Defense Wins Championships (Need Help)

Ok, some of you may remember me from when i first posted on the site and some of you may not, anyways, ever since i bought DoA i've been trying to learn at the fastest pace i can to try to catch up seeing as how im new to the whole DoA series. (but not fighting games)

So my question is aimed at you veterans out there, i've been trying to figure it out for myself since day 1, but i havent really gotten far at all...I want to learn how to play defense effectively. It seems like everytime i try to block and punish with one of my faster attacks or a grab (i use Fang by the way) i just get hit first into another combo or stun game and its frustrating. Im here from streetfighter so i understand for the most part that im not supposed to just throw out unsafe moves over and over again,so i do strings that are relatively safe on block -7 or less and if its blocked,then i block,or do a high crush if i think they are going high,but once again,when i give them the chance to start attacking me all hell breaks loose and i end up getting hit low,which makes me panic and try to do a jab afterwards,or i try to duck their next attack (and get away from the grab) and i end up getting demolished by some mids..

I do understand that it takes alot of time to get better, but i was just wondering if there was anything that im missing that can help me become better at that aspect of my game? The way i play this game is to learn and understand why things are happening to me, so im not the type of person to just slam on random counters over and over again until something works, but it seems like that works against me because i lose ALOT against people that i dont feel should be beating me.

Anyways the wall of text is over, any input or suggestions to help me would be greatly appreciated,thanks guys!

-AK

NukNuks

Learn how to Slow/stagger escape during the right stun and that will improve your defense.

Lei's parries and sabaki are great defensive tools, learn how to use them and the guaranteed follow ups that come with em.

Don't always complete your move strings. You can mix up your game by doing half a string then following up with another halfa string. This is called poking.

Learn how to incorporate sidesteps into getting back on offense when your opponent does certain strings. It will be up to you to figure out through trial & error (or research) which characters attacks can be sidestepped or if they're worth attempting a sidestep.

It's easy to get your defense on point in this game bro. Ignore all these online doesn't mean anything and actually understand that playing online does not mean anything. Some games I'll sit there and make it a point to only get damage through whiff punishing or I'll just sit there blocking and attempting to duck/hi counter blow throws. Basically practice your defense online where the only thing on the line is someone from fsd or doaworld crying and saying you suck

RoboJoe

Make sure when you're slow escaping to hold guard and then spin the stick. I have a bad habit of spinning first then mashing the button which results in a random hold. This has cost me games. It will cost you games. Don't be like me, slow escape properly.

Yea those are two really good tips guys thanks, i sometimes sit there and just try to block/counter correctly until i understand just what it is they are throwing out at me,sometimes it works,sometimes i end up getting great(ed) though and i dont really mind it, i know it makes people think they are godlike hahaha.

@RoboJoe I use the analog stick for the 360 so it feels like its a bit harder to slow escape,am i trippin? Or is it harder using the analog on the 360?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD