Language Options Reset

Katsu Hayami

Staff member
Administrator
For some reason my language options reset back to English every time I turn the game on, I change everything to Japanese and when I back out of options I see it say "Saving" at the bottom right. I turn it off come back later and I see it reset back to English. Is it just my PS3 having save problems or is it the game itself? I personally can't deal with the English voices so its a hassle changing it to Japanese every time lol.

Doug Nguyen

Were all having that problem. Its really annoying turning on the game, playing a game then hearing the english voices. I cant stand the english voices so i always have to quit and change it back.

synce

lol Yeah I had to play the game on mute on once because I didn't feel like quitting the lobby I was in

Chaos

Yup, Its quite annoying everytime it happens. I hope TN fix this damn bug because its really starting to get on my nerves. :mad:

Genesis

I love how it makes Sarah seem terribly out of place. She's been attending tournaments with Japanese-speaking folk for years, now, and even when completely surrounded by Japanese speaking fighters, she refuses to speak in anything but her native tongue.

TakedaZX

EMBRACE THE ENGLISH.
Lmao, not gunna like some of the voices are ok. Like Hayate's, and even Zack's. But I do like Eliot's Japanese voice better, especially when I'm throwing out Electrick Wind Hook Palms. The "EYYAHH, EYYAHH, EYYAHH", is very satisfying.

REALDEMO

Standard Donor
Peter Garza is fucking up! As the overseas producer for Team NINJA, he should've caught this one off the bat. Not to mention all his releases with TN (he started with DOAD) all had some kind of flaw-- be it typos, horrible mistranslations (think Funimation in it's early DBZ days), or the exclusion of a Japanese voice option ENTIRELY in a Ninja Gaiden game (NGSP for western territories). No Japanese option for a game with Japanese-lore? Doesn't make sense. Garza, I implore you to listen to input from existing Team NINJA fans living overseas. TN is a Japanese studio who initially only had a Japanese dub in their early games; so naturally, there is a huge, existing demographic for original tongue.

I can understand the mistranslations (hey, you gotta cater to the 14 year old kids with a witty Hayabusa, right?), but seeing small errors such as typos makes the game look half-assed in terms of localization, and this instance with the language setting just makes it worse.

Chaos

Another thing thats fucked up about DOA5 is when you fight against the cpu they can grab you anytime they feel like it I mean ANYTIME.
I've never had this problem in previous series and I wish TN would fix it but that will never happen.
Oh well, Might as well find a way to dodge them.

HiiDOOM

I love how it makes Sarah seem terribly out of place. She's been attending tournaments with Japanese-speaking folk for years, now, and even when completely surrounded by Japanese speaking fighters, she refuses to speak in anything but her native tongue.

Sarah be rollin like a Boss, that's all. Plus doesn't she have like amnesia every other VF, maybe she's always on the cusp of speaking their tongue but then story mode goes and bonks her on the head.

The english voices are surprisingly not as awful as I first thought. There are even some mildly good VA's among the cast if you give them a chance. Especially Jan Lee. Now that his japanese VA is different, I actually think his english VA does the better job. Which is odd to say, but the 'watahhs' just seem to have more oomph by that actor.

I also found Brad, Eliot, Rig, Christie, Hayate, Kasumi, and Bass to all be rather respectable. Holly crap is Helena hard to listen to tho, I'd consider the english voices if I could just switch over her voice to japanese. Ayane, Lei-Fang, Tina, and Hitomi are all a bit grating on english as well.

Extra

Helena's voice actress voiced Aigis from Persona. <3

Most of those voice actors are really good. Both Christie and Rig voiced in Nier as Kaine and Grimoire Weiss respectively, which if any of you guys played the game should know how fantastic they were.
Hayate and Hayabusa are both voiced by veterans too.

bingsoo

I had to force myself to deal with Ayane's voice. It's bearable for the most part, except for the "Don't make me laugh" line. That one is just bad. Pretty much everyone seems okay except for Ayane and Helena.

But Ayane's English voices have always been...not right.. even in the Ninja Gaiden games.

Ghost Cobra

I tested this on PS3 was annoying me too.
DOA5 reads what language your system is set and boots up under that setting always.
I changed my PS3 system language to Japanese now it boots up with Jp voices on default.

Martin

I frickin' LOVE Helena's English voice. Y'all some haters.

As a long time fan of Helena, I have to say her voice is unbearable and makes me want to stick pins in my ears. (not that dramatic, obviously but you get the idea.) Just cause she's French doesn't mean she has to talk that thickly, it doesn't fit her character, and makes me want to punch her.

HiiDOOM

Just cause she's French doesn't mean she has to talk that thickly, it doesn't fit her character, and makes me want to punch her.

Agreed. I can appreciate the effort in respecting the characters backgrounds by giving them an accent. But Helena sounds borderline ridiculous most of the time. The same for Tina as well. Interestingly, the asian characters can speak perfect english without a lick of an accent. They must be well travelled ninjas.

IceMage95

Personally, I do like the effort put into Helena's English voice in cutscenes. During gameplay, her voice sounds like crap!

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD