A Sonic fighter based on DOA? Thoughts?

Argentus

An idea I've rolled around for a few years, thought about it last night.

Thinking of a fighter, based on DOA system, buy with characters from the sonic comic, full roster.

Some rough ideas
- hold system
- few launchers or juggles, if any
- more focus on knockdown and knockback, and stuns
- no bouncing, more realistic physics
- lv 1 2 and 3 meter. Lv 1 is special, lv 2 is super, lv 3 is ultra
- if a lv 1 special is used, it only takes a small lv 1 chunk from meter, rather than entire third bar, etc
-

Thinking if trying a playable demo with sonic and knuckles as trial characters.

So far, basics
Sonic, attacks with kicks and mobility, with special sidesteps, and can roll spin and fliplike Ayane..

C1 default
C2 Fugitive (endgame)
C3 Sonic Adventure 2 gear (bracelets and soap shoes)
C4 Sonic Boom (scarf and bandages)
C5 Evil Sonic (shades, jacket and boots)

Example of basic strings
KK2K - Two mid kicks and a sweep
9KKK3K - launching diagonal kicks ending with a dive kick to drop enemy back down
9p+k, k - spin jump ending with a heel drop/axe kick.
9p+k, 2p+k, - drops to ground mid spin jump, bouncing off ground once before uncurling and landing
9p+k - if contacts enemy, leapfrogs off them to jump over them
3k, sliding kick

Knuckles, attacks with punches and power.

C1 default
C2 Chaos Knux (green knuckles)
C3 Future Knux (hat, cybernetic eye, uniform)
C4 sa2 gear (glasses, rebreather and shovel claws)
C5

Pp6p - two jabs and a lunging straight punch
Pp8p, - two jabs and an spiraling uppercut.
PPP two jabs and a horizontal hook
P8pp - jab, overhead, rising punch (like leons 8ppp)
6p+k - runs forward and slams both fist forward, knocking opponent off their feet.
Grapple - grabs opponent, jumps upand dunks opponent into ground so hard they bounce
3p+k - ground pound, staggers, or stuns opponent.
9p+k - jumps up and glides toward enemy
9p+k, p+k - drill claw. Spins like a torpedo towards opponent from glide.
6p+k burrows underground and does spiraling upper from underneath opponent. Can be done from glide. Counts as a low.

Thoughts so far? I'm bored and putting a lot id thought into this. Next post will be okayabke roster

Sorry if this doesn't belong here.

Argentus

Playable roster

Sonic the hedgeho
Princess Sally Acorn
Antoine D'Coolette
Bunnie Rabbot
Miles "Tails" Prower
Rob o' The Hedge
Knuckles the Echidna
Mighty the Armadillo
Vector the Crocodile
Espio the Chameleon
Penelope Platypus
Guntiver the Wolf
Erma Ermine
Barby Koala
Guru Emu
Geoffrey st John
Mobie the cave bear
Locke
Mecha Knuckles
Julie Su
Remington
Thunderhawk
Spectre
Jules
Lupe
Leeta and Lyco
Hershey Cat
Silver
Rouge
omega

Villains
Scratch & Grounder
Coconuts
Snively Robotnik
Pseudo Sonic
evil sonic
King max
Metal sonic
Nack the weasel
Sleuth Dog
Fiona Fox
Crocbot
Combat
Enerjak
Kragok
Lien Da
Mecha Sonic
Mammoth Mogul
Flying Frog
Sgt Simian
Lightning Lynx
Predator Hawk
General Stryker
Warlord Kodos
Drago Wolf
Eggbot
Swatbot
Mecha sally
Black Death
Shadow

Stage hazards and cameos

Verti-Cal and Horizont-Al
Universalamander
Badniks
Herbs
Charmy and Saffron Bee
Nicole
Archimedes
Octobot
At hair
Dynamac
Silver Sonic
Merlin Prower
Feist
Dulcy Dragon
Enchantress
Harry

Last edited:

Ghosty-J

Specials restricted to a gauge kind of reminds me of Eternal Champions, which got pretty annoying. Since the commands you shared for Sonic and Knuckles suggests it's more of a 3D fighter, then I guess it does at a pretty unique spin on the system. There's little emphasis on bounds and juggles, of course, but wall bounce combos like the ones in the new Killer Instinct would be pretty neat to see on a 3D plain since there's knockback involved :U

Argentus

Specials restricted to a gauge kind of reminds me of Eternal Champions, which got pretty annoying. Since the commands you shared for Sonic and Knuckles suggests it's more of a 3D fighter, then I guess it does at a pretty unique spin on the system. There's little emphasis on bounds and juggles, of course, but wall bounce combos like the ones in the new Killer Instinct would be pretty neat to see on a 3D plain since there's knockback involved :U
Well, if you've ever played Ultimate Muscle, Legends vs New Generation, I'm basing the meter system on that. And I'm including it so as to still include iconic moves and special attacks that wouldn't work in strings.

And yeah, wall splats and stuff are fine. Even that thing in doa5 where you hit an opponent hard enough they back flip and skid across the ground. I just don't like seeing bodies flop around like tennis balls so since I'm trying a system, I'm trying a fighting game WITHOUT all the flopping and bouncing and juggling present in most others.

Want me to give a brief description of how the rest of the roster would play? Off the top if my head of course, so could use some refinement.

Then there's similar moves. Sonic, Shadow and Scourge would all share certain moves, but...for example, spin dash. Sonics would be regular one that rams enemy, but Shadows would be slower and stronger, while Scourges is the most aggressive, causing sparks off the ground, and rather than simply going through the enemy like the other two, Scourge grinds against them like a buzzsaw, pinning them to the ground and dealing extra damage, but no good for followups, unlike Sonics or Shadows. So generally speaking, of the three Sonics, Sonic would be fastest. Shadow is slower to start up but a little more power, while Scourge is both fast and strong, but more aggressive and short sighted, often not allowing for followups.

David Gregg

Bunnie Rabbot!!! I remember seeing her in a comic as a child. Why they ever chose that annoying Cream over Bunnie as part of Sonic's main crew is beyond me.

Kodachi

Standard Donor
Playable roster

Sonic the hedgeho
Princess Sally Acorn
Antoine D'Coolette
Bunnie Rabbot
Miles "Tails" Prower
Rob o' The Hedge
Knuckles the Echidna
Mighty the Armadillo
Vector the Crocodile
Espio the Chameleon
Penelope Platypus
Guntiver the Wolf
Erma Ermine
Barby Koala
Guru Emu
Geoffrey st John
Mobie the cave bear
Locke
Mecha Knuckles
Julie Su
Remington
Thunderhawk
Spectre
Jules
Lupe
Hershey Cat

Villains
Scratch & Grounder
Coconuts
Snively Robotnik
Pseudo Sonic
evil sonic
King max
Metal sonic
Nack the weasel
Sleuth Dog
Fiona Fox
Crocbot
Combat
Enerjak
Kragok
Lien Da
Mecha Sonic
Mammoth Mogul
Flying Frog
Sgt Simian
Lightning Lynx
Predator Hawk
General Stryker
Warlord Kodos
Drago Wolf
Eggbot
Swatbot
Mecha sally
Black Death

Stage hazards and cameos

Verti-Cal and Horizont-Al
Universalamander
Badniks
Herbs
Charmy and Saffron Bee
Nicole
Archimedes
Octobot
At hair
Dynamac
Silver Sonic
Merlin Prower
Feist
Dulcy Dragon
Enchantress
How dare you exclude Rouge the Bat..
Rouge2006.png

Argentus

Are half those character lists made up of fan characters or am I that out of the loop?
No. They are...well were before the 2012 reboot, recurring characters in the official Sonic the hedgehog comic book. Comic had its own story and settings, branched off from the old 90s cartoon.

The game Sonic Chronicles used expires of all these characters (dark brotherhood based off dark legion, Shade based off Julie-Su, bad guy off Dr Finitevus, etc) which the writer if the comic, and creator of said characters, filed a lawsuit over, which led to the 2012 reboot that wiped out all characters in the comic.

Bunnie Rabbot!!! I remember seeing her in a comic as a child. Why they ever chose that annoying Cream over Bunnie as part of Sonic's main crew is beyond me.

Too true.

Vanilla is a good milf bunny though so fair trade lol.

How dare you exclude Rouge the Bat..
Rouge2006.png
I also forgot shadow silver blaze big, etc.

Buy okay, let's try a rough starter concept for Rouge.

Rouge the Bat.
Play style: kicks and aerial attacks. Think like Nyo crossed with Rig.

C1 default
C2 Team Dark (sonic heroes outfit)
C3 sonic riders outfit (sports bra and loose pants)
C4 ?

Few example strings and moves.

Kkk2k or kkk8k: high kick mid kick followed by a sidestepping spin kick
9pppk: flies forward like nyo and does a flying kick at the opponent.
8p+k: can launch up like spawn into a hovering stance. Can be followed up with 2p+k for a diagonal drill kick, 7p for a backflip to fly forward like 9p, hold to cancel flight, KKK for three vertical kicks resembling an air walk, or throw for a throw that I haven't decided on now
3throw: lifts enemy up with one leg and splits opponent apart with a scissor kick.
9ppp: marches forward while slapping in front of her

Lv 1 hip drop. A princess peach/Tina style hip slam. Can crush all enemy attacks.
Lv2 ?
Lv3 Heart Attack. Seduces the opponent with poses before attacking with a barrage of kicks. (Can't really think of supers for her)

....whatever it was off the top of my head lol.

Squizzo

I have no clue who most of those characters are, but it seems like you left out a lot of the more famous characters like Amy, Shadow, Big the Cat and Dr.Robotnik.

To be honest, I don't think that Sonic is the best IP for a fighting game. There really aren't enough easily recognisable characters. I think it would be better to just add more Sonic characters to Smash Bros.

Zeo

Let's see the amount of recognizable characters in the Sonic universe to well... most Sonic fans.

Sonic (Super Sonic)
Tails
Knuckles
Shadow
Amy
Rogue
Omega
Cream
Big
Vector
Charmy
Espio
Blaze
Silver
Eggman
Emerl
Metal/Mecha Sonic
Chaos

Those are all fairly recognizable characters from recent enough games. 18 is plenty for a roster. You could throw in a few older characters like Bean the duck after that for roster padding but you don't really need it. That being said a traditional fighter in Sonic style I don't really think would work, Sonic needs something a bit more unique to work. Kind of a combination of the smash, power stone and budokai tenkaichi games.

Argentus

I have no clue who most of those characters are, but it seems like you left out a lot of the more famous characters like Amy, Shadow, Big the Cat and Dr.Robotnik.

To be honest, I don't think that Sonic is the best IP for a fighting game. There really aren't enough easily recognisable characters. I think it would be better to just add more Sonic characters to Smash Bros.
Let's see the amount of recognizable characters in the Sonic universe to well... most Sonic fans.

Sonic (Super Sonic)
Tails
Knuckles
Shadow
Amy
Rogue
Omega
Cream
Big
Vector
Charmy
Espio
Blaze
Silver
Eggman
Emerl
Metal/Mecha Sonic
Chaos

Those are all fairly recognizable characters from recent enough games. 18 is plenty for a roster. You could throw in a few older characters like Bean the duck after that for roster padding but you don't really need it. That being said a traditional fighter in Sonic style I don't really think would work, Sonic needs something a bit more unique to work. Kind of a combination of the smash, power stone and budokai tenkaichi games.

Well the problem in including robotnik and say, big the cat, is in a traditional fighter, there would be huge issues with the size differences.

And in a say, more mobile fighter like Naruto Storm or Power Stone or tenkaichj, would but that besides the obvious gameplay issues, id be worried that high mobility characters like sonic would have too big an advantage. I mean it could work but..

As for characters....

I left out Amy shadow and such because I originally envisioned this as a trilogy and they wouldn't show up till game number 2 lol. Then others like Charmy and cream we hit the size issue again.

And you say the characters are unrecognizable, but they aren't to people who read the sonic comic or watched the old 90s shows. I grew up with these characters! (Which is also why I stopped reading the comic after the reboot removed them all)

I can see a game like naruto storm working but I don't want the game to be mashy either. Not gomna lie its gonna take some thinking to make it work in a traditional fighter but they did of once before. Sonic the fighters. Then they also did a power stone fighter in Sonic battle but that was really mashy.

Game characters I would include are

Sonic
Knuckles
Tails
Amy
Rouge
Shadow
Silver
Gamma maybe
Omega maybe
Blaze
Espio
Vector
Mighty
Ray
Bean
Nack
Bark

But if you were curious you could look up any of the characters here

http://archiesonic.wikia.com/wiki/The_Archie_Sonic_Wiki

Last edited:

Argentus

More rough fighting style ideas off the top of my head.

Shadow the hedgehog -
Shady3.jpg

480px-Picture_2.png
more emphasis on his Chaos powers than Sonic style attacks

Barby Koala -
479px-Barbyfigure.jpg

479px-JailBarby.jpg
brutal Vale Tudo style, like Vanessa from Virtua Fighter

Princess sally acorn -
480px-Sally_Redesign_Rafa_Knight.jpg

Sally_Acorn_Profile.jpg
Balanced solid striker like Hitomi or Asuka

Spectre -
Spectre02.png
Teleports and telekinesis, never attacks with physical force. Think a cross between Ermac and Nero Chaos

Espio -
Blog_Espio.jpg
Token ninja

Guntiver Wolf -
guntiver_the_arctic_wolf_by_ohyeahcartoonsfan-d7rpp75.jpg
Fights in a feral style like Star Wolf from smash, but slightly less vicious.

Geoffrey St. John -
479px-GeffstjQ%21.jpg

GeoffreyStJohn01.jpg

Tactical takedowns, like a cross between Blue Mary and Bayman

Erma the Ermine -
Ermathenonninja.jpg

480px-Ermacloak.jpg
Feints and sneak attacks using cloaking ability. Functionally a female ninja.

Antoine D'Coolette -
479px-Antoine_Redesign_Rafa_Knight.jpg

Blog_Antoine.jpg
Fencing, like a less flamboyant Raphael.

Bunnie Rabbot-D'Coolette -
479px-Bunnie_Redesign_Rafa_Knight.jpg

Blog_Bunnie.jpg
Straightforward. Can jet forward for heavy hits like robogirl from tekken. Strong character.

Mecha knuckles (Mechaknux) -
480px-MechaKnuckles.jpg

mechask1.jpg

Metal_Knuckles_1.png

Metal_Knuckles_243.jpg
Heavy power character. Able to pull opponents in like Tager, using magnetic claws. Claws able to absorb/deflect projectiles. Able to rocket forward for increased punching damage (jet engines built in fists and feet. Fists for punching power, feet for flight) shares skme moves with Knuckles, in a similar vein as Cyber Sub Zero does with regular sub zero.

Last edited:

Awesmic

Standard Donor
So to review, you're using the basis of Sonic the Fighters while implementing a completely different meter system that limits signature movesets, emphasizes the wall game and corners for heavy damage, and taking the most recognizable characters from both the video game's universe and that of the long-running comic book series.

Amirite so far?

Argentus

So to review, you're using the basis of Sonic the Fighters while implementing a completely different meter system that limits signature movesets, emphasizes the wall game and corners for heavy damage, and taking the most recognizable characters from both the video game's universe and that of the long-running comic book series.

Amirite so far?
Mostly.

Game would be mostly taking from comics. Adding in DOA hold system, and while I don't like the phrase "limiting signature moves", it is to prevent things like projectile spam for those who have it, while still allowing that signature move (bunnies arm cannon, Geoffrey's crossbow, etc). While wall game and corners aren't the focus I'm sure they would be exploited. The point is simply to minimize characters flopping and bouncing around like ragdolls.

So for the most part yes. Thoughts?

Argentus

Lol. Was drawing an Erma vs Espio sketch but stopped once I realized it looked like a shipping pick because I drew them too close together.

10321569_1510052379245152_1795730982529794349_o.jpg

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD