DOA 5 Musings: How To Bring Back Individuality and How Bending the Triangle Can Be a Good Thing

MeanMrMustard

Hello everyone, this is Jared just in case you didn't know. I've been doing a lot of thinking and I decided to write something up to create some discussion on what effects small tweaks in design philosophy can change DOA for the better. Most of these ideas were though of before the most recent announcements so some of them have already been (sort of) announced for DOA5. Hopefully you guys take the time to read it and let me know what you think!

The possibility of another installment in the Dead or Alive franchise has tantalized fans of the series for a few years now. The very thought begets many feelings out of players, the foremost feeling being hope: Hope that mistakes made in design of DOA4 would be remedied, hope that with the new title, and air of legitimacy will be brought to the franchise, and most importantly, hope that a stronger, more populous community will rise from the ashes and come together to play the fresh, much improved game. I, too, have these hopes, and with these hopes comes ideas. While I have no actual input on the production and design of the game, I thought it would be fun to share these ideas with the rest of the community too spark discussion and see what others thought, and maybe some of this will find its way back to Team Ninja, and they can consider some of the ideas put forth, and form their own opinions of them.

How the Universality of DOA4 Actually Worked as a Tool of Imbalance:
The first thing I would like to discuss is the universality of character tools in DOA4. One of the biggest changes from DOA3 to 4 was that much of the gameplay systems and tools that were unique to certain characters were spread out to the entire cast. One may say then, that this would help to balance the game, seeing as how each character possesses the same tools as any other character. However, I would argue that this design philosophy actually works to provide more imbalance than anything else. For example, catch throws (later termed “offensive holds” in DOA4) in DOA3 were unique to a select few characters. Most of these characters were grappling characters*, who, while having the advantage of possessing throws that would beat attacks (thus bending the rules of the triangle system, but more on that later), would be balanced out in other areas of the game by having a slower striking speed and not being as offensively capable as some of the more striking-oriented characters. (*I understand that characters like Hayabusa, Jann Lee, Ayane, and Kasumi had catch throws in DOA3, but with the exception of Jann Lee's, all were easily avoidable and not essential to their core gameplay) This fit from a design perspective, and allowed players to have a different play style with these characters than others in the cast. Now take DOA4's design philosophy and spread out this tool to the rest of the cast. Now, primarily striking characters with quick moves and various strings also had this once grappler friendly tool to add to their arsenal. However, while quicker, striking-oriented characters obtained offensive holds, giving them advantages once unique to the grappler, the grappling characters were left slow and offensively inept, comparably. This shift of DOA4's core design automatically put characters like Bass, Bayman, and Leon at a lower standing than the likes of Hayabusa, Ein, Gen Fu, and Ayane, and created “jack of all trades” characters in the process. It is my belief that if offensive holds were taken out of the universal tool set of Dead or Alive, it would not take away from the game itself, but instead add much needed uniqueness and originality to the character selection that was painfully lacking in DOA4.

This may sound like a “DOA4 is bad, make it like DOA3!” sort of thing, but there are a lot of things I actually liked in DOA4 that I feel were the right direction for the series. For example, giving Hitomi a parry that would parry all mid and high punches was a very nice addition. It created strategy and added more to the meta game than there would be in other matches. To expand upon this, I would like to see Hitomi given more options after a successful punch parry, possibly dependent on the timing of her parry, be it normal, counter, or hi-counter class.

I also liked that Helena's Bokuho stance became more robust, and it really became essential to maximizing her potential. The fluidity with which you could transition between standing and Bokuho, and the added options that being in Bokuho gave her really turned her into a unique and fun character to use.

With added variability between character tools comes diversity in strategy and the ability to balance characters against each other instead of just giving them all similar tools and hoping for the best. It is my opinion that addition by subtraction would do wonders for the series, and each player will more easily find a character that fits their play style and strength, rather than the player having to fit the game's mold.

MeanMrMustard

Part 2:
How Bending the Rules of the Triangle System Can Add Depth:
The core system of Dead or Alive gameplay can be whittled down to the triangle system. That is, attacks beat throws, throws beat holds, and holds beat attacks. This is what makes Dead or Alive tick, and has been the case since the very beginning. However, the rigidity of the triangle is something I have always felt has been a weak point of the series. While it is very reliable (a player can always be sure that his attack will beat his opponent's throw, or that if he inputs a mid punch hold and his opponent's mid punch lands within the hold window, he would be rewarded with a successful hold), I believe that giving the cast moves that “bend” the triangle system in one way or another can add depth to the gameplay and foster a less restrictive system. The series started along this path by adding offensive holds, allowing the player to have a throw-like move that simultaneously beats attacks, which bends both the throw and hold categories of the triangle. Unfortunately, as discussed before, when this is divided as liberally as it was in DOA4, it can create unforeseen balance issues. I would like to see Team Ninja expand upon this element of gameplay and give characters moves that bend the triangle not only in the hold and throw categories, but also the attack category.

One of the hallmarks of the Dead or Alive franchise is the defensive hold. They are known by many other names: counters, reversals, parries (although parries implies a different effect to the DOA savvy), but all refer to a move that absorbs your opponent's attack (assuming you executed the proper input for the corresponding hit level and type) and deals damage back to them. I won't get into the hold window or the frequency in which you can hold (both of which have been discussed ad nauseam), but rather how the game can be changed to give the attacker more options than just at what hit level he would like to attack. This would be especially critical for situations such as when the attacker has his opponent in a stunned state. In past DOA games, the stunned player had the option to hold out of the stun or slow escape, giving the attacker the choice to either throw or attack. This scenario, in my opinion, does not give enough advantage to the attacking player, who earned this situation most likely by capitalizing on the mistake of his opponent. However, if there were certain attacks that “broke” holds, much in the way that certain attacks in Street Fighter 4 “break” focus attacks, there would be added depth to the game, and make the players think further in advance of their actions, putting strategy at the forefront of gameplay. While I believe this to be the case, I also believe that adding this to the game would be difficult to implement and properly balance.

One way of going about this would be to make these moves slower than other moves. The first move I thought of for this property was Hayabusa's QCF+P. This move has a relatively long start up, but is also a launcher. While I turned this over in my head many times, I kept coming to the conclusion that Hayabusa strategy would subsequently be condensed down to getting a stun and doing QCF+P to launch, or getting a stun, extending it a few times if the Hayabusa player is feeling particularly greedy at the moment, and then doing QCF+P for an even beefier launch. To remedy this, I came up with the idea of making these moves hit high only. This would give the defending player a chance to avoid the situation by holding low, and create different weights to options instead of the now all-options-are-equally-viable situation that exists now. This would mean that other holdable mid moves would still be an option if the attacker believes the stunned player will low hold and does not want to risk doing a low throw and thus losing momentum if his opponent does not hold low.

After discussing this idea with Sorwah, he brought up the idea of making these moves not launchers, but knock-back moves. This would solve the problem of the simplified and redundant strategy that my first thought created, and also added to gameplay a greater emphasis on spatial awareness. I believe this is a case where, depending on the character, either option would be viable. I also believe there are cases where a mid level hitting launcher would work and not become the situation that my first example became. For example, if I were making the game, I would like to make Bass' buffalo horn (33P) an unholdable move, but to balance it I would remove the follow up and make it unsafe. This would work because Bass is not a character that uses the stun system extensively and therefore his situations to stun and launch would be much less than say if a ninja character had this ability.

There are other system changes and design philosophies I would like to see in the next Dead or Alive, such as stun system changes and how the sidestep can be tweaked (3.1 style is not enough for me as even that was still very limited). Depending on how you guys liked this write up and if people are actually discussing this, I may write about those as well. I really would like to hear everyone's thoughts on this, and I apologize if some or all of this is redundant in any way, I just haven't really been keeping up with the DOA community as of late. Here's to hoping Team Ninja makes a great follow up to the series we all love.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
to pick at a scab here....

If you want setups off of Hitomi's punch parry, that mid kick counter is gonna need a really big nerf. I need SOME way to intelligently get past your holds without betting the farm. Kill my jab options, and well, what is my "logical" choice im left with? mid kicks... only as is, they will take half my damn lifebar if i screw that up.

It would be nice to see that get nerfed, and her punch parries buffed though. That kind of thing makes characters more interesting.

MeanMrMustard

Yeah that's a good point. Making her weaker against kicks would be a good way to go. I always thought her mid kick counter was a bit excessive anyway.

With regards to Ayane and DoA in general, here are my thoughts.

First off, let me start by saying that OHs are fine as they are. As you said we need something to reverse the triangle. So if we now have a throw that beats strikes conceptually we could have a hold that beats throws and a strike that beats holds. Making certain (probably slower) attacks unholdable as you said takes care of the first, maybe some sort of Throw only Hold for the other.

Now as for how to balance the system, as I see it we have 3 major types of characters:
Strikers (High damage on strikes, Mid range damage on holds and throws, no more than 2 OH)
Grapplers (High damage on Throws and Holds, Mid-high range damage on strikes, However many OHs are needed.)
Ninjas (Mid damage on strikes, Mid damage on holds and throws, extra movement options, 3-4 OH)

Or at least that's how I think it should be set up. Strikers and Grapplers focusing on Strikes and Throws/holds respectively with Ninjas being mid range on just about everything with some extra movement options. I also think that the current damage on Ninjas is just too high in general. I'd also like to see the Izuna be breakable like most multipart OHs are, but I think that might be a different discussion.

Raansu

Yeah that's a good point. Making her weaker against kicks would be a good way to go. I always thought her mid kick counter was a bit excessive anyway.

Her mid kick was her only way of getting any real juggle damage though. All of her other launchers needed long strings that ended with a bounce to get a good juggle going that were all easy to read and easy to counter. She had very few set ups and relied much more on the mix up game then most other characters in the cast.

Berzerk!

I'm going to give this more thought but I first just wanted to say this is a really good article and its great to see such a considered contribution. Good to see you still about, Jared

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Her mid kick was her only way of getting any real juggle damage though. All of her other launchers needed long strings that ended with a bounce to get a good juggle going that were all easy to read and easy to counter. She had very few set ups and relied much more on the mix up game then most other characters in the cast.

Then fix the rest of her.

But her counter situation would still be stupid.

DrDogg

Which Jared are you? I assume you're not CaliJared or Mr. Jared?

Offensive Holds - I don't think offensive holds have a significant impact on the tiers. If you removed them completely, the tiers wouldn't really change. If you just gave them to the grapplers, they wouldn't really move up the tier list.

Hitomi's Parry - Give her frame advantage and nothing more, but give her three parries instead of just one. I'd like to see a high, mid and low punch parry. That way it's easier to fight her, the Hitomi player has to think more before using the parries, but they're still effective. It adds more depth and skill to Hitomi while not really making her better or worse. Of course, if the counter/parry frames are adjusted, this may be a moot point. This suggestion is only effective if the counter frames remain as they were in DOA4.

Helena's Bokuho - As a Helena player I can tell you that I felt she was much better in DOA2U than she was in DOA4. Yes, BKO is great in DOA4, but her options from BKO were very limited. I can go high, which leads to nothing in most cases, and a stun at best. I can go mid, which is the counter of choice in almost every situation, but I can mix that up with a throw. This mixup is her best option out of BKO. Her one low from BKO was nerfed from DOA2U to DOA4 (or was it 4.0 to 4.1?) so that's not a very good option either. It also didn't help that she was something like -12 when canceling out of BKO.

I really like Helena's various stances and the depth of her character (I think she's one of the deepest characters in the game), but she needs more VIABLE options. That's the key here. From a competitive standpoint, it doesn't matter what you add or remove from any of the characters if those assets are not viable.

Bass is low tier in DOA4 because all of his viable options from 3.1 were nerfed. It had nothing to do with the fact that everyone else got offensive holds. You can buff his throw damage all you want (within reason), and it won't matter if throws aren't a viable option for Bass (aside from punishment, they weren't). You know why Busa is top tier? Because almost everything he has is viable in one situation or another.

I do agree that DOA needs to change at the base level, which includes the triangle system. However, what I'd like to see is a step back to the multiple stun system we had before, then add to it...

Instead of virtually every attack inflicting the same stun on counter hit, I'd like to see 3-5 different stun types. Bring back limbo stun, add to that stumble stun we saw in DOA4, and then maybe include a couple more stun types. Of the recommended 5 stuns, only one would allow you to counter out, but this is the most common stun. You can't counter out of any of the other stun types, but you also can't extend the stun. So it's either you risk getting countered and go for the normal stun, or you stun and launch (or throw?) in a situation that nets you less damage, but removes the opponent's ability to counter.

I think my main issue with DOA4 is that there's a way out of EVERYTHING. You got counter hit? No problem, just counter out. You're in a stun and about to be launched? No problem, just counter that launcher or use a low counter if the launcher is high (which also avoids extending the stun with high attacks). The opponent has you in a frame trap (the 1 or 2 that existed in DOA4) and is going for a throw setup? No problem, just attack to beat out the throw. There is rarely a situation in DOA4 in which the attacker and defender are not on virtually equal ground, and that needs to change.

Look at how DOA4 evolved. By the end of the competitive life cycle, the main setups were crushes (avoiding the counter system), uncounterable setups off of knockdowns (avoiding the counter system), and connecting with whatever your setup was that led to the knockdown for the uncounterable setup. In DOA5, the counter system needs to be adjusted, or we need the ability to get around it with viable options.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I agree totally with the premise of this article. I however feel that the elements that you would like to introduce(bending the triangle system rules) would create a more in depth game, but it will still be lacking. The game will still end up Majoring in the triangle system, and minoring in the meta game.Dead or Alive 3.1 was so brilliant because the player had options enabling high usage of meta games and not the triangle system alone. Let me give some examples of what I am trying to convey. In Doa4, Blows were beaten by Holds and holds were beaten by throws and throws beaten by blows...at the end of the day it's useless because you are brought back to the beginning, the same redundant cycle. In 3.1 you can opt out the triangle system and use a (counter) blow as a defensive tool(alternate to a defensive hold) because it allowed you to get a launch + a juggle, or a knockback + wall hit + Juggle, knockback + ukezemi or knockdown + ukezemi(Bass, Tina, Bayman, Hayate..etc). From block/whiffing you can get many of the same situations or you can block/whiff + Throw. All of these options are available just from opting out of using the triangle system's defensive hold. This is what Team ninja needs to invest in so that we will get a more robust system.

MeanMrMustard

Doc, this is the artist formerly known as CaliJared. The points I wanted to put forth in this post were subtle gameplay systems that were implemented in 4 that skew the shift of balance. I do believe that giving everyone OHs but not compensating the grapplers with better throws or strikes puts them on lower ground because quicker characters have every tool in the game available to them at all times and while they can play any style they want grapplers were still pretty limited. I didn't want to go into too many character specific scenarios because doing that would assume too much about how the system for the new game will work (hold window, side step system, stun system). Now, I could go into how character changes could benefit and balance characters in the confines of DOA4, but I'm more into looking forward than back. And about Helena's BKO, I think that in this style of game, the mid/throw mix up is at the heart, and the options Helena had out of BKO were enough in DOA4 to make it a very good tool. I do agree that they could flesh it out more, and would like to see that, but I think they were on the right track with what they were doing in 4.

I do like what you're saying about the stun system though. I was going to write something on that but thought this was long enough already. I really want different stun types with some you can't hold out of and some you can. It would put more weight to attacking options, allowing some thinking to go into when/what you hold on the defensive. I also think the slow escape system should be revamped, with not EVERYTHING subject to being slow escaped.

VP, I see what you're saying. I think I have played 4 for so long that I forgot the little things about 3.1. I really hope the wall game changes, disallowing people to use the hold, but only giving the small launch that DOA4 gave upon launching right away. The implementation of a more robust side step system (more than what 3.1 offers) would also go along the way of moving away from the triangle system. In 3.1 it was possible to step single attacks, but if it were a string the rest of the string would follow you. I would personally like to see something that when you stepped the first attack in a string, the rest would whiff as long as you do not try to attack back, much like evading worked in VF5. Of course if your string still has a full/half circular, that would hit the evading player.

x Sypher x

I agree totally with the premise of this article. I however feel that the elements that you would like to introduce(bending the triangle system rules) would create a more in depth game, but it will still be lacking. The game will still end up Majoring in the triangle system, and minoring in the meta game.Dead or Alive 3.1 was so brilliant because the player had options enabling high usage of meta games and not the triangle system alone. Let me give some examples of what I am trying to convey. In Doa4, Blows were beaten by Holds and holds were beaten by throws and throws beaten by blows...at the end of the day it's useless because you are brought back to the beginning, the same redundant cycle. In 3.1 you can opt out the triangle system and use a (counter) blow as a defensive tool(alternate to a defensive hold) because it allowed you to get a launch + a juggle, or a knockback + wall hit + Juggle, knockback + ukezemi or knockdown + ukezemi(Bass, Tina, Bayman, Hayate..etc). From block/whiffing you can get many of the same situations or you can block/whiff + Throw. All of these options are available just from opting out of using the triangle system's defensive hold. This is what Team ninja needs to invest in so that we will get a more robust system.

As a visual learner, and a person with no experience in 3.1, I would like to see how these different scenarios are put into play.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Look at this:
You can see that there is no stun extension to get a launch, you can see whiff punishing(spacing), the use of attacks as defensive tools(counter blow), you can see the use of individual tools...Jann Lee's :6::F:+:P:(catch throw) into :6::6::K:. Hayabusa using his charge up attack as both an evasive + whiff punishing attack, busa using his hand stand setups. There is Side Stepping..etc. Everything that is going on in that video are things that you will never see in a doa4 match.

DrDogg

Jared... why the name change...?

The sidestep has to be an effective tool in high level play. If it's not, then there's no point in adding one. I actually think people who player other fighters would be more upset with a useless sidestep than they would with no sidestep at all.

DOA is a string-based game. If that remains the offensive focus, a sidestep definitely needs to evade an entire strings (with a few assumed exceptions). If it doesn't, then you need to be able to interrupt an opponent's string immediately following a sidestep. This is something that's possible in VF.

Speaking of which, DOA5 will likely be going head-to-head against Tekken Tag 2 and VF5:FS at the end of 2012. That's not a good look. DOA5 needs to really be on point to compete with those two.

You can see that there is no stun extension to get a launch, you can see whiff punishing(spacing), the use of attacks as defensive tools(counter blow), you can see the use of individual tools...Jann Lee's :6::F:+:P:(catch throw) into :6::6::K:. Hayabusa using his charge up attack as both an evasive + whiff punishing attack, busa using his hand stand setups. There is Side Stepping..etc. Everything that is going on in that video are things that you will never see in a doa4 match.

Can you point out all of this you're seeing?

After watching that match, I saw very little whiff punishment, and the only "sidestepping" I saw was Jann Lee's sidestep attack (which is not the same thing). I'm also not following where these attacks are used as defensive tools aside from Hayabusa's charge up attack and Jann Lee's sidestep attack since they have the ability to evade. Nothing I saw here could be considered universal to the system, it was all character specific and things that could have been implemented under DOA4's system mechanics.

I did like that frame adv though. PLEASE give me frame adv attacks in DOA5... and attacks that can't be countered... and single hit launchers.

MeanMrMustard

In many cases in VF5, if you were to evade the beginning of a string and try to follow up with an attack, the string would then track and there's a good chance that you would get counter hit for trying to attack too soon. Giving DOA5 a nice step system and frame advantage would allow people to respond with other moves besides holds and crushes after being put into a disadvantage situation, opening the game up immensely.

Also the level of that match in my opinion isn't as high as it could have been, probably because it was early in the life in 3.1. Many things were whiffed and not punished correctly, unsafe moves not punished on block, and damage left on the table all around. DOA3.1 is a good base, don't get me wrong, but I think the game can grow so much from there and while 3.1 is probably the best DOA to date, it still has many of the same problems that all DOA games suffer from.

As for the name change, I didn't really want to make my name on here "Jared", and I'm not fond of the "Cali" part anymore, so I just decided to make a fun name that doesn't mean much. And I'm a pretty big Beatles fan so that is why I chose what I did.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
You can see sort of a funny looking instance of it at 1:57.

Jann lee starts to step, busa uses an attack with some horizontal properties and smacks him in the face, but the remainder of his string makes him go right off kilter. I think thats kind of proof of concept and I've no problems with entire strings going off kilter if they miss, but I'd like to see some tracking re-adjustments after an attack actually lands.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
You also see Bill easily FSD Busa's low wake-up kick at 0:29, possibly caused due to the :8::8::K: that hit busa. The wall tech stuff as well is featured prominently.

MASTER

Standard Donor
You also see Bill easily FSD Busa's low wake-up kick at 0:29, possibly caused due to the :8::8::K: that hit busa. The wall tech stuff as well is featured prominently.
The wake up kicks whiffed more when he just got straight up to kick which happens in DOA4 a lot but not DOA2 so much. But the get up kick tracked him when he decided to do a tech roll then a get up kick which is also in DOA4. (You see this at 1:02)

MASTER
:hayabusa:

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
The wake up kicks whiffed more when he just got straight up to kick which happens in DOA4 a lot but not DOA2 so much. But the get up kick tracked him when he decided to do a tech roll then a get up kick which is also in DOA4. (You see this at 1:02)

MASTER

Are we seeing the same match? At 1:02 Tom side steps and does :6::F+P:, whiffing Busa's wake-up kick.

MASTER

Standard Donor
I apologize. i meant 1:08Secs. I believe its the second get up kick of the match where he tech rolls and it tracks.

MASTER

x Sypher x

Thanks for the reference VP, it was very interesting to watch. ;) My favorite part was at 0:48 when Unique tried to anticipate a whiff after his wake up kick with Ryu's charge punch, and then TB punishes him for it with :6::6::K: . It's like, "Oh you wanna make we whiff? BAM! I make you whiff!" Lol XD

Are we seeing the same match? At 1:02 Tom side steps and does :6::F+P:, whiffing Busa's wake-up kick.

It was possible to evade wake up kicks via sidestepping? Or did it whiff because TB used :6::F+P: ?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD