How do you prefer to block?

indieanimator

OK, thanks for feedback so far. Very basic blocking question: do people hold H or back on the control?)
I usually use the H because I sometimes score a mid hold when I press back. But I'm much more used to holding back to block from other games. After blocking attacks, I should know which snake-style attacks are held by :4::h: vs. :1::h: Going into Christie's command training will tell me that I guess.

Bushido

OK, thanks for feedback so far. Very basic blocking question: do people hold H or back on the control?)
I usually use the H because I sometimes score a mid hold when I press back. But I'm much more used to holding back to block from other games. After blocking attacks, I should know which snake-style attacks are held by :4::h: vs. :1::h: Going into Christie's command training will tell me that I guess.
I use H for blocking. I'm not used to 2Ds so I don't go back to block.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I use :h:.

I do not know if this is true, but I personally don't use :4_: because I thought it takes a couple frames to go from "Backstepping" to "Blocking". Getting caught in a backstep awards counter blow damage to the attacker. So it's not a risk I prefer to take. However I have not verified if that transition occurs or not.

RoboJoe

I use both, but mostly :4_:. I play a parry character, so if I want to crouch dash fuzzy guard, I can't use :h: because it will cause me to do an unintentional parry. Same goes for cancelling forward dash into block due to mid kick counter. Also, I use :4_: when stagger escaping into block for the same reasons. Outside of these situations, I alternate which I use, leaning towards :4_:.

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
I primarily block standing attacks with :4: and then hold :h: if it's a string (Bad habit when playing Virtua Fighter). Blocking low I go with :2::h:. This is probably the only 3D fighter I play where I go by that kind of blocking.

Brute

Standard Donor
Little late to the party here, so I apologize for that. But personally, I use :h:, and most everyone I know does so as well.

I know a few people who hold :4_:, but they all report having immense difficulty blocking things that I and most :h: users do not. In my experience trying to use :4_: I have been struck by attacks that in every sense should have been blocked.

Do what you're comfortable with, but if possible, I would recommend getting comfortable using :h:.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
It depends on the situation and what I react to at the time. Since I've played Tekken and a variety of 2D figthers considerably more than DOA back then (I mainly play DOA these days, but still enjoy some of the modern 2D and anime fighters), I'm used to using :4_: to block. However, since I have expanded into VF, DOA, and SC territory, I have gotten used to using the guard button in each game, which in this game is :h:. I do like having the prospect of having a guard button in 3D fighters, because it makes you think on your feet and makes defense very important.

Kuga

In cqc i use H to block for simple reason - i can counterattack in tight frame situations instantly by executing desired move while still holding H button. That way i can do instant move from blocking and while still holding H i return to block in case my move was blocked. No lost frames this way. Its like neutral autoblock if you look at it some way.

Jaguar360

I hold back, but I wish that I was accustomed to holding H instead because sometimes my control stick derps and I hold in the wrong direction. H might also make it a bit easier to block out of stun and such.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I use :h:.

I do not know if this is true, but I personally don't use :4_: because I thought it takes a couple frames to go from "Backstepping" to "Blocking". Getting caught in a backstep awards counter blow damage to the attacker. So it's not a risk I prefer to take. However I have not verified if that transition occurs or not.
-Yes. Pressing :h: is instant while doing :4_: takes like an actual frame to go from neutral to block. I actually use both. I use :h: when im up in your face and :4_: when at a distance and I wish to buffer a back dash or another movement.

KING JAIMY

I use :4_: and :1_: to block and rarely use :h:. IMO that makes the switching for standing block to crouching block - and vice versa - easier.

RhythmikDesigns

So I have a couple questions:

1. Is :1: faster than :2::h: frame-wise?

2. For those who use :h:, to crouch block from standing are you using :2::h: (which takes a few frames, can't remember the exact amount though) or are you switching from :h: to :2: for the instant down block.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD