For those who are bored with DOA5

Status
Not open for further replies.

damn-i-suck

First of all, I haven't even logged into FSD in quite some time. Someone said to me once "if you don't like DOA5, then why are you on FSD?". So then I decided to pull myself away for awhile, because I knew eventually I would be back on.

I recently brushed some dust off my old ps2 slim and popped in DOA3 when an old friend of mine came by. We were talking about DOA5, the gameplay changes and whatnot. Both of us agree that the inclusion of Virtua fighter characters was not needed and actually detracts from the core game.

Now, I'm not gonna make an objective statement and say "this game is crap", because I can see why people like it. It appeals to the hardcore, more technical crowd, and this is exactly where DOA5 doesn't appeal to my or many other peoples tastes.

I feel in love with DOA3 a while ago, and the reason it was so appealing was because the mechanics were simple, yet the move sets and strategies were deep. Simple to pick up, hard to master was DOA's motto from the beginning.

I feel like DOA5 shits all over casuals. You now have breast management, on top of the fact that the game is already fast as fuck and you have enough to deal with already, or then throw in parries and guard crushers and you get a game that feels incredibly tech-savvy. The game requires more knowledge than ever before just to actually enjoy it somewhat.

In a nutshell, there's just too much shit to think about now. Not only to I have to make lightning quick decisions , but I have to constantly look at my opponent and be aware of what they might be able to do at any moment. I'm tired of constantly being "on guard" about a YOLO string. To be honest, all I want to have to worry about is low, mid and high, and block punishment, which is already more than enough to keep me occupied.

I was never a wizard at execution, sure I tried to learn Akira's BnB and other such hard-to-do moves, to no avail. One can only spend so much time in training mode before they get bored and give up. When it ceases to be fun, the game itself ceases to have any point in playing it. This is why always played characters like Jan Lee, Hayubusa and some of the other simpler ones.

Well that all goes out the window now, because every character now requires counter hold motions (thank you for shitting on people like me). I STILL to this day cannot connect some counter holds that because you have to input it too fast for my fingers. I see many other players pull this off 100% on their worst days. But like me, there are others who struggle with this kind of stuff. (seriously, what's with the move input overlap BS).

It gets even worse when you start incorporating parries into your game. You now have an entirely new set of frames to memorize, as if there weren't enough "numbers" to store in your head anyways.

The other thing that bothers me, is that some of the character's move sets have been gutted to the point where they are no longer fun or interesting to play as, "but those moves were useless" as some would say. I call bullshit on that because Jan Lee in particular lost quite a few "useful" moves.

The irony is that even though the move sets have been gutted to the bare bones and made "simpler", the mechanics make the game too complex as a whole. Maybe I'm just getting old, but my brain and fingers just can't keep up with all that insanity.

Comebacks are too easy it seems. Example: someone is about to get their guard crushed, then right before, the other player lands a combo starter and uses some shit to extend the combo to be half-life-ish. Then, the defending player is then pushed into a forced block OKI situation, which crushes their guard because they were already flashing red, which leads to ANOTHER devastation combo right around 1/3 life or so. What you have here is one player losing more than 3/4 of their life from a single bad decision, during which they were completely helpless and passively waiting for their chance TO DO ANYTHING for sometimes long, extended period of time.

I always thought stun fests were enough of a comeback mechanic for me. Instant win not enough? Now we have to have stupid, devastating combo setups that are easy to land? Plus I don't think counters were implemented well anyways.

Someone once said to me that a bad fighting game is a game where one player can't do anything for long periods of time, getting juggled, combo'ed or whatever the case may be. Well, in DOA5 you have exactly that, long period of time of inaction from one player.

Don't even get my started on parries. It's painstakingly easy to land, low risk and high reward, not to mention free and not returnableI. Punishing characters get even better? Great...

But, like I said, I can understand why some people like it, heck I even did for about a year or so. I think for me it was more a matter of "wow that's fresh and new". And yes it is "deep" in a sense, just not in the sense that appeals to my taste. It's actually too deep for me.

I gotta run but I'll write more later.

Brute

Standard Donor
1) Don't write in black font
2) Yeah it's the most technical DOA (imo), but if you've been playing since DOA3, you should know the basics and that's enough for casuals
3) You want simplicity and you tried to learn Akira? After saying the VFs detracted from the core game? Why? Pick an easier character.
4) Most people here are in the elitist/exclusionary club who will say that the casuals don't matter except to generate sales money to continue the series and that only the hardcore's feedback should be taken into account. Not saying I agree, just throwing that out there.
5) Honestly what killed DOA5's casual crowd/players was its online. Bad netcode and limited options eventually pushed everyone away. Now, hardly any casuals play online, and usually only the hardcores have dedicated friends who still play.

bingsoo

I don't mean to offend so please don't take this the wrong way, but a lot of what you said contradicts itself.
I feel like DOA5 shits all over casuals.
The game requires more knowledge than ever before just to actually enjoy it somewhat... In a nutshell, there's just too much shit to think about now. Not only to I have to make lightning quick decisions , but I have to constantly look at my opponent and be aware of what they might be able to do at any moment.

This seemed to be what you were wanting to convey at first, but then when you bring up specific aspects of the game that led you to the aforementioned conclusion, you seemed to think that the game is too easy and simple in some regards.

I always thought stun fests were enough of a comeback mechanic for me. Instant win not enough? Now we have to have stupid, devastating combo setups that are easy to land?

Don't even get my started on parries. It's painstakingly easy to land, low risk and high reward, not to mention free and not returnableI.
Interestingly, it seems that a lot of the veterans dislike DOA 5 for the opposite reason. DOA 5 is less thinking and more guessing than the one you mentioned (DOA 3). I played an hour of 3.1 with Mr. Wah and I immediately noticed that it required more strategy in terms of environmental positioning and awareness, holding, punishing, etc. Combos were more strict and harder to execute than 5.

5 does not require more thinking than 3. DOA 3.1 is considered a better fighting game because it requires smarter thinking and strategizing. 5 requires more guessing. Frame data is more relevant in 3 since a lot of characters have plus frames on block and a lot more guaranteed setups. These are just the bare bones of what I noticed in the minimal amount of time I played 3.1

Having no wakeup kicks near the wall, risking holds when high counter damage depletes half your life or more, and knowing damn well that every character in the game (except for Brad) has scary shit that can fuck you up requires more thinking in my opinion. This is all characteristic of 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD