Breakblows and Powerblows need to go. It's not DOA.

WebHead

I believe break blows started to become mainstream with the release of MK9. That and the dumbass X-ray "power blow" they had going on. Other fighters like Street Fighter and Tekken began to go in that direction because the devs were under the misconception that they need to modernize the game.

What the DOA devs didn't understand is they were infringing on DOAs structural foundation. Break blows and power blows don't belong in DOA.

Does it make logical sense to have breakblows when you have a 4 point hold system that can be used at any time? It makes 0 sense in DOA. MK and SF and Tekken don't have a counter system, so there it works (but it should honestly be axed in all of these games).

Meter is another one. Specials work in flashy 2D games like Street Fighter. DOA is a 3D fighter. Specials just don't make sense in any 3D fighter. In DOA5 the powerblows were long and drawn out with many hits. In DOA6 they just made a corny haymaker. We can see the devs struggling to make something work. And it just doesn't work.

When these modern devs start messing around with the foundation that made them in the first place, the games start to suck. I see it time and time again. Gaming is at an all time low because of low IQ devving.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Kinda disagree, MK didn't start the super comeback move thing, street fighter 4 did with the ultra combos that were tied to how low your health was. I think games took the comeback mechanic route so that way there was some type of way to easily get back on track since after a while, it is kinda glaringly bare without something to at least help get a clean comeback. I think Tekken tried to play it safe at first with the rage damage boost but even that can't help much if your opponent is on your ass, and in tekken that's easy to do so I think that's why power crushes and armor moves became somewhat of a way to help that.

I think break blows could have been executed differently but I think they fit into the system, the 4 way hold system is kinda complex for newcomers to get used to at first and I think break holds and break blows were a way to ease into it. DOA does technically have armor attacks somewhat since I feel OHs and sabaki attacks kinda function in that manner but just more needing reads to use while anyone can do break blows and holds.

Power blows in DOA5 I don't think were long and drawn out, it varied between characters since some like Kasumi had shorter ones but certain ones like Naotora and Mai did get lengthy. DOA6 varied a bit since some like Bayman, Kula and a few others were kinda drawn out

I think in general games are just trying to make it easier for new players to come in because how can complex games like DOA and VF get a new following when it's more suited to legacy and seasoned players? It won't work since the system isn't at least somewhat tailored for people to learn. I think if DOA was still in the pre DOA5 system and if Tekken was stuck in the TTT2 and pre game era system with no useful comeback mechanics and more bare mechanics, they wouldn't be as successful since newcomers would feel intimidated and afraid to give the game a chance. Comebacks and some flashy visual moves are an easy way to get people eased into a game and i think that won't change anytime soon

WebHead

I meant to say MK did the "combo breaker" mumbo jumbo and then others started following suit. Or it could have been that garbage Killer Instinct game, it was one of the two.

And about Street Fighter 4, that's what I was getting at with the meter. The meter and flashy supers work well with the 2D fighter. That's ingrained with that style of fighting game. It's completely foolish for a 3D fighting game dev to mix and match with these elements.

These modern DOA devs are wasting their efforts on copying other fighters instead of embellishing what made theirs great in the first place.

And yeah, they are trying to make it easier for newcomers, but at what cost? Look at the collateral damage. The DOA community is dead. Without the veteran players playing the game, there are no new comers. I was a newcomer to DOA4 and that game was hard as hell to learn. It was also the best fighting game I ever played. There's no excuses.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I meant to say MK did the "combo breaker" mumbo jumbo and then others started following suit. Or it could have been that garbage Killer Instinct game, it was one of the two.

And about Street Fighter 4, that's what I was getting at with the meter. The meter and flashy supers work well with the 2D fighter. That's ingrained with that style of fighting game. It's completely foolish for a 3D fighting game dev to mix and match with these elements.

These modern DOA devs are wasting their efforts on copying other fighters instead of embellishing what made theirs great in the first place.

And yeah, they are trying to make it easier for newcomers, but at what cost? Look at the collateral damage. The DOA community is dead. Without the veteran players playing the game, there are no new comers. I was a newcomer to DOA4 and that game was hard as hell to learn. It was also the best fighting game I ever played. There's no excuses.
I don't think so, fighting games get boring if they don't evolve and try out different things.

The DOA community is dead because of the business practice of the game and the lack of trying to balance out or even modify the system, DOA6 only ever changed the sidestep attack cost of the attacks by tying it to meter but they hadn't even touched break blows or holds at all. DoA4 being you're first game isn't really a fool proof example since alot of players came from that era, but it was never really major since it was pretty unbalanced from what my recollection. DOA5 is alot of players intros into the series and I think that's what they base their stuff on since it sterilized alot of stuff, doa6 even more but I just think the mechanics didn't suit it for long term veterans

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
I believe break blows started to become mainstream with the release of MK9. That and the dumbass X-ray "power blow" they had going on. Other fighters like Street Fighter and Tekken began to go in that direction because the devs were under the misconception that they need to modernize the game.

What the DOA devs didn't understand is they were infringing on DOAs structural foundation. Break blows and power blows don't belong in DOA.

Does it make logical sense to have breakblows when you have a 4 point hold system that can be used at any time? It makes 0 sense in DOA. MK and SF and Tekken don't have a counter system, so there it works (but it should honestly be axed in all of these games).

Meter is another one. Specials work in flashy 2D games like Street Fighter. DOA is a 3D fighter. Specials just don't make sense in any 3D fighter. In DOA5 the powerblows were long and drawn out with many hits. In DOA6 they just made a corny haymaker. We can see the devs struggling to make something work. And it just doesn't work.

When these modern devs start messing around with the foundation that made them in the first place, the games start to suck. I see it time and time again. Gaming is at an all time low because of low IQ devving.

My opinion is that the CB felt great, but I do miss something about the times when there wasn't a free stall. What's your stance on grappling in comparison to 4 and let's just say 5 because I can assume that you must not like DOA6 at all. Good to see you around. I remember enjoying a few of your posts in the past.

WebHead

My opinion is that the CB felt great, but I do miss something about the times when there wasn't a free stall. What's your stance on grappling in comparison to 4 and let's just say 5 because I can assume that you must not like DOA6 at all. Good to see you around. I remember enjoying a few of your posts in the past.
TY Sir! Hmm, I don't remember many of the differences when it comes to grappling in 4 and 5 and 6. I actually only played 6 for a short time. But I wouldn't be surprised if my stance was "lets just go back to 4".

I think the critical stun in DOA5 was good, and that's an example of the devs being innovative and drumming to their own sound. I just dislike seeing the combo breaker in any fighting game. It slows down the action for no good reason. DOA4 was fast paced; a good player could be in full control at all times and end the round quickly for a Great/Greatest. Thats how DOA should be played (in my opinion).

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD