Learning To Use A Joystick

P1naatt1ke1tt0

Haha, I've seen this video before way back when I first got a stick. It seems the grip I've settled to, is called the "No homo". Yaikes!

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
I've been using the no homo grip too. However, there are still some "left hand" movements where I still can't get completely comfortable after 2 years of work. I think I want to change to the index finger wine glass and or fist of doom.

RoboJoe

I don't use any of those grips because they are all too restricting and uncomfortable for me. My preferred grip is similar to Monkey Grip but the palm is completely open. I don't wrap my fingers around the stick and instead push the stick with my palm, except when pressing directions such as 1,4 or 7, where I use my fingers or thumb to help push the stick in that direction, since using only my palm would be impossible in those situations.

David Gregg

Still very interested in getting an arcade stick and that vid makes me feel at least a little better with some of those grips that look like I'd have control. I would probably use the monkey grip but eventually would want to do the douchebag (looks too difficult though).

Also since I'm left handed would it make transitioning to a stick easier?

Last edited:

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
Still very interested in getting an arcade stick and that vid makes me feel at least a little better with some of those grips that look like I'd have control. I would probably use the monkey grip but eventually would want to do the douchebag (looks too difficult though).

Also since I'm left handed would it make transitioning to a stick easier?
Sounds like you'd have a leg up.

King Gampo

In my experience as a left handed gamer I find I have no problem with the joystick motions. Its that my right arm gets strained from hitting the buttons. Goes away after a week or two but still annoying.

Argentus

Meh. for 3d fighters I do way better with a controller. Especially DOA.

I'll stick to joysticks for 2d fighters though, because they tend to have way more arbitrary inputs.

But when I use a joystick, I use an open palm on the sides of the stick. Like to sidestep left I'll flip my entire hand over to the right of the joystick and tap it with the back of my hand. Right side step, I keep my palm upright (like a karate chop I guess) and I tap the joystick. To crouch I just put my open palm on the top and pull it down, etc.

I rarely ever actually grip the joystick. When I do, it's just with the pointer and flipper fingers.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
I switched to the talon grip last night. I think i like the idea of using my finger tips and wrist to enter my movements rather than getting my arm into it. I no longer feel uncomfortable putting in any of my inputs. Guess I've been doing it wrong for over a year.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
-I am so happy to have great teachers from the VF community such as Rodnuts, throwmasta etc. to help me get used to a stick. Lol, it also forces you to learn when the NYC VF community play on sticks only. It was intimidating and challenging at 1st, but once you get the hang of it, you realize that the Arcade 3 button set up is more streamlined, and you have superior buffering capabilities than on a controller.

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
Whats interesting is that I am about to transition back to pad after using a stick since '06. I'm not buying a new batch of sticks for the next gen consoles.

-I am so happy to have great teachers from the VF community such as Rodnuts, throwmasta etc. to help me get used to a stick. Lol, it also forces you to learn when the NYC VF community play on sticks only. It was intimidating and challenging at 1st, but once you get the hang of it, you realize that the Arcade 3 button set up is more streamlined, and you have superior buffering capabilities than on a controller.

That is retarded. Do they just kick you out if you don't want to use a stick? The result is all that matters, the tools you use should not be an issue.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Goarmagon said:
Whats interesting is that I am about to transition back to pad after using a stick since '06. I'm not buying a new batch of sticks for the next gen consoles.

That is retarded. Do they just kick you out if you don't want to use a stick? The result is all that matters, the tools you use should not be an issue.

-Lol, no it is not like that. VF is an arcade fighter. The community is very big on staying pure and true to the arcade! I totally respect that. It teaches you dicipline, and how to properly play VF. You can technically use a pad, but you will never get the most out of the game using it. The transition to DOA was totally flawless, and Like it's VF cousin, there are techniques you can excute with an arcade stick that you cannot with a pad! Team Ninja going back to its 3 button layout for DOA5's arcade release is a good indication for the need of precision!

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I have the Fighting Edge Hori (The one that lights up on the sides.)

I'm trying to learn on how to use the stick since I mostly play on pad and controller. This stick is super sensitive and responsive like crazy, and since this is my first arcade stick....I'm having the troubles lol. It's a bit sad to not use it since I got it as a gift. It's collecting dust and I am really thinking of learning it.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD