow

-Offensive Hold (I'm not really sure I understand the difference between a Hold and a Offensive Hold)

Koompbala

Go here http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/dead-or-alive-terminology.1887/

Critical Burst - for an easy critical burst combo thats universal is CB, forward P, CB, CB the CPU lets you get away with a lot. Basically you know the Critical Burst will work when the words "Critical Burst" start blinking red in the upper right corner of the screen. The game is telling you use CB now for a free launch or Power Blow.

Power Blow - your life needs to be at 50% for it to activate and you can only use one per round. You know you will have one when your life bar starts flashing red. Also you dont need to fully charge it for it to activate. When you see the wind come from a character that means your power Blow will come out. You need to partially charge your Power Blow for it to work after a Critical Burst.

Arcade mode tells you how to every characters CB & PB

Rapham0n

Any info on how Cliffhangers work? When exactly do I have to press P/K or T in order to do my attack to an opponent in a cliffhanger, and how do I block an attack when I'm the one in the cliffhanger?

Jaguar360

I need some help on some of the stuff in this game. Dead Or Alive 5 does a disappointingly bad job of explaining how things work. I've played through the story mode and the explanations on how to do things are extremely vague at best. So could somebody please explain to me in great detail step-by-step the following concepts and how exactly they work:

-Offensive Hold (I'm not really sure I understand the difference between a Hold and a Offensive Hold)
An offensive hold is a throw that acts as a hold, meaning that it has priority over strikes. Not all characters have OH's in DOA5, only Bayman, Leifang, Ryu Hayabusa, Jahn Lee, Brad Wong, Alpha-152, Bass, Tina, La Mariposa/Lisa, and Mila. For example, Bayman's :6::6::H+P: and Hayabusa's :8::H+P: are offensive holds.

Any info on how Cliffhangers work? When exactly do I have to press P/K or T in order to do my attack to an opponent in a cliffhanger, and how do I block an attack when I'm the one in the cliffhanger?
Just press P, K, or T once any time after your opponent grabs the ledge. To block a strike, I think you would press :h: and to block a throw you would press T.

Nightpup

Attacker: If your opponent grabs the ledge, just mash either P for attack or T for throw.
Defender: Grab the ledge with H. Mash H to defend yourself from an attack, or T to defend yourself from a throw.

And about offensive holds:
They're basically just holds masked as a throw. Let's use Alpha-152's 66T as an example. If someone throws out a standing attack, no matter what height it is, and Alpha-152's 66T grabs them before their attack hits, then their attack will be stopped and she will grab them. Just like if you hold a mid punch, that punch will stop and you'll attack them. Standing offensive holds grab any enemy that is standing, no matter what height of an attack they're doing.
Likewise, crouching offensive holds grab any enemy that is crouching, no matter what height of an attack they're doing. Keep in mind, though, that they ARE holds. If someone does a regular throw and you try to do an offensive hold, they will win and get a hi counter throw.

Gaignun

I believe that offensive holds have priority over strikes only during the final frames of their animation. I know for a fact that Leifang gets jabbed out of the startup of her :6::6::H+P: offensive hold.

Jaguar360

I believe that offensive holds have priority over strikes only during the final frames of their animation. I know for a fact that Leifang gets jabbed out of the startup of her :6::6::H+P: offensive hold.
Yeah, this. You can't just throw out offensive holds just to punish a strike all the time.

Rapham0n

Thanks for the replies guys. I really wish the game would just teach players all this stuff. The descriptions/explanations in the story mode is just very confusing and tells me nothing. Anyway I have some more questions:

Critical Burst!: I still don't understand the concept of Critical Burst! Why is this even in the game? As far as I can tell its only purpose is to stun your opponent so that you can hit them with a combo or Power Blow afterwards. It seems redundant having this in the game considering that there are already plenty of moves in the game that can stun. I just don't see what the Critical Burst! feature brings to the game.

What are the stats for on the character select screen? (The ones that show while you wait for your character to load). I'm not sure what they indicate:
-Strike/Hold/Throw: (Does this indicate the damage that the character's Strikes/Holds/Throws do or is it the number of Strikes/Holds/Throws that the character has in his/her move list?)
-Power: (Does this indicate the amount of damage the character's attacks do or the amount of health the character has?)
-Speed: (Does this indicate the movement speed (walking/running/dashing) or the speed of the character's attacks, or both?)
-Moves: (Does this indicate the number of total moves in the character's move list or how easy/difficult it is to use this character?)

Nightpup

No one knows what the stats mean and none of them are accurate so ignore those.

Critical Burst is essentially just that. A method of bursting past the stun threshold so you can get that extra hit in and be guaranteed a launcher into your best and most damaging juggle.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
What are the stats for on the character select screen? (The ones that show while you wait for your character to load). I'm not sure what they indicate:
-Strike/Hold/Throw: (Does this indicate the damage that the character's Strikes/Holds/Throws do or is it the number of Strikes/Holds/Throws that the character has in his/her move list?)
-Power: (Does this indicate the amount of damage the character's attacks do or the amount of health the character has?)
-Speed: (Does this indicate the movement speed (walking/running/dashing) or the speed of the character's attacks, or both?)
-Moves: (Does this indicate the number of total moves in the character's move list or how easy/difficult it is to use this character?)
Here are my takes on each category:

Strike - The higher the value, the greater the % of their damage will come from punch/kick strike attacks.
Power - The strength of their strikes and throws.
Holds - You'll notice the people with higher values have more options than the regular counters. The higher numbers mean they have more advanced counters or even parry counters as well.
Throws - The higher the value, the greater the throws they have. They will also have more offensive holds.
Moves - How fluid your character is between strikes. The ability to mix up strings, if you can chain strings together, and side step capabilities.

akhi216

Standard Donor
Rapham0n said:

The character attributes are explained here.

Today I'll explain the parameters on the character select screen. STRIKE, THROW, and HOLD give you an idea of each kind of attack. Characters with a high STRIKE are, well, strikers, and characters with high THROW ratings are grapplers.

Then there are the other ratings. POWER rates damage/strength of moves, SPEED rates movement and how fast they strike and MOVES rates the number of special moves and follow-ups. So if you have a high SPEED and low POWER then you'll have an advantage more often, but you could still get things turned around on you because you're more susceptible to holds. MOVES is actually kind of hard to explain, so here's a real example. In DOA5, Ayane can use little moves to confuse her opponent, so her MOVES rating is high.

We're putting in those parameters so you can get an idea of what kind of play style each character has. Like I tweeted yesterday, these are tied to character individuality, so they should be pretty close to the actual abilities. I want to make a fighting game where character selection part of the fun. We're thinking hard about character abilities and individuality so players can choose the character that suits them best.

Jaguar360

Thanks for the replies guys. I really wish the game would just teach players all this stuff. The descriptions/explanations in the story mode is just very confusing and tells me nothing. Anyway I have some more questions:

Critical Burst!: I still don't understand the concept of Critical Burst! Why is this even in the game? As far as I can tell its only purpose is to stun your opponent so that you can hit them with a combo or Power Blow afterwards. It seems redundant having this in the game considering that there are already plenty of moves in the game that can stun. I just don't see what the Critical Burst! feature brings to the game.

Basically what Nightpup said, but some things to add. You will get maximum launch height on a critical burst, so that you can use your character's most powerful launcher, so that you can get the best combo. Also, some launchers or other moves may be too slow to use while just in stun, such as Kasumi's :236::P: or Hayabusa's :236::P+K::P::P::6842::H+P:. That's why Critical Burst! is so important.

Nightpup

We're putting in those parameters so you can get an idea of what kind of play style each character has. Like I tweeted yesterday, these are tied to character individuality, so they should be pretty close to the actual abilities. I want to make a fighting game where character selection part of the fun. We're thinking hard about character abilities and individuality so players can choose the character that suits them best.
Then why are Alpha's stats EXACTLY THE SAME as Kasumi's? Yeah, no. He failed with the stat thing.

Jaguar360

Then why are Alpha's stats EXACTLY THE SAME as Kasumi's? Yeah, no. He failed with the stat thing.
That's immediately what I thought of! Alpha's stats are more like Strikes: 4/5, Holds 3/5, Throw: 5/5, Power: 3/5, Speed: 5/5, Moves: 1/5.
I would like stats in the next game, but with more accuracy and more types of descriptions such as range and safety.

Nightpup

More like: Strikes-5/5, Holds-0/5, Throw-4/5, Power-3/5, Speed-5/5, Moves-1/5

But yeah. TC, I wouldn't recommend looking at the stats when deciding on a main.

Jaguar360

More like: Strikes-5/5, Holds-0/5, Throw-4/5, Power-3/5, Speed-5/5, Moves-1/5

But yeah. TC, I wouldn't recommend looking at the stats when deciding on a main.
I considered the OH's when doing Alpha's holds. I guess that could be in the throw category, though.

Rapham0n

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have some new questions. Which characters are better suited to beginners, and which characters are considered to be hard characters to play properly?

I just want to start off with a beginner-friendly character and as I learn the game I'll work my way up to other characters.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
All the characters will generally teach you the triangle system and critical stun system equally. Some obviously take more advantage of certain areas over another.

The question becomes then, what type of character do you like to play? One who is defensive with reliance on guarding/holding, or one that is offensive with one that can pressure or extend stuns, or one that is more environmental and vies for positioning.

Rapham0n

All the characters will generally teach you the triangle system and critical stun system equally. Some obviously take more advantage of certain areas over another.

The question becomes then, what type of character do you like to play? One who is defensive with reliance on guarding/holding, or one that is offensive with one that can pressure or extend stuns, or one that is more environmental and vies for positioning.

I like fast characters, and I like rushdown characters. I prefer to be on the offensive. Playing defensively is not really my thing. I can play defensively if the situation calls for it, but I definitely prefer to be on the offensive. I like DOA's hold/counter system, but at the same time I don't want a character that absolutely HAS to rely on his/her holds in order to get anywhere. I don't really use throws all that often. I've got nothing against throws and the throws certainly aren't difficult to do. It's just that the way I tend to play I just don't use throws too often. I'm not really sure why. I could most definitely practice and teach myself to use throws more often if that is required.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
I like fast characters, and I like rushdown characters. I prefer to be on the offensive. Playing defensively is not really my thing. I can play defensively if the situation calls for it, but I definitely prefer to be on the offensive. I like DOA's hold/counter system, but at the same time I don't want a character that absolutely HAS to rely on his/her holds in order to get anywhere. I don't really use throws all that often. I've got nothing against throws and the throws certainly aren't difficult to do. It's just that the way I tend to play I just don't use throws too often. I'm not really sure why. I could most definitely practice and teach myself to use throws more often if that is required.
This screams Christie. She is a paper tiger all the way. Easy to pick up, but also easy to develop bad habits with.

Since you said beginner character, I didn't recommend Akira. But in case you are ambitious, here are some of my videos of his offensive play style.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD