Location Test for DOA5, where should they be?

Raansu

Considering the majority of the good players are on the east coast...I'd say they should hold it in like NY or something.

Gill Hustle

east coast.

but if it does happen? itl be japan.

I'll see what kind of scene I can push in the future with 3.1 with the Tekken heads that have been showing up, hopefully they'll bite since they usually just stick to 3D fighters.

d3v

If they're serious about this, then they need to bring it to actual major fighting game events. At the very least, this would show that they're serious about making a fighter that can stand up to the competition by bringing it out there in the face of the competition. At the same time, if the game is good, getting in the hands of fighting game fans (even if they haven't played DOA seriously before) is a good chance to grow the community for the game - as I mentioned in the article, community is important if we want the game to succeed.

Raansu

If they're serious about this, then they need to bring it to actual major fighting game events. At the very least, this would show that they're serious about making a fighter that can stand up to the competition by bringing it out there in the face of the competition. At the same time, if the game is good, getting in the hands of fighting game fans (even if they haven't played DOA seriously before) is a good chance to grow the community for the game - as I mentioned in the article, community is important if we want the game to succeed.

Probably the only way I see this happening is if they come back to Dead or Alive in Dallas again next year...I don't see that happening though. Only reason they showed up this year was because it was the same week as E3 lol. Then again, TN could pull a 180 and just surprise everyone.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Indeed. I hope they will show that kind of enthusiasm, it's just really hard to gauge their internal reactions sometimes.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
multiple loketests?

yea id be down for that. Don't think they would, but hey, man can dream.

Gill Hustle

Oh Snap your that d3v?

A while back you upset me greatly, however in hindsight I realized the point you were trying to make, can laugh about it now, would like to apologize for my " instant nerd rage" and welcome you to FSD.

Tenren

^haha anyways SO long as they let the US test it Id travel to do so. Hell I'd go to Japan if I wasn't being stop by that 1 thing what was it-ah Japanese thats right lol

HokutoNoBen

When in doubt? Team Ninja could easily just follow the examples of Capcom and Namco.

EVO for the sake of letting the fighting game community get a whack at it. Then consider at least ONE (if not both) of the two major Comic-cons (San Diego or New York), so that you can get both fighting game player and more general audience to get a fair chance at the game.

Tenren

that is the issue. TN has been know not to do so with DOA. A lot of us wish they would do something more along thos lines. With DOA4 they even went as far to let VF players test it out instead of the actual community that plays it

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
You don't just get into Evo. There needs to be a healthy scene first and that won't happen without a solid game.

Berzerk!

That's not strictly true. At this point announcing a game for EVO guarantees added interest; look at Tatsunoko VS Capcom, a game that was dropped like a hot potato after its one EVO appearance. Mortal Kombat 9 had great growth and interest leading up to EVO appearances, but it was added to EVO before it had any majors behind it to prove it had a strong community, so you could say the EVO inclusion itself had an effect. A little bit of chicken and egg applies, though for the most part what you said is true.

For DOA to get in? Yeah, it would absolutely need to be solid because it has a negative perception to overcome, it won't be given the benefit of the doubt, like Capcom games and in the case of this year, MK got.

I fully expect SC5 to be at next EVO, despite the SC4 scene completely dying out and it not being played at majors since its EVO appearance.

That's not to say EVO wouldn't be interested in running DOA showcase on a prerelease version of the game, now that they are becoming more of a fighting convention. DOA won't be out in time to be a tournament game in 2012.

Tenren

not for 2012, Even if it did it would be side lined. I can see it being 2013 tho. With so many games coming out next year I really dont see it being run. SfvTekken is going to be huge. SCV and maybe even the new VF whatever version. Theirs even a new Blazblue coming out.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I fully expect SC5 to be at next EVO, despite the SC4 scene completely dying out and it not being played at majors since its EVO appearance.

SC4 has always been a featured game at our GVN and NEC events. This past weekend it had a 57 man tournament and an International Exhibition. Granted, it's not 100-man Evo requirement, but it's more than the DOA event (has ever) received.

Berzerk!

Oh for sure, it's a solid mid-tier game, our local community had good numbers until the key organiser stopped running it end of 2010. If someone drives it, people do turn up.

As more info is released about DOA5 during 2012, it should get easier to bring new players in at regular BYOC gatherings, but it would be a hard ask at big one-off events until after DOA5 is out.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
SC4 has always been a featured game at our GVN and NEC events. This past weekend it had a 57 man tournament and an International Exhibition. Granted, it's not 100-man Evo requirement, but it's more than the DOA event (has ever) received.

-A location test for Doa5 would be better suited for those events. Having it at D.I.D is also a good place to have it,

d3v

You don't just get into Evo. There needs to be a healthy scene first and that won't happen without a solid game.
This.

Before thinking about EVO, you need to make sure that the game at the very least, gets some time on local majors. That of course means building your local community to the point where the game can get into those majors. Once the game gets momentum from those, then you can think about EVO.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD