Halloween Designer Challenge 2015

Candy Dragon

@Kodachi it's really cute, but I think the Jean shorts are a bit out of place. The top half looks quite traditional, the bottom half really contradicts it. Maybe something more distinguished that you could add some details or pattern too? Just a suggestion. It is really cute ^_^

LaBaguette

Here's my entry. Oddly enough I made a costume for Phase 4 and not Mila (although I'll probably do one later). I really like casual clothing in fighting games, DOA needs more of them, and Phase 4 definitely needs some. So, this is Phase 4's casual October wear, when she's not wearing a full costume for a Halloween party. I'm a bit disppointed by my coloured pencils I couldn't get a good orange for the Pumpkin Tee nor a way way way darker blue for the jeans.
phase410.jpg

Tyaren

Standard Donor
ayanetnuk-jpg.11089

how can i improve this?

I'd ditch the headband. With the ears, the leaf, the headband and hat it's imho a bit too busy. I'd also make the raccoon tail a little bigger/thicker and give the jacket some kind of print. I would also make the jacket a little bit longer. Probably to the mid of her thighs, as that would improve the overall proportions...but I guess, you made it short on purpose, so that there's a better view of her ass and thus overall better winning chances. ;)

I really like that costume by the way. I think, especially Team Ninja would like it! :)

It is DONE !!! BEHOLD THE GLORY !
CEjLAMQUgAAj1yJ.png:large

There will still be an Alice in Wonderland Marie and Eliot though, right? :/

Kronin

If I have time I would like to revisit the dragon knight outfit and submit it again: I would love send again something for Ein and I continue to believe that the design has a nice potential (at least in the right hands able to make a great balance between imagination and amount of details). Btw there are already other good dragon theme entries in the contest and I would dislike to get too much DLC outfits related to the same concept in favor of a more variety... and so far my design is surely the less worthy to enter xD

Of course a different case is if we talk about a family of designs made on purpose, just like the Alice in Wonderland overmentioned outfits (and this is a pretty nice idea for sending more designs, overall if they include outfits singularly different between them and that involve tag team partners =) )

Probably to the mid of her thighs, as that would improve the overall proportions...but I guess, you made it short on purpose, so that there's a better view of her ass and thus overall better winning chances. ;)

I really like that costume by the way. I think, especially Team Ninja would like it! :)

Tyaren seems that the Team NINJA will be the only judge this time and I think that it's clear that in the previous Halloween contest the ladies got sexy DLC outfits but anyway got discarded the more sexy ones from the winning pool. So this time I don't think that to make necessarily a super fanservice outfit (that btw it's not the case of @Kodachi) can give better chances to win the competition, so even less about becoming DLC.

Last edited:

Kronin

Really, did they say this? o__O But then, where's all the fun and commotion (and promotion) of a public vote?

Read what I wrote here, it's long but at least you can realize exactly the source and the degree of speculation in the reasons behind this choice (at least according to my pov):
http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/halloween-designer-challenge-2015.5651/page-6#post-260419

About the fun, after all the complaints received in both the contests from the fans, in the end I think that this isn't exactly the definition of 'fun' xD Much better to use a not democratic system but that at least can limit the eventual complaints of the people to "Team NINJA has no taste" rather than argue about the totality of the system behind it. And by the way this is exactly what is always happened for the past games when there wasn't any official competition addressed to the fans but again fan designs were selected for becoming part of the next DoA game.

About the promotion, honestly I never seen these contests as a way to make more popular DoA in the general videogame community, rather just something made for the fans and to the fans. I think that in the optics of KT, for achieving the first point there are more reasons to promote the future bikini pack rather than a similar design challenge (where partecipate only who has already an interest and a preference for the DoA series).

Kronin

Here's a WIP of Marie Rose in a paranormal detective outfit. Idea came from one of my old OCs, who is also a detective. Not sure if I should continue though...

marieeh.jpg

The design is definitely nice, but maybe could it miss something that make appear it without doubts a detective outfit (safe the hat)? Or am I doing a giant mistake (and it's pretty possible because I can't say to know the clichè elements of this matter)?

But in the end it's also true that, at least according to google, the female detective outfit for excellence is what Kokoro received (even if more sexy than the usual xD), so it's necessary to make changes if you want also make appear it an original and different creation from the usual.

However imo it's a cute idea for a themed costume on Marie Rose, personally I can easily imagine the character in game wearing something similar ;)

PS: Again, I really like your style, is one of these that make me wish to see an entire comic story made from the author. Not sure about how much they are worthy of but you have my congratulations, I would love being able to draw in this way!

Last edited:

Kodachi

Standard Donor
I'd ditch the headband. With the ears, the leaf, the headband and hat it's imho a bit too busy. I'd also make the raccoon tail a little bigger/thicker and give the jacket some kind of print. I would also make the jacket a little bit longer. Probably to the mid of her thighs, as that would improve the overall proportions...but I guess, you made it short on purpose, so that there's a better view of her ass and thus overall better winning chances. ;)

Thank you LOL i made the jacket short so it wouldnt clip with the tail!!

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Read what I wrote here, it's long but at least you can realize exactly the source and the degree of speculation in the reasons behind this choice (at least according to my pov):
http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/halloween-designer-challenge-2015.5651/page-6#post-260419

About the fun, after all the complaints received in both the contests from the fans, in the end I think that this isn't exactly the definition of 'fun' xD Much better to use a not democratic system but that at least can limit the eventual complaints of the people to "Team NINJA has no taste" rather than argue about the totality of the system behind it. And by the way this is exactly what is always happened for the past games when there wasn't any official competition addressed to the fans but again fan designs were selected for becoming part of the next DoA game.

About the promotion, honestly I never seen these contests as a way to make more popular DoA in the general videogame community, rather just something made for the fans and to the fans. I think that in the optics of KT, for achieving the first point there are more reasons to promote the future bikini pack rather than a similar design challenge (where partecipate only who has already an interest and a preference for the DoA series).

Oh, I see... That would actually be great! :D I hope, Team Ninja chooses well... Or there will be again a huge commotion. You can basically never make it right, lol. XD

As someone, who studied marketing, I can tell you, that these contests are exactly there for promotion. It's called "Crowdsourcing" and "Community Engagement" and with the steady rise of social media it's gotten more and more popular among companies. But it's less to promote DOA as a whole, but to promote their Facebook, Twitter and official game pages, because visits/likes/fans do count after all, and of course to get a picture, of what the community actually wants in regards to costumes.

I also found the Alice in Wonderland designs:
CEfh2_cUIAEkP5B.jpg:large

CEfiIi9UMAARKZF.jpg:large

CEfjjhoVIAETFZ3.jpg:large

Kronin

Oh, I see... That would actually be great! :D I hope, Team Ninja chooses well... Or there will be again a huge commotion. You can basically never make it right, lol. XD

As Plato said "I don't know a fail-proof path for the success but I know one for the sure unsuccess: to want satisfy everyone", and this just because it's impossible having to do with the subjectivity of the men. There are always complaints whatever you do, the important thing is try to limit them for the most possible.

As someone, who studied marketing, I can tell you, that these contests are exactly there for promotion. It's called "Crowdsourcing" and "Community Engagement" and with the steady rise of social media it's gotten more and more popular among companies. But it's less to promote DOA as a whole, but to promote their Facebook, Twitter and official game pages, because visits/likes/fans do count after all, and of course to get a picture, of what the community actually wants in regards to costumes.

Well, considered under this pov then I think that it's possible if the focus is actually on the social networks' pages rather than on the effective product (however if this is true, you have also to consider that they implemented the submission mail sistem just for allowing a bigger partecipation of the Japanese fans rather than the promotion in itself).

I also found the Alice in Wonderland designs:
CEfh2_cUIAEkP5B.jpg:large

CEfiIi9UMAARKZF.jpg:large

CEfjjhoVIAETFZ3.jpg:large

You forgot Brad =)

CEfn62oUkAAIyty.jpg:large

Very nice! Last time I wasn't too much fond of these Eliot and Marie Rose outfits (even if I love the original work and its characters), but the match of these 4 ones it's really perfect considering the appearences/personalities of everyone and the fact that all these 4 characters have interaction between them in story and tag, thing that now make me like them more taken overall.

Really a very smart idea, the only problem it's that is just truly unlikely that TN will make four DLC outfits by the same person, but it would be really nice imo to get the entire family of outfits translated in-game.

Last edited:

Mayor-Of-Mustard

Really a very smart idea, the only problem it's that is just truly unlikely that TN will make four DLC outfits by the same person, but it would be really nice imo to get the entire family of outfits translated in-game.

I would dig a fairy-tale pack for all characters ^_^

DyByHands

It could work over time. Like the Eliot or Marie Rose could still fit into a casual pack pretty easy. Just Dreaming here, but in theory they could use them all over time.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD