Is this really a good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Alpha Male

Call me a silent observer.

I don't quite understand the logic of starting a competing website in a community for a game as small as ours. DOAC has, maybe, 30 regular contributors across all talking points and even at the sites apex back in late 2007 there were only 40 to 50 regulars.

If the point of this forum is to recapture the faces that were lost then you shouldn't allocate too much time to this project. Unless of course the plan is to organize (Emphasis on that last word) more big tournaments or get about 250,000 signatures begging tecmo for DOA5 or, hell, DOA4 Sigma on PS3. The latter isn't gonna happen but the former, maybe.

I'm not trying to be pessimistic here or holier than thou, what I'm saying is that if you want this to succeed I hope you guys have a better idea than "This is the site for the REAL players" because you can ask PL and XDest how well that worked out.

And I'd be an ass if I didn't at least pop off a few ideas to differentiate yourselves.

* Less filtering - I think that 4 years after the release of DOA4 most of us are over the age of 18. So if you're going to present this as a more mature version of DOA, pull the stick out of your ass and let your members be as profane as they mother fucking want.

* DOA is DOA - DOAU is dead and 3.1 isn't as accessible as 4 so focus on your energy on the new shit and beyond.

* Podcast - Come on. VP and Sorwah, you're both intelligent, well spoken guys, do a weekly podcast. Hell, try to convince me to give a fuck about 3.1.

* Flame board - raw and uncut. Its 2010, we should be able to call each other faggots and insult peoples loved ones without fear of a red card.

* Love - Ya know, like the kind Sorwah and VP share between each other. That hot, steamy, ebony on ivory, hairy on hairy, two dudes kissin at a bar-b-q kinda love.

Seriously, I do hope this works out for you guys because I'd love another opportunity to attend a REAL Doa tournament.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Your comments have been noted.

Understand that this isn't a site being made just to down another site or community.

But hey, if this site turns out great with a community that follows suit, I'm all for that as well.

The Alpha Male

Ok, constructive criticism time, the rationale for starting this site was not so much to enrich the community but more to run DOAC the way you want.

If the focus is having fun with like minded people than this site is a non-starter. DOAC is about people who like to play DOA, youtube videos and games in general (and dumbass lady gaga songs). So what is different about FSD? Why should I log in here everyday? What am I going to get here that I can't get at DOAC? What will you post that hasn't already been posted 1000 times?

A new tier list from PL maybe? I've got a legit 13 of those cataloged from 06 to 08.

Your goal has to either be to do everything and more or something completely different. . . .or you can keep doing what you're doing now.

If you're stuck on this path then, when you see him, tell my man T-Rex I miss him.

JamoDOA

It's a DOA site without the excess. No threads about Lady Gaga, this girl getting abused, the next bill being passed it's all nothing but hardcore DOA talk. Besides why shouldn't there be another site? Other fighting game communities have several sites. It's all part of the growth even though we're small and jittery.

The Alpha Male

Yeah there are several sites for other fighters but if you take a really, really hard look at the situation Dead or Alive, as a series, is very close to the bottom of the ladder and it really shouldn't be.

Jamo, look at this site and look at DOAC then tell me what can I do here that I can't do there? Yeah, people are posting about Lady Gaga and the oil disaster over there but do you think by taking away the opportunity to talk about those things not related to DOA that people would be more inclined to focus on the mechanics of the game?

DOA4 is 3 1/2 years old, there is nothing more that can be said about it other than its a great fighter. Same for DOA3.1, 3, U, +, online, whatever. And I'm going to put you on blast here Sorwah, before you edited your post you said that one of the reasons you and VP started this was to run a site your way. Why is this a better solution than focusing on the parts of DOAC that you had influence over?

From what I see, all that's been accomplished is that DOAC now has two less administrators. You guys are still posting over there and from checking the boards all the info you're posting here is just information already posted over there. And say VP and Sorwah just stop posting altogether, well then DOAC loses two members, this site goes nowhere because its just a striped down version of central and the two of them ultimately lose complete interest in DOA.

Time is precious and I, as well as many other people, feel this is a waste of time (as evidenced by the number of people with 0 posts.). Just start a podcast guys. You'd be able to deliver the information that you want in a way that people haven't really experienced it before. The +Cast sucked and so did that Julius and Jakob shit. A DOA forum has already been done right, do something that hasn't.

Peace and Afro grease.

The Alpha Male

The best idea that I've seen on here so far is the tournaments won and tournaments joined and thats something that they could have tried to implement on DOAC.

The HuBBs

One of the reasons was because they weren't allowed to implements features to the site that they felt would improve it. It was very restrictive what they were allowed to do. Trust me when i say that the tournament feature isn't the only thing coming for this site.

Berzerk!

I think that there is a lot to be said for "setting the tone".

This is so far a very focused strategy site, and I think that's a great basis for getting DOA the respect it deserves. In fact, as this site develops I'd be interested in seeing (or writing myself) an article on why DOA is actually a very solid, balanced, tournament proven fighting game.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
DOAC and FSD are two separate Dead or Alive sites. What the community wants to do with them isn't really my call, I can only provide the empty canvas. People seem to be thinking that I and VP created this site because we felt like creating a "more hardcore" doa site where casual chatter is not allowed, and I can understand where the confusion is coming from. Part of it I'm sure came from the previous players' reasons for their attempts at starting their own sites. The reason for creating another DOA site came about because I felt DOAC's design didn't fit my vision of what I wanted from a site, and trying to clean up its site (Not saying that I hadn't already tried it) didn't pan out. What DOAC wants to do from here is not my call anymore.

Yes, Virtuapai and myself would love for this site to provide the information and strategies on how to play the Dead or Alive series to those who weren't able to find such information before. However, we would also love to see a community that stands up for itself without shooting itself in the foot, welcomes new players to itself, and supports its own game - even through the rough times. Is it there yet? I personally don't think so, but it doesn't mean it can't reach that level. My goal with this site is not to hate on another site or community, but to just provide a forum for those who want to discuss DOA with other fans of DOA. Does another site already claim that spot? Yeah, other sites do exist. What the community does with them is not my problem. I'll be footing the bill on this one as long as people want to talk about DOA.

Oh, and lastly, age of a videogame does not give it less reason to be competitively played. As long as there are people willing to put down on the game, it will be played and information shared. Two quick examples: (1) Super Street Fighter II Turbo is still getting players nearly twenty years after its release in Japan; (2) Melty Blood has for years (older than DOA4) been played through its PC audience and recently the community has really been supporting the game and gathering new players to a point where they're now in the Evolution Tournament. Nowhere am I saying it's going to be an easy road to travel down, but it's certainly not impossible. Afterall, it's all up to the community at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD