Microsoft renews Killer Instinct's trademark!

Game Over

http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2012/08/21/donnchadh-murphy-chats-about-rare/

Are there any Rare games you would like to see as HD remakes on Xbox Live Arcade?

Probably the same game every Rare fan wants to see and that’s KI3 (Killer Instinct 3). We all wanted to make KI3, but Microsoft [was] more interested in broadening their demographic than making another fighting game. So it never got made, I doubt it ever will.

1253885876_suicide.gif

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Making this game should have been one of the first priorities of Microsoft. There are a lot of people craving it, and would have been a first day purchase for them.

Gill Hustle

I think the problem with making a new KI would be what would be innovative about it.

I mean plus 99 hit combos belong to Marvel and most people probably think MK originated the Combo Breaker.

Not to pour water, but what CAN a new game offer?

Pupi18

I think the problem with making a new KI would be what would be innovative about it.

I mean plus 99 hit combos belong to Marvel and most people probably think MK originated the Combo Breaker.

Not to pour water, but what CAN a new game offer?

Full 3D movement with 99 hit combos and Combo Breakers and bring other Counter mechanics maybe?

d3v

Full 3D movement with 99 hit combos and Combo Breakers and bring other Counter mechanics maybe?
Meh to 3D. KI is a 2D fighter and should stay 2D.

That said, knowing MS, if they did make a new one, it would probably be Kinect powered or something where you'd have to wave your hands mindlessly to get an Ultra Combo.

R4712-VR88

They should atleast port the original KI arcade to XBLA.

Also Rare needs to give us a rightful sequel to Perfect Dark.

Game Over

They should atleast port the original KI arcade to XBLA.

Also Rare needs to give us a rightful sequel to Perfect Dark.

Perfect Dark should go to Crytek, who now employ the majority of the former Free Radical Design team, who were the majority of the RARE team that made GoldenEye 007 and left RARE halfway into the development of Perfect Dark.

Plus, Perfect Dark on an updated Crysis engine would be BEYOND SIIIIIIIIICK.

Relius Starkiller

Rare would f it up.

What is the last Rare sequel you really enjoyed?

Jetpac Refueled in 2007? Fact is that rare hasn't made a AAA game since StarFox Adventures. . .actually, they haven't made a AAA quality game since Perfect dark 12 years ago. There is also the question of how many of the original KI team are still employed with the company.

If Microsoft really wanted to make some money they would contract the work to Arc Systems but microsoft is more concerned with developing new IP's for the kinect that half the people I know have and that none of them play with anymore. But honestly, I'm less concerned with KI as I am with every other missed opportunity MS has had this generation.

1) They had their own AAA JRPG series in Lost Odyssey and they never followed up (In the wake of The FF13 debacle 2 1/2 years ago they should have been on the phone with Sakaguchi begging him for LO2 or Blue Dragon: Kinect)

2) They lost exclusivity to Mass Effect. (During the Xbox generation they were the only reason RPG fans gave your brand a second look and after they release what was, up to that point, their best RPG ever. . .you let EA buy them)

3) DOA5 on PS3 (They could have bought a limited exclusivity which would have ensured that they got the lions share of the buys - because who actually buys fighting games 1 year after its release?)

4) You lost Bungie and its next IP is multiplat (ME thing all over again. Sure, Bungie probably didn't want to make Halo anymore and thats fine - you should have given them the opportunity to fuck up and then kicked em to the curb. Now if their next IP is a block buster than you have to share in the profits with Sony and Nintendo.)

5) They nerfed the Kinect to save money.

And now there are rampant rumors that the new Xbox needs to always be connected to the internet and games are lock to 1 or 2 consoles. Ok, well now you'll only see Sony machines at LAN events. . .matter of fact, you'll probably end up seeing them in most living rooms too.

d3v

MS doesn't give a shit about fighting games. Sony on the other hand does, enough to pay for exclusives and, more importantly sponsor events - there's a reason why tournaments here like SEA Major are run on PS3 and not XBox.

On KI, if anything, they should let Reverge work on it, just because Mike Z is a big fan of the series. The dude even has a KI cab in his living room.

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
It's not really surprising. I would hope they would at least release a HD update of the first 2 games(like they did PD). It's not like the original people who made KI 1 and 2 are with Rare anymore anyways. They should at least release arcade updates of the other two games.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Saw this somewhere while I was at GVN. It is a bummer, certainly, but I'm with some of the other guys in saying I don't know what a new one would bring to the table. Obviously that's true of any new fighting game sequel, but I think those rose-tinted glasses are in full effect for this series. That and Rare doesn't have the chops for it anymore. I'd love to see some of their core franchises go to other dev houses; Game Over has the right idea with Perfect Dark.

xOmniCloudx

MS bought rare just to have them make lackluster games in series they used to do an awesome job with and then chose not to use them at all. Eh, one of the most pointless acquisitions. Although, a lot of the heads of Rare responsible for so many of their critically acclaimed titles had left before the acquisition so maybe that's why Nintendo agreed to sell them. They had to have known something was up otherwise I doubt they would have given them away without even caring given their former extremely good history together.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Microsoft bought them to make AAA titles like they had been doing. The decision was right, but the direction Microsoft dictated to them was wrong.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD