Namco Bandai Developing Next Smash Bros.

Arnell Long

Looks like a new team will be developing the next Smash Bros. project.

smashbros042312coverjpg-43f02a.jpg

It was revealed during today's Nintendo Direct Broadcast that Namco Bandai will be developing the next Super Smash Bros. games alongside Kid Icarus team Sora. The titles were previously announced for Wii U and 3DS. Series creator Masahiro Sakurai will still be heading up the project, which is normally developed by his HAL Laboratory team.
Yoshito Higuchi, who produced Tales of Vesperia, will be the games' director. Namco Bandai's Kenya Kobayashi will be producing the titles. Comment from Sakurai and Kobayashu are to follow soon - stay tuned to IGN for all the latest.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/22/namco-bandai-developing-next-smash-bros

So there's a new Super Smash Bros. game in development, and Namco Bandai is thegame's leading developer but, what does that mean? Listen to what Smash Bros. creator Masahiro Sakurai said about the upcoming game:
Currently, the prototype prepared by Namco Bandai Games and Namco Bandai Studios' special team looks pretty good, and it's working great. In order to take advantage of the fact that there will be versions for two different systems, and to maximize and offer fun new gameplay elements, the entire team is going to work hard together.

So, from the sound of it, Namco Bandai isn't only doing the heavy lifting, it's doing all the lifting. Sakurai, of course, is helming the project, but make no mistake, Namco Bandai is developing it. Namco's Masaya Kobayashi chimed in on who from Namco is working on the title:
In order to make Mr. Sakurai proud, we will take on this project with NAMCO BANDAI's best staff! Yoshito Higuchi, the producer and the director of the "Tales" series, Tetsuya Akatsuka, producer and director of "Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs.," the art director/sound director of the "SoulCalibur" series, the main development team staff from the "TEKKEN" series…and that's just for starters. All the top creators from NAMCO BANDAI are gathered here to create a never-before-seen dream team for this project. We will fully utilize our experience and knowledge in action/fighting game development, technical capability, and organizational strength, and we hereby promise you that we will develop the best and most powerful "Super Smash Bros." title ever! Don't miss it!

Arnell Long

This could go either way but I personally see it in a more positive light. Wouldn't mind seeing Naruto running with the clique, just hope they don't go overboard. Here's hoping by the end of this yr we can receive more in-depth details cause this is one of my "absolute" favorite game Series.

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
This could go either way but I personally see it in a more positive light. Wouldn't mind seeing Naruto running with the clique, just hope they don't go overboard. Here's hoping by the end of this yr we can receive more in-depth details cause this is one of my "absolute" favorite game Series.

Me too! Did you ever play competitively?

Arnell Long

Yep! Sure did Teeth, actually back in DOA Central we had a good amount of people who played it serious and one noticeable names was EscapingJail, BlackMamba, DrDogg, Xdestm etc "don't remember which Tournament they were in exactly since the TK site is constructed differently"...we had a few Tournaments and I was fortunate enough to get hold that 1st place. Here's hoping Namco will turn it into an even more competitive game.

I have faith lol!

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
I'm actually really glad to hear that haha. I'm an old ass man when it comes to Smash (been playing since '99 and 64 is still my favorite game in the series), so it's nice to find other people in the DOA community who play the game well. I'm pretty excited for this new Smash too. It actually might give me a reason to get a Wii U.

Arnell Long

Tell me about it bro, loved the original Smash Bros!
I remember when I first watched the commercial and was dumfounded to see Pikachu and Mario in the same game fighting it out.

I'll be getting a Wii U for the very reason of seeing Smash Bros in PS3/360 styled graphics. And with the sheer amount of talent working on different areas of the project, I can see this being the best in the series if handled properly.

Smash has been in Development since the completion of Icarus on the 3DS and has already showed a prototype for the game which is said to be pretty good so now I'm wondering when will they be showing it off to the public.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
The game director who made all the questionable decisions in brawl such as adding tripping because he didn't want the game played competitively, is still the game director and lead decision maker for the game play.

Arnell Long

The game director who made all the questionable decisions in brawl such as adding tripping because he didn't want the game played competitively, is still the game director and lead decision maker for the game play.

Lets hope with Namco's competitive expertise we can no longer have "invincible" water on the ground.

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor

This is true, but I'm still excited mainly because Smash games are always at the very least incredibly fun to play, even if they're not the most solid competitive fighters. Competitively speaking, I hated Brawl and had major issues with Melee, but I still had a blast playing the games with my roommates and friends and such. As long as the new game is fun to play, I'll be happy. I still have Smash 64 for all of my competitive needs haha.

MajesticBlue

Lars and Sophitia for the new Smash Bros! I can't tell you how happy it would make me to up3 some Mario. Make this happen!

d3v

The funny thing is that, not too long ago, Harada-san was quoted as saying that Smash isn't a fighter.

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
The funny thing is that, not too long ago, Harada-san was quoted as saying that Smash isn't a fighter.

I understand that mindset even though I don't agree with it. What I hate is when people make that argument and let fanboyism cloud their judgement. I once got into an argument with a dude who said that Smash is not a serious fighting game, but Power Stone is. I love me some Power Stone, but come on. That game's got as much depth as a kiddie pool.

RoboJoe

I really wonder how Namco will do with Smash. I would have preferred that they chose Sega instead. They did an excellent job with F-Zero GX.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD