DoA5U AE Ryu Patch wishlist

cip

I really enjoy doing speculation and wishful thinking about changes to Ryu.

So let me start off with what I would like to see changed about him in the next DOA 5 version:

+ Change the input for WR H+K to 236 H+K
+ Make 4 H+K, 9P and WR 4 K, 9P way faster
+ Make 66K available from Ongyoin and make it a critical burst*
+ Give 1K more frame advantage on hit and counter hit and make it available from Ongyoin.

- Remove the possibility to do Shoho after Izuna, 33 P. (looks silly)

* The biggest buff I suggest here. In my opinion, it is really important to give Ryu a bit more reliable pressure tools against strong opponents. As this low crushes, low strikes become less of a catch all defense option for the opponent and sidestepping is more interesting. It would also give Ryu one more way to travel forward while staying in Ongyoin and nearly all characters have a critical burst from their secondary stances now. I would also reduce its range from Ongyoin and make it a critical burst only in that version.

Last edited:

Jaguar360

I love most of your suggestions, but a few things bug me:
- Having a guard breaking CB from Ongyoin seems rather overpowered. Having 66K from Ongoyin would be excellent, but I'd rather have a replacement of Ongoyin 2P+K or 6K as a Critical Burst. (And underhand punch or Ong. 6K with less range that stuns.
- Izuna --> 33P --> Shoho Izuna looks amazing! I hope this never goes away.

Everything else sounds amazing.

SilverForte

I thing Ong would be fine as is if the move transitions into it gave more advantage, +10 for 66k for example.

I would give him back his old 3 h+k for sure, and give 4p2p some kind of advantage, like in the old days.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
2K should get crouching status back
WR H+K can stay but it should be WR 4H+K
H+KKP should be removed in favor of another attack that launches (we already have a wallsplat with the K ender and the P end just avoids a wallsplat and otherwise has very liimited uses)
2H+K and its variants should go back to crushing everything but true mids and lows (Momiji's pretty much does the it so Hayabusa's should too)
Most standing moves from Ongyoin should tech crouch highs at startup for a few frames
There should be at least one move from Ongyoin that is fast enough to tech hop lows to prevent the "2P from everyone beats everything" nonsense, which would make Ongyoin viable up close for mixups
46H+P should have more guaranteed on Normal, similar to Ayane's throw
There should be new teleport options, one directly in front of the opponent and another above but without attacking (think empty jump from 2D fighters)

cip

There should be at least one move from Ongyoin that is fast enough to tech hop lows to prevent the "2P from everyone beats everything" nonsense, which would make Ongyoin viable up close for mixups(...)
There should be new teleport options, one directly in front of the opponent and another above but without attacking (think empty jump from 2D fighters)
Exactly. Ongyoin with a low crushing option other than 6P+K is much needed and some more teleports would rock. I would actually like a "teleport backwards, just out of wake up range, but within Shoho range" ;)

And I agree with SilverForte, and Ryu needs more frame advantage in general. The 3 H+K is lost dearly.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I think teleporting and having the option to already be in Ongyoin would help a lot, actually.

Nameless Sama

I like the suggestions. I agree with all of your but I would give for Ryu his oldschool handstandskills back which you allow to ecape and attack. They should edit 4PK to vanilia version. IN 5U 4PK is crap.

Brute

Standard Donor
Okay, let's go!

• 4PK/PP4PK and 3H+K return to vanilla versions but with +3 on guard
    6KK should be a hit-throw that leads into the Flower-Garland Drop/Flaming Hell Wheel Drop
  • 1K should be a hit-throw into a lower-damage version of ongyoin T
  • 4P2P is neutral on NH
  • 66K is +6 on guard
  • WR H+K is changed to 236K
  • 33K is sent to hell along with 44P
  • Cliff Izunas are not stopped by walls. Launch a bitch over and drop 'em

Nameless Sama

Just give for Ryu the firewheel drop ! UFFFF I am imaging Firewheel Drop + Clif.
Seriously Ryu should get a MiD Kick CB. Its unfair that Ayane and Alpha and Rig have 2 CBs. Afterall the most opponents dont make a mid kick holf after critical stun (red). I say.......good night for him......

Jaguar360

Just give for Ryu the firewheel drop ! UFFFF I am imaging Firewheel Drop + Clif.
Seriously Ryu should get a MiD Kick CB. Its unfair that Ayane and Alpha and Rig have 2 CBs. Afterall the most opponents dont make a mid kick holf after critical stun (red). I say.......good night for him......
I think my suggestion of Ongyoin 6K would work well as a mid kick CB. It's 19 frames already and is useless at the moment with Ongyoin 6P+K around. Ryu would greatly benefit from this.

Nameless Sama

Jaguar onygion 6K is not useless. This move is a troll attack. Its like christies 66KK ;). I have studied every move from ryu on 360 the last 2 weeks ;).

Nameless Sama

Zero the most people are too dump to make mid hold kick so you can feel free to spam 7K :p So I will not spam 7K because on my spam list stays :236::P+K::P::P::4862::F: :p

Brute

Standard Donor
Even with how unsafe 7k is, I'll sometimes fail to punish it cause of the surprise factor.
7K also doesn't have any forward momentum since it's a "keep-out" attack. Thus, you're not always within great range after blocking it for a a throw punish.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD