Character match-ups vs tier list?

T..J. Bernard

Anyone know where I can find out about the character match up odds and the recent tier lists. I think both of these can help me in regards to understanding how certain characters are matched up and listed in regards to tiers. I know some people don't favor tier lists but it still would be helpful for me to know.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
There is a tier list, but it's quite outdated and old that dates back from DOA5U.

http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/the-official-tier-list-with-discussion-thread.3817/

It could use some work to include the missing characters such as Naotora and Mai. DOA is one of the games where the entire roster (with the exception of Alpha) have access to a hold system that can provide reversals even to the worse characters with proper reads and fundamentals applied. Honestly, I find DOA to be pretty hard to determine to make tiers when they have access to this, as well as too many information that comes from their own personal approach and experience that may vary between different players, skill gap is involved that makes it difficult to determine proper tier placing.

Ex: Ein is one of those characters that's considered mid or lower (even Naotora) but once those characters provide tons of reads with holds or throwing opponents, they can practically win matches just by playing like that which makes tiers something to not truly care for if they have access to unbreakable throws (not neutral throws) and getting proper holds in. Course, it has tiers, but it's not a heavy mess like an Injustice game or Marvel.

Last edited:

T..J. Bernard

There is a tier list, but it's quite outdated and old that dates back from DOA5U.

http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/the-official-tier-list-with-discussion-thread.3817/

It could use some work to include the missing characters such as Naotora and Mai. DOA is one of the games where the entire roster (with the exception of Alpha) have access to a hold system that can provide reversals even to the worse characters with proper reads and fundamentals applied. Honestly, I find DOA to be pretty hard to determine to make tiers when they have access to this, as well as too many information that comes from their own personal approach and experience that may vary between different players, skill gap is involved that makes it difficult to determine proper tier placing.

Ex: Ein is one of those characters that's considered mid or lower (even Naotora) but once those characters provide tons of reads with holds or throwing opponents, they can practically win matches just by playing like that which makes tiers something to not truly care for if they have access to unbreakable throws (not neutral throws) and getting proper holds in. Course, it has tiers, but it's not a heavy mess like an Injustice game or Marvel.

Thanks. It is outdated but it does give a decent look on some characters. Anything on match-ups. I hear for example Rig isn't favorable against Kasumi, Ryu, Hitomi, and Leifang. But I want to look into that so I can practice the match-up situations to improve myself.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Rig's worse matchups are generally those that have Free Step attacks such as Bayman's Tank Wheel (:8::P+K:) and Christie's Jakeiho. These are very good at going around his frame traps due to Flamingo locking him in place linearly.

T..J. Bernard

Rig's worse matchups are generally those that have Free Step attacks such as Bayman's Tank Wheel (:8::P+K:) and Christie's Jakeiho. These are very good at going around his frame traps due to Flamingo locking him in place linearly.

Ok. Thanks. So far from my list from everyone, Rig's unfavorable matchups include Kasumi, Ryu, Hitomi, Bayman, Christie, Leifang and leifang. And he's a high tier character from most of the community. I'll continue to look into this kind of stuff. If anyone has more info please tell me. All helps me in understanding the game better.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Can't say he's unfavorable against Hayabusa (5-5), but for the most part I can 'probably' agree with everyone else (hard since I don't play any of those characters as well as opinions are not exactly point final to this.)

Not sure about Bayman. I still want to say that one is 5-5 due to speed factor, as well as Rig having access to tracking lows to stop Bayman's roll. I've watched Hoodless and Jaegar play Rikuto's Bayman before and they didn't have particularly too many issues dealing with Bayman's roll. If there's anything that I've seen Rig gets issues, it's Bayman's advantages when you break his throws thus making the Rig player having to guess from that option because Bayman is now at advantage (even OHs that Bayman has) from watching those players play. Can't say, there is too many open situations.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD