DOA Q&A

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
I don't play either character so I don't know their frame data off-hand but I haven't checked, no. The pages don't specify which version the frame data is for and those have been the only two characters put up since launch. It's a pretty safe assumption that since nothing else has been updated, the character specific frame changes haven't been either. If I am indeed wrong then please feel free to correct me.

dawnbringer

I don't play either character so I don't know their frame data off-hand but I haven't checked, no. The pages don't specify which version the frame data is for and those have been the only two characters put up since launch. It's a pretty safe assumption that since nothing else has been updated, the character specific frame changes haven't been either. If I am indeed wrong then please feel free to correct me.

I can tell that at least one of the pages has been updated with the latest (1.03A) changes to frame data and new moves.

Marcus Young

I'm not sure how to ask this because it seems like a stupid question. I'm not very familiar with the number system that dictates directional input. Can someone fill me in? If that question's been answered already, I apologize for asking again. Thanks.

akhi216

Standard Donor
Marcus Young said:
I'm not sure how to ask this because it seems like a stupid question. I'm not very familiar with the number system that dictates directional input. Can someone fill me in? If that question's been answered already, I apologize for asking again. Thanks.

Think of it like this

...and imagine that your using a joystick on an arcade game machine.

1.) Down and away (from your opponent) diagonal

2.) Down

3.) Down and towards (your opponent) diagonal

4.) Away (from your opponent)

5.) Neutral, holding no direction

6.) Towards (your opponent)

7.) Up and away (from your opponent), diagonal

8.) Up

9.) Up and towards (your opponent), diagonal

-A quarter circle forward notation would read 236, a half circle forward notation would read 41236, a back, forward notation would read 46.

-A general rule of thumb is that all of the notations are written assuming that the fighter is facing right to avoid confusion.

Once you learn the system by putting combos in practice you will see that it makes sense and that there probably isn't a better way.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor

For the future, take a gander at the terminology list.in the wiki. Yes, it hasn't been updated since DOA4 I believe but it's still a good resource for beginners to understand some of the core terminology we use: http://www.freestepdodge.com/wiki/dead-or-alive-terminology/

Cla

Standard Donor
Am I the only who sees that all the individual DLC packs are being listed as Free on PSN? (But the China pack is Unavailable) I got a pic on my phone but it's not a smartphone so it might take me a while to find a way to upload it.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
If that is true, it may be costume packs so that you can play against people with the costumes but not select them.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Stagger (or Slow) Escaping is mashing directions to speed up the time you are in critical state. It does not apply for all critical stuns, but many of them.

You can see this in the game by turning on the Move Details, have the AI hit you with a 6P on hi-counter blow, then see how much frame disadvantage you're in for stun. Then next time while in the stun mash :7::3: alternatively and you'll see you're in shorter disadvantage.

Shin Ken

So with the slow escape, does the directional input mashing matter which side ur facing? I also read somewhere else to use circular motion so I'm not sure which one is more effective. Can't seem to do it properly.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
One question on the frame data reading. If a move is listed as 12(2)23, this is how I understand it.

12 frames for the move to execute
2 frames are the active frames, meaning it can land a hit on the opponent for a 2 frame duration
23 is the amount of frames it takes for my character to recover

However, there is a mistake in the strikes data where I should always add 2 frames.

Are my assumptions correct?

dawnbringer

One question on the frame data reading. If a move is listed as 12(2)23, this is how I understand it.

12 frames for the move to execute
2 frames are the active frames, meaning it can land a hit on the opponent for a 2 frame duration
23 is the amount of frames it takes for my character to recover

However, there is a mistake in the strikes data where I should always add 2 frames.

Are my assumptions correct?

You should only add 1 “special” frame before execution. The other frame of those two is the first active frame, it's already there. So we have something like that: (1)12(2)23.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Right, the "Add 2 frames" is only in reference to the game's display of the number of frames for the move to execute. It does not count the first active frame when giving you its number. I.e. in your example it gives the value 12. You need to know that the 13th frame is the hit frame, and that if it's a string starter then it requires 1 additional frame between the time you press the button and the time it starts the 12 frames of startup.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD