Does the PS3 version run at a higher resolution?

Chaos

Are you sure you understand what input delay is? Don't confuse "1 extra frame" with "3 frames overall".

One frame input delay is impossible on either PS3 or Xbox. Three frames is practically the best possible input delay (~50 ms).
Its kind of confusing sometimes o_O

hoduken

I feel like every fighting game that is released on ps3 and 360 always has rumors about a 1 frame delay told to me by someone who owns the console without the delay. Honestly, i play so many damn fighting games across pc, 360, and ps3 and i cant tell a difference. Using the same fightstick across all three systems (two in the case of doa5) and the same 2ms evo standard monitor, i never see a input delay. Now, i would say that they all three feel different somehow but i never feel like i can say without a shadow of a doubt that one system has a frame delay over another in any case.

Can someone tell me, for a fact, that the ps3 version has a 1 frame delay on input? Your sure that your tv isn't just shitty? or that your stick isn't just shitty? you didn't go over to your friends house and play his ps3 version with his sticky controller on his old ass 720p 20ms tv?

And as far as graphics go, its marginally different between 360 and ps3. If i only owned it for one system i would buy it for whatever console doesn't break as often......

synce

^ TN actually says they fixed the PS3's 1ms delay in v1.03... But it's definitely there, not just in fighting games. It's especially obvious in rhythm games. There's this game called Houkago Live on PSP that received a PS3 port, and even though I was boss as fuck in the PSP version I couldn't time anything correctly on the PS3 port.

dawnbringer

Every single game on current consoles has some input lag. The least being ~50 ms.
^ TN actually says they fixed the PS3's 1ms delay in v1.03... But it's
definitely there, not just in fighting games.

TN told they reduced it for online fights. It's unclear if this affects offline modes in any way.
Reduced lag for online fights by 1 frame.

hoduken

^ TN actually says they fixed the PS3's 1ms delay in v1.03... But it's definitely there, not just in fighting games. It's especially obvious in rhythm games. There's this game called Houkago Live on PSP that received a PS3 port, and even though I was boss as fuck in the PSP version I couldn't time anything correctly on the PS3 port.

Wow so TN acknowledges the 1 frame problem and has it in the patch notes for the ps3? i don't remember seeing that in the notes, but if that's true its cool they actually admitted it and are dealing with it.

I only recently even tried playing online. I have plenty of people to play offline with.

d3v

How many times are people going to bring up this myth.

SRK's Tech Talk has already done extensive tests on this and the verdict is that the PS3 does not have 1 frame of delay natively. It's all due to shoddy or bad ports/programming.

Take for example:
Tekken 6 has 1 frame of delay on XBox 360.
Street Fighter III 3rd Strike Online Edition has no difference in delay between PS3 and XBox 360 (they're both off from the arcade by the same amount).

Chaos

How many times are people going to bring up this myth.

SRK's Tech Talk has already done extensive tests on this and the verdict is that the PS3 does not have 1 frame of delay natively. It's all due to shoddy or bad ports/programming.

Take for example:
Tekken 6 has 1 frame of delay on XBox 360.
Street Fighter III 3rd Strike Online Edition has no difference in delay between PS3 and XBox 360 (they're both off from the arcade by the same amount).
I remember I was reading a website that EA DICE made a patch for the PS3 verison to get rid of the 1 frame delay (the company who created the Battlefield franchise)

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
Or it could be the fact that people play with WIRELESS controls. Wireless controls have to turn the player input into the wireless data, send the data to the proper system, and then turn the data into output for user purposes. Wireless is not perfect yet, probably never will be because of the slightly longer delay it has over wired controllers. Wired controls have a direct connection to their systems and eliminates a lot of the computational downtime.

d3v

Or it could be the fact that people play with WIRELESS controls. Wireless controls have to turn the player input into the wireless data, send the data to the proper system, and then turn the data into output for user purposes. Wireless is not perfect yet, probably never will be because of the slightly longer delay it has over wired controllers. Wired controls have a direct connection to their systems and eliminates a lot of the computational downtime.
Wireless is a non-issue if you're using first party controllers. We've had tests on this and modern first part controllers over wireless are just as fast as wired.

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
Wireless is a non-issue if you're using first party controllers. We've had tests on this and modern first part controllers over wireless are just as fast as wired.
That's good to know. Can I assume distance under 30ish feet from the console is negligible as well?
Was just something I thought up without putting too much thought into. I tend to over think the "simple" stuff occasionally and when it comes to certain technologies I think too much.

Regarding differences between the 360 and PS3 graphic display, I've seen that the 360 lighting tends to be better for flat surfaces, I once described the 360 as perfect for robots, "power suits," and large structures and not so much for smoother character models which is why, as I've noticed, many Xbox game models look metallic or have lighting on surfaces as if they were.

PS3 seems to have better shading, shadowing, and lighting control with better "smooth model" capabilities and higher attention to smaller details. Sadly those details can sometimes overwhelm the PS3 more than it would an Xbox.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD