What Could 3.1 Do Better?

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
On the first episode of our DOA podcast, it was brought up that DOA3.1 wasn't perfect.

What changes, if any, would you like to see and why?

(Please try to keep the discussion intelligent)

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
On the first episode of our DOA podcast, it was brought up that DOA3.1 wasn't perfect.

What changes, if any, would you like to see and why?

(Please try to keep the discussion intelligent)

Doa3.1 just need minor tweaks. Hayate's cartwheel could have been removed instead of changing the whole fsd system. Revising the juggle damage to Doa4 style would not hurt, as well as Doa4's SE system to add more defence options. But the truth of the matter, Doa3.1 has not been explored enough to see if the problems that we may have are actually in truth. Doa4 have been played seriously for 3 years, and come to find out that its style of play is just the basics of doa3. So I am sure there is much we can learn about the game.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
The directional input time on holds was a little too loose, but thats nit picking. I think thats about the only "problem" I ever had with DOA 3, accidental holds. lol.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Yeah DOA3 definitely forced you to use :4 or :1 to block instead of using the :f button lol.

Most of the problems with DOA3 are just balancing issues.

I'd personally wouldn't mind if doing a hit/juggle on wall crumple caused a revision in damage. SEing off the wall wouldn't be a bad feature as long as it's not as fast as DOA4's. Would be fine with the same SE system as DOA3, but the SE bar just applied to the wall crumple.

virtuaPAI

Staff member
Administrator
The correct question should be, what did doa3.1 do right. This info will better the community than stating what's wrong(practically nothing).

The HuBBs

I think its okay to ask both those questions. they show the good merits of a game and shows how we can improve upon what we dislike.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Well with 3.1 you sort of have a intelligible goal when the fight starts... you know you have to push your enemy into the wall/danger zone and destroy them, and you couldn't do this in an unsafe manner or it would backfire and get you killed.

Even basic movement was a tug of war, but it was something you had to constantly be thinking about.

That's the best part about it really. When they decided to make everything in 4 equally dangerous/safe, they effectively told the player to just turn off their brain during the fight.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
What's fun about that dimension of "Getting them to the danger zone" is that you had some characters who's individual characteristics were to make you think you had them at the wall just for them to turn the tide.

Lei Fang's 4F+P with back-to-wall comes to mind. Bayman's (or was it Leon's?) F+P guaranteed standard throw doing wall damage and possible ground throw follow ups as well. You had to really know your opponent's options and capabilities, which to many is what made them enjoy the game's meta system so much.

virtuaPAI

Staff member
Administrator
Doa3.1(even 2u) gave you options on how you would like to setup offensive/defensive strategies with varying results. I could be leifang, and I can choose whether or not to use a parry to deflect both your high and mid attacks to lessen mixup pressure, forcing you the offensive player to use more throws/low attacks. Parry's (I believe :p parrys) also forces a position switch that could allow you to gain environmental advantages as well as guaranteeing damage. Opting to parry provides actual advantages/disadvantages depending on the situation. Another example is Leifang's :F:+:p which granted +5 frames when not completed, giving you enough frames to force a mixup between a Launching attack and throw...or you can just finish the throw if you opt not to go into a forced mixup.

What make this game great, is the fact that you are not making simple guesses on whether or not my opponent is going to do either a high/mid/low attack. The mental exchange is based on effectively getting out of your opponents setup, and forcing one of your own. This required you to learn each characters individual setup's(strength and weaknesses). Every situation was not based on holding to get out. There are times when a player will put you in a situation in where the only escape is using a throw or attack, but if you read your opponent wrong, you can lose even more damage.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Would you guys mess with the hold window? High/mid 0/22/8 and low 0/22/5 to something else? Maybe 0/10/8 and 0/10/5? And what about changing Hayate's cartwheel from 0/0/35 to 10/5/35 or something? These are all actually very easy to do and I got my Xbox working today as well as these changes.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
For holds, I'd be interested in seeing a change to 0/20/10 | 0/20/8 respectively.

For character specific changes I'd recommend the following:
*Hitomi's :4:6:p either is +1 on block or Guard Breaks (Short Anim)
*Gen Fu's :3:p:+:k is -5 on block and is increased by 2 or 3 frames of initial animation
*Gen Fu's :6:p is 12i
*Bass' :4:t is 6i - making it as slow as his T.F.B.B (:2b:4:6:t.
*Leon's :P:p:1:p is a guard break
*Hayate's :2:p:+:k // :8:p:+:k is three times as slow in recovery animation (should possibly *fix* the cartwheel)

That's all that I can think of off the top of my head.

TheHunterKiller692

What make this game great, is the fact that you are not making simple guesses... The mental exchange is based on effectively getting out of your opponents' setup and forcing one of your own. Every situation was not based on holding to get out. There are times when a player will put you in a situation in where the only escape is using a throw or attack...
AND utilizing stage transitions, which happens to be a thing that other games' players wouldn't be thinking about as much. Problem is, it's the timing and which hazards will inflict the most damage. However, that should only be a last resort and I'd prefer to be defensive to keep a balanced matchup instead of going aggro before they can so much as move. That, and static walls that don't trigger transitions are not worth using, in my honest opinion.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD