DOA5, Summer Jam, and the Offline Community

Tap Master C

Ohh wait... NOW I get it... "first to 3" as in best out of 5... I thought you meant first 3 and somehow typo'ed a "to" into the sentence...
I do deserve to be DQ'ed out of this thread for that dumb mistake, much like the folks who would walk away from the room, right after we told them to "stick around, your match is coming up..." Props to Dr. Dogg for ruthlessly dropping the hammer on that too.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I meant to do this last night when I got access to it, but...I was tired as hell. So I did it tonight. Think I pulled the proper snippets out, included a few group pics, and linked right back. Good work on the thread. This was simultaneously our largest event ever and our most close-knit, in terms of community members. Zero drama to speak of, tons of fun was had by everyone, we got new community members, some crossover from other communities, and we showed Tecmo Koei, in person, just how we do shit.

This is DoA.

LostSkeleton73

Standard Donor
Great coverage guys!
It's stuff like this that makes me want to get some tourneys done up here in Toronto once the game comes out.
And when I say tourneys, not this "pay me $10 so I can whoop you with Ayane" tourney set-up. How I hated them so effin much.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
They were pretty cool. Felt good, too, though playing DoA with a stick is still weird to me. I won a few matches at least.

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
I actually brought an Xbox pad, but Gill never said anything to me about people playing 3.1. I would have gladly let people use mine had I known.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Ohh wait... NOW I get it... "first to 3" as in best out of 5... I thought you meant first 3 and somehow typo'ed a "to" into the sentence...
I do deserve to be DQ'ed out of this thread for that dumb mistake, much like the folks who would walk away from the room, right after we told them to "stick around, your match is coming up..." Props to Dr. Dogg for ruthlessly dropping the hammer on that too.

I never understood why people used the term "best of".

I mean think about it, when you just say "first to 2" or "first to 3" you're giving all the information that is required.

When you say "Best of 5" you are giving a person a number, forcing them to divide that number, and then forcing them to round up to the next whole number. Three whole actions that are required to figure out wtf the person is talking about, when you could've just given them the number in the first place and made it a one step process.

Dumb terminology is dumb. Fuck tradition, says I.

Tap Master C

I never understood why people used the term "best of".

I mean think about it, when you just say "first to 2" or "first to 3" you're giving all the information that is required.

When you say "Best of 5" you are giving a person a number, forcing them to divide that number, and then forcing them to round up to the next whole number. Three whole actions that are required to figure out wtf the person is talking about, when you could've just given them the number in the first place and made it a one step process.

Dumb terminology is dumb. Fuck tradition, says I.
A valid point, Erik. I never really thought of it that way, but I've always been accustomed to using "best of" for these situations, likely due to all the sports that I follow that use it. It's the established term and while I don't believe the term is "dumb," I commend you for taking a stand in trying to change that.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I vote for a new change in terminology then. I vote for "I'm the best to three!" Naturally only one person can say it in a match, but it's really no different than calling "Shotgun!" You snooze, you lose. Literally, in this case. Anyone want to second my motion? Any takers? Anyone at all?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD