Might DOA6 be PS4 exclusive?

UpSideDownGRUNT

Reading the article he never said DOA6 specifically, he said a new game. Which he's made/help make 2 since LR. Though they both PS4 exclusive

P2p1mbs

Exclusives for PS4 (The Order 1886, Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted 4...) tend to look a lot better than multiplatform titles that are held back by the Xbone.

The PS4K will likely be underutilized then. I'll probably just wait for that when it does get announced thought.

Nyte

I'm pretty amazed they actually talked about 6 already. o__O Damn though...I wished it was PS4 exclusive. Exclusives for PS4 (The Order 1886, Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted 4...) tend to look a lot better than multiplatform titles that are held back by the Xbone.
Well, multiplatform means more people can play it, which means more sales, so...

Tyaren

Standard Donor
The PS4K will likely be underutilized then. I'll probably just wait for that when it does get announced thought.

Honestly, the PS4 is already a powerhouse but so far pretty underchallenged. Only a hand full of games (like the ones I mentioned above) really tap into it's full potential. The most recent Uncharted for example is even prettier than anything we've seen on PC yet. Here, have a look at some of the in-game screens I took in this thread:

http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/the-uncharted-thread.6332/page-8

It looks gorgeous, it runs smoothly and the image quality is crystal clear.
It's the lack of optimization that lets 99% of multiplatform games on console look and perform so poorly. Developers can't invest too much time and money into that. If at least the PC version looks great for promotional purposes than that's good enough for them. This will even get worse with the release of PS4Neo, Xbone II, Nintendo NX and Virtual Reality platforms.

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
Honestly, the PS4 is already a powerhouse
I love you bro, I really do but I am going to have to call bullshit. The PS4/Xbone are actually a generation behind hence why we are getting a refresh on these systems. PS4 should have been out around 2010 but the economy took a shit. Uncharted looks that good because its a first party game and they have an astronomical budget to optimize for one hardware config. If they did the same for a core i7 and a 980ti it would look that much better.

As far as DOA goes I hope it doesn't go PS4 only. And I hope that they dont fuck the PC version which looks likely after DOAX3.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I love you bro, I really do but I am going to have to call bullshit. The PS4/Xbone are actually a generation behind hence why we are getting a refresh on these systems. PS4 should have been out around 2010 but the economy took a shit. Uncharted looks that good because its a first party game and they have an astronomical budget to optimize for one hardware config. If they did the same for a core i7 and a 980ti it would look that much better.

Modern gaming PCs are lot more powerful, yes. That still doesn't mean that the PS4 isn't powerful. It's powerful enough for exclusives like Uncharted 4 and the Upcoming Horizon: Zero Dawn and Detroit to look amazing.
Let's have a look at our beloved Street Fighter V... ;) It doesn't look that amazing to begin with but it looks particularly shitty on PS4. Is that because the PS4 is too weak to handle the game? No, absolutely not! It is because Capcom didn't properly optimize it on console due to time and cost restraints. Will there be prettier shadows on a PS4Neo? Probably, but only through brute force, when it actually should also be perfectly possible on the normal PS4.

I still put my hopes in a PS4 exclusive DOA6, no offense @ Xbone and PC owners. ;)

Last edited:

NightAntilli

If DOA6 is a PS4 exclusive, I'll drop the game. Period. Not getting a PS4 just for DOA.

As for the Xbox One holding the PS4 back, bullshit. We're not in the same times of X360 vs PS3 anymore, where they had a completely different hardware design. Porting was extremely difficult because the systems were completely different. Different CPU architecture, different GPU architecture, different memory system, different API. In fact, the X360 was significantly more powerful on the GPU side, and the PS3 significantly more powerful on the CPU side. The PS3 got more beautiful looking games because of two things. Art style from high budget and experienced 1st party studios, and secondly, Microsoft primarily relying on 3rd party studios that generally are not invested in really getting everything out of the hardware, especially not EA at that time. Microsoft mainly had Halo, which is extremely underrated graphically by the way. And obviously, porting either game from one to the other would cause problems, because the console's strengths were in completely different places. The PS3 would not be able to handle the Halo and Gears games, and the X360 would not be able to handle the Uncharted games.

On the Xbox One and PS4 side of things, they both practically use the same AMD APU architecture. The difference is in the amount of compute units and the RAM type, where the PS4 has 18 compared to the 12 of the Xbox One, and has GDDR5 compared to DDR3. Additionally, the Xbox One has its embedded RAM. The PS4 is therefore indeed more powerful on the GPU side. The Xbox One is slightly more powerful on the CPU side due to the slightly higher clock, but the Xbox One is a bit more complicated to program for due to the embedded RAM.
The amount of compute units and memory timings is pretty much the only main things that you need to take into account when porting. Scaling compute units is very easy, and tweaking code for embedded RAM for the Xbox is nowhere near the same issue as changing code from 1 core with 7 sub-cores to 3 full CPU cores... Or changing code from a unified shader pipeline to separate pixel and vertex shader pipelines...

Tyaren

Standard Donor
So to cut a long story short the PS4 is indeed overall more powerful than the XBone. ;) But who cares? The PS4 isn't that much more powerful anyway. And if the PS4 can do magic with games like Uncharted 4 and punch above it's weight, so can the Xbone with a talented developer, time, money and optimization. That's the crux! Multiplatform games don't get this optimization for one platform. Since I want DOA6 to look graphically the most polished (like DOA was in it's Xbox exclusive days ;)) I hope it will be an exclusive again. I own a PS4 and no Xbone, so guess for what exclusivity I would hope for...?

By the way, I bought an Xbox and a Xbox360 especially for DOA3 and DOA4 and the PS4 for DOA5LR. I wonder if I would feel forced to buy an Xbone if for some reason it would end up being an Xbox exclusive...?! o__O

Last edited:

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
So to cut a long story short the PS4 is indeed overall more powerful than the XBone. ;) But who cares? The PS4 isn't that much more powerful anyway. And if the PS4 can do magic with games like Uncharted 4 and punch above it's weight, so can the Xbone with a talented developer, time, money and optimization. That's the crux! Multiplatform games don't get this optimization for one platform. Since I want DOA6 to look graphically the most polished (like DOA was in it's Xbox exclusive days ;)) I hope it will be an exclusive again. I own a PS4 and no Xbone, so guess for what exclusivity I would hope for.

By the way, I bought an Xbox and a Xbox360 especially for DOA3 and DOA4 and the PS4 for DOA5LR. I wonder if I would feel forced to buy an Xbone if for some reason it would end up being an Xbox exclusive...?! o__O
...so you want Xbox One owners to miss out? Because that's the message your sending to everyone that's reading your comment ;)

Tyaren

Standard Donor
...so you want Xbox One owners to miss out? Because that's the message your sending to everyone that's reading your comment ;)

Lol, if you put it that way...yes...just so that I don't miss out.
63346911.jpg

NightAntilli

Well... I want the game to be on the Xbox also. I was glad it came to PC also, too bad they ruined it. I hope it comes on the next Nintendo as well.

Point is, I actually prefer a larger community rather than better graphics on my system. Would be even better if we could play across gaming networks, like Xbox Live vs PSN etc...

gamemaster14

What I wish they would do is Develop the game exclusively for PS4 (perhaps some time exclusiveness) and then later port it to other platforms watering it down as needed.

I personally hate when a game or port is watered down so all versions can look the same and therefore it looks bad so the weakest platform can run it. The greatest example I have of this is Tekken 6. It ran on Namco System 357 which is a first gen PS3 in the arcades but when ported the port was developed for Xbox 360, then ported to ps3 so both consoles had the same experience. I think it would have been much better if they ported the arcade perfect version to ps3 and then gave the 360 the watered down version instead of giving the ps3 a lesser version due to the others systems limits. I know Namco did it to save on costs so they only had to develop one console version but I just do not like this kind of practice and fear that whenever we have a weaker console in a generation, the stronger one will get weaker games because of this.

That is why it is good when games like Street Fighter V bypass the weaker Xbox One (atleast at launch) and go Ps4 Exclusive so their quality does not suffer. I could easily see a Super Street Fighter V release on Xbox One but they will have to scale it down at that point which is a ok by me.

Rifaz89

If the game will be console exclusive, I guess I have to go back watching people playing the game on youtube.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
That is why it is good when games like Street Fighter V bypass the weaker Xbox One (atleast at launch) and go Ps4 Exclusive so their quality does not suffer. I could easily see a Super Street Fighter V release on Xbox One but they will have to scale it down at that point which is a ok by me.

Only that Street Fighter V looks like shit on PS4:

24773020613_bea86cdcf5_o.png

What kind of shadows are these supposed to be in this day and age?

Also, it was a multiplatform title too. Contrary to what they made us believe they actually focused their work on the PC version and the PS4 got the unoptimized, rushed port.

gamemaster14

My personal view of this is, It's not really about being selfish but about getting the best game possible. Team Ninja has a great track record of squeezing everything they can out of a single console if that console is their sole focus. Making a game with a certain console in mind is always the best way to make a game best. Sure it can be ported later but if they do not have the compromise their vision to make it work on everything you end up with a better product in the end.

Capcom seams to not be optimizing their games much at all lately.

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
What I wish they would do is Develop the game exclusively for PC (perhaps some time exclusiveness) and then later port it to other platforms watering it down as needed.

Fixed. With the new GPU's coming out now they will completely eclipse consoles.

NightAntilli

As someone who has DOA5:LR on both the X360 and the Xbox One, the graphical jump from even the 360 to the One is not enough to say they look so different as to make one version superior to the other. I'd rather have intricate gameplay than beautiful graphics...

Lastly, leaving this here and calling it a day. Only the first two minutes are relevant.

Last edited:

Crext

Standard Donor
Well, if the SJWs win (dunno how the landscape would look years from now), then it might be Asia exclusive, which again would make it plausible that it's a Playstation exclusive. I doubt they'll reach that far, but we might get some censorship like we've seen in other games recently as a middle ground too. Another thing is that they might also try dodge the SJW scourge (who are believed to be mainly on xbox), by making it a Sony exclusive as well? Just speculations, and again, it all depends on how the landscape evolves.

As of now, the console exclusivity is true for most "arch-Japanese" games (with the pantie shots and all), that tend to be Playstation exclusive for some reason, but I have no idea if there is an actual connection. Until now I've just assumed it was because Sony is JPN, and most of the developers are JPN, but as recent times has shown there might be more topics on that table than we are aware about.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD