Community Learning from the Japanese Players

We've heard a lot of things about Japanese players in the community without really playing them, and the stuff said has been somewhat of a mixed bag. Recently a player from the fighting game community took a trip to Japan to see for himself, and he came back with constructive things to say.

The player learned that Japanese players are patient, and enjoy helping one another with their game. It becomes a more social activity instead of a creepy solo performance of practicing tech and withholding it for yourself in your bedroom.

"When I spent time [in Japan], they told me about how they train. It's very different from rest of world. I think that's why they have an advantage. They train (hundreds of fights), take a break/eat, then go at it again. And help each other."

A lot of people comment on the size of tournaments in the states for our game, and some people say it's because Dead or Alive is not the most popular fighting game, but the real case behind this could be a lack of effort from the community itself. With a million digital F2P, and a million physical copies out there, that doesn't really explain a thirty man tournament at a major.

Emperor Cow, Sweet Revenge and Hajin are some good examples of how the community should be doing things:

1. International Play - We're starting to see more of this, and this is great for community growth.
2. Guides, Tech Sharing - It doesn't always hurt to share what you know if you want the community to grow. A more knowledgeable community can equal a happier, and larger community.

I ask the community this: What do you want for the DOA community? How have you helped? How much does community actually even mean to you?

Perhaps we can learn a great deal from the players overseas, and while I think we as a community are doing better than we ever have; I believe now is the time to step it up a notch and go into beast mode.

Last edited:
You don't have to be a great player/teacher (more knowledge helps of course), you just have to be willing the play the game in public, like Hajin said. If you have 2 people in your scene, you can build it. If you are one person, find one other person who is willing to go to a gaming meet and play the game.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD