Competitive balance: DOA5U mechanics changes

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
Right, that's what I've been doing. Still hella dumb doing 2 HiCH 214Ts and having them with life left, though.

Max536Drago

Then you'll LOVE Street Fighter X Tekken as it was originally released. Have fun with that, young sir.
I'm good, 2D fighters are trash except for smash bros.
Yeah, lots of my matches are ending with a tiny sliver of health left and it becomes a game of "Will he 2P?" Definitely would rather less health.

Also, buff Kokoro's 214T. As far as I know, everyone's 12f throw has been buffed EXCEPT for her 3 part throw. I mean, just why would Ayane's throw do more than Kokoro's?
That's why 2P or weak low strikes in general should not be able to cause a K.O. I like fighting matches when you hang on by a sliver instead of just dying from something powerful.

Max536Drago

Spoken like a true idiot who knows nothing about the genre, let alone how it's played at high levels.
lol The controls are hard and I hate having to press back to block. It could of easily been made a button. Smash brothers system is competitive and easy to pick up.

d3v

lol The controls are hard and I hate having to press back to block. It could of easily been made a button. Smash brothers system is competitive and easy to pick up.
Back to block adds strategic depth since it allows for cross-ups and left-right mixups. Block button is too strong, why do you think MK needs to compensate with strong chip damage?

MasterHavik

Having back to block gave characters in Injustice reset. It does wonders y'know Max.

Now for what I wanna see for this game is some character bounds need to bound faster so there will be guaranteed damage for everyone not a select few. That's stupid in my book.

Jaguar360

I know this is off topic, but I agree with you Max. I wouldn't say they're bad, but I also dislike 2D fighters for their clunkiness, block mechanics, and unnecessarily hard combos.
Saying that they are bad however is probably not a good thing to say.

On the topic of life, I really don't care too much. I like long matches, but quick matches are great too. Each have their benefits. 270 was a good compromise between 240 and 300, so I don't know why Team Ninja changed the life back to 300 in 5U.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor

Then you may like a game like Persona 4 Arena where everything is reduced to 236 & 214 motions for almost the entire cast and if you wanted to, you could just mash 5A for "crazy-looking" combos. I guess part of the appeal of 2D fighters are their "unnecessarily hard combos". It's a completely different feel to 3D fighters and different mind games. It's not everyone's cup of tea. Compared to most 2D fighters I don't see how Smash Bros is any better. Things seem much more dragged out in those games.

As for DoA5U, I personally hate the bound system. I find little benefit to it over sitdown stuns. I think it looks stupid in single player matches and adds little to the overall gameplay. However, I can see the potential for bounds in Tag matches thanks to the quick tag mechanics.

As for the life amount. I'd prefer 270 over 300 because 300 life leads to too many resets, especially with DOA's preference for shorter combos compared to other fighters like Tekken. If DOA's current oki wasn't shit, and allowed all characters to effectively continue pressure after a knockdown (like in SC) then I wouldn't mind the life increase. I find now, that I have to deal with too many stupid wake-up mix-ups that effectively relinquish my offensive pressure and reset the situation. Removing FT's was also a dumb move.

Brute

Standard Donor
Block button is too strong
Blocking is just too, damn, STROOOOOOOONG!

char_74505.jpg

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
As for DoA5U, I personally hate the bound system. I find little benefit to it over sitdown stuns. I think it looks stupid in single player matches and adds little to the overall gameplay. However, I can see the potential for bounds in Tag matches thanks to the quick tag mechanics.

Bounds work just fine in singles, and they are to be explored further just like Power Launchers are. Because Power Launchers also have multiple uses outside of what they were originally intended for.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
The problem I have with bounds is that a lot of them are only at threshold or near it, and at that point, it's pretty much worse than a launch in every way. Plus there's stuff like Hitomi's Osu! bound. Characters like Ein have actually useful bounds, though.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD