DOA5LR Hayashi talks with Famitsu about the Soft-Skin Engine

Kronin

Who created the outfits, males or females, don't have so much importance IMO becuase in the end this is again part of their work and not a representation of what they wish or want see (of course the two things can coincide, but hardly when the work is part of a teamwork that divides the tasks, and everything falls under commercials policies). The fact is that to some people is asked to create sexy outfits for the girls of the roster and they did it because this is what they were called to do.

More this argument behind the authors assumes even less importance when you think that the actual number of outfits to take in consideration is much lower than the totality, and paradoxically exclude many sexy ones:
  • All the outfits from previous games should be excluded because not sure if designed from the same people. And even in that case, we could assume that the policy behind the kind of fanservice to expose in the old games was different.
  • The majority of sexy outfits in DoA5/5U are given from the fetish packs, just the outfits that have a less work of design behind: the outfits are to answer to a determined theme and just for doing it uses elements/characteristics standard for this kind of outfits (french maid outfit, police woman with shirt knotted, etc...). So not original design but reprise of outfits existing in the collective imagination.
If we should judge the work of the DoA5 series designers I believe that would be correct to do it on the original outfits of the game (so overall the ones included at the lauch of DoA5/5U and others as for example some male DoA5DLC outfits, the pop idols pack (in a certain degree), the schoolgirls pack, the original Halloween outfits from TN, the sport pack, the never seen before swimsuits* ...) + the choice made about the Fans designs selected and the changes made on them (that often are more the result of technical problems).

So in the end what I want say is that to state that many DoA5 outfits were created from female designers, IMO is far from meaning that the kind - or at least the majority - of girls' outfits fanservice in the game was elaborated from female designers.

*However I know that many DoAX2 swimsuits were created from female designers: surely in that game the creativity and the merit behind the sexy outfits is definitely bigger for the authors compared to DoA5 - for the reasons that I mentioned so far - but again one of the purposes of that game was the sexiness just as many DLC of DoA5.

Last edited:

His Reverence

Papa Reverence, the Ayane Enthusiast.
Premium Donor
*cough* :2:

Art Director: Yutaka Saito (male)
Character Art Leads: Hirohisa Kaneko (male), Haruhiko Shikata (male)

Now, Hayashi did say that some of the women-designed outfits surprised even some of the male staff. But without mor. details, I wouldn't quite take a victory lap.

...because women don't ever want to be sexy, right? Let's not assume that women are pure little angels compared to us wicked men.

...but that conversation is neither here nor there, and it will never end.

What we can all agree with is that Hayashi needs to stop talking.

That said, I've always had a sour taste in my mouth after Ayane's face in NGSigma.

werewolfgold

...because women don't ever want to be sexy, right? Let's not assume that women are pure little angels compared to us wicked men.
Not what I was implying. There are plenty of options on the table, including a male superior making a female subordinate tone some things down for all we know. I only meant that "Look! Women designed the outfits! YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID!" is not actually a home run because it doesn't take everything into account and all of the information isn't there.

Also, what Kronin just said about the actual artists' wants not even mattering sometimes.

His Reverence

Premium Donor
Not what I was implying. There are plenty of options on the table, including a male superior making a female subordinate tone some things down for all we know. I only meant that "Look! Women designed the outfits! YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID!" is not actually a home run because it doesn't take everything into account and all of the information isn't there.

Also, what Kronin just said about the actual artists' wants not even mattering sometimes.

Regardless of who is working under who, we are all making many assumptions.
...& you all know what they say about people who assume.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I'm interested in knowing what makes this so amazing as Hayashi likes us to believe. Shaders atop shaders and cool sbadow mapping doesn't convince me. Needs more info to make it look unique because this just seems like an extension of their existing Doa5 framework.

Any chance we could have a decent translations? This one actually makes no sense to me.

mpgeist

Standard Donor
Ah the old "women designed this so it's okay if it shows skin" excuse... I've heard it used for Bayonetta and bikini ZSS. But they neglect to say the art director is usually male, and the ultimate voice of what goes into the game.

Don't get me wrong I have no problem with skin showing, it's just a lame excuse.
I agree, just own your decisions. I would be game for a new DOAX, hopefully with fun mechanics to go along with the eye candy.

Number 13

Just throwing this out there: Female game developers/artists can be just as lewd minded if not even more so then males. Kinuko the lead animator of Skullgirls has an interesting [one way to describe it] art catalogue to say the least.

Mizuno Naoko is the creator of the Hyper Dimension Neptunia [lewd JRPG series with several spin off games and anime] videogame series where a fighting game adaption may happen in the future since that is one of her dreams.

Whether your a superior or subordinate it doesn't dictate your own personal tastes. Yes it is possible the female DoA artists were simply following the higher ups demands, but it is just as possible those female artists actually enjoyed designing those outfits and such.

Anyway about this article, I'm not the least bit surprised ["We researched all kinds of breast physics".] and understand why this wouldn't be front page in a competive fighting game website.

Last edited:
Hes telling fans to ask again? Intresting DOAX3 requests flooded Team Ninjas Twitter 2013-2014 Hayashi is quite the strange one. As long as NG4 releases im good.

Mayor-Of-Mustard

tbh I wouldn't buy it, but I'd be interested on how the series turns out xD
Wonder if the guys will make it...
probably in like DOAX6 or something. We got a long wait xD

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
I honestly don't notice much of a difference. Are the boobs supposed to look jigglier?
The breasts seem to look more realistic with the soft engine, imo. I can definitely tell a difference, especially since that's the Natural breast motion setting. In the last gen versions, the breasts in Natural looked like they barely moved at all, even in more looser outfits.

Xhominid The Demon Within

The breasts seem to look more realistic with the soft engine, imo. I can definitely tell a difference, especially since that's the Natural breast motion setting. In the last gen versions, the breasts in Natural looked like they barely moved at all, even in more looser outfits.

This. It's one of the biggest reasons why I never used Natural at all once I noticed how immobile Natural is to the point where I kept it on DOA permanently.

His Reverence

Premium Donor
I honestly don't notice much of a difference. Are the boobs supposed to look jigglier?
Not jigglier, just more realistic. The boobs of OMG mode are just water baloons. While some boobs are like that, most certainly arent.

Also, @Number 13 's point was, well, on point. Women are human, too, and they are sexual creatures as well as men. To consider them otherwise is...quite dehumanizing.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD