Media A call for actual video content

d3v

Hi,
Some of you may know me as the guy who does stuff on Shoryuken.com's front page (and occasionally, on FSD's front page as well). Now if you may recall, last week I actually ran a couple of round up articles with Dead Or Alive 5 Ultimate related content. This week however, it seems that we're getting less DOA5U related content to post on our front page. This is disturbing since with other fighting games (e.g. Injustice, Persona, Skullgirls) we'd got tons of combo videos and tutorials during the first few weeks/months of the game.

Now I'm sure some of you are already starting to type replies on how they've uploaded so-and-so number of match vids during the past week. Here's the thing however, match vids don't really count, not at this point in time when A) the game is new and there are alot of new players and B) many of the top players aren't really recognized by most people coming into the game yet. The kind of content that DOA5U needs at this point in time is useful stuff such as tutorials and combo videos - content that presents data in an easily understandable manner. This is the kind of content that can both help people level up and get people actually interested in the game.

Now, you may be thinking "but I don't have no expensive $200 capture card or $500 video software" The truth is, you don't need that kind of equipment, nor software. It helps, especially if you want something that looks professional, but even just a simple cellular phone camera can do the trick (as I did back in vanilla DOA5 when I made a video about the bugged new backdash that certain characters had). All it takes is a bit of creativity and know how and the desire to actually help the community by putting out content.

MasterHavik

Well someone actually offer to record my Zack combo video for me on the online dojo. I still want a capture card though.

Reactions: d3v

Edmund

Yeah it'd be nice to not just have combo videos but character tutorials like Aris from Avoiding The Puddle/The Main Main/RIP from Level Up Your Game are doing for Tekken. This will help people like me who are very new to DOA and are trying to learn to use a character.

That said, where are the stream archives for DOA5U? I'm at the TeamSp00ky channel and they even have the archive for Smash Brothers, which I don't even consider a fighting game. Replays for SSF4 are all up on Youtube already. No excuse for DOA5U's replay to not be up.

synce

For better or worse the in-game combo challenge shows people the most damaging juggles, but I'm getting into Tina right now and it would be nice to see some videos showcasing true (guaranteed) combos.

d3v

For better or worse the in-game combo challenge shows people the most damaging juggles, but I'm getting into Tina right now and it would be nice to see some videos showcasing true (guaranteed) combos.
I'm sure there's stuff to be explored, especially once you start going for guaranteed damage, max damage with no crit stun combos, etc.

Also, there's more to tutorials than just combos. Videos teaching character specific advanced movement and the neutral game would be nice.

Number 13

Only really see Emperor Cow stuff on sites like Ehubs or SRK in regards of character tutorials/combos or whenever BloodBurger is showing off costumes.

Crext

Standard Donor
I'll probably get to create some character tutorials when I get the time for it. However, since the game is so new I have not gotten around to be decent enough to start teaching others, or so I feel myself. "Life gets in the way", as one of my professors said, and since I've been busy lately it has been difficult to improve.

Offbeat Ninja

If someone wants to record for me I'll do an advanced Ein combo video and show guaranteed set ups as well as special combos to use on all weight class characters, and how to maximize your damage in all stage situations. Finally I have tech on how to specifically beat Rachel with Ein that's undiscovered and I'm willing to show. If anyone wants to record message me at Offbeat NInjas. Take care.

BLAZE

I have a capture card but it freezes sometimes not sure how long It can record at a time.

Elle Danse

I have an Elgato, I just really don't have that much of a following on youtube to make a lot of videos. But if someone wanted me to record something for them and send it too them then I'll be happy to help. (:

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
I hear ya, d3v, I've already made plans to create a combo video and a tutorial video for Ayane. I'll be working on these along with SomewhatMental and Return of a Shadow when I head out to NorCal this weekend. I also have to revise the Ayane guide for DOA5U, I'm still finding things before I actually do so, though.

D Glock

I am able to help out as well, on either console. I can also capture voice recordings done from anyone's headset for tutorials. Just hit me up!

I just completed all the combo challenges for all characters and uploaded in video format. I've also been in the process of turning Sly Bass' guides/tips/tricks for Akira into video format

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
Something else that would be really helpful is putting gameplay information in the wiki. Take a look at the VFDC wiki for Vanessa. That's really helpful for learning a character, and more importantly, it's important in getting players.

For a new player, it's complete different between having to look through the forum for scraps of information about each character and just clicking a character's name in the wiki. One page that different people can add to can instantly let someone who wants to learn the character know, "Oh, this is what I should use to extend stun at this attack level," or, "Oh, this is the optimal juggle for this weight class." For a new player, whether the character he wants to play has easily available resources is a big factor in whether he's going to pick up the game.

If it's in a forum format, tech is always gonna be lost in the middle few pages. It's pretty impractical for the one who started the thread to constant monitor each post and add relevant information to the original few posts. Plus, it would all be from a single player's perspective.

BloodBurger

Fighters Legend just got front page on SRK for all of the Combo Challenges. I'm going to be taking a proactive roll in getting offscreen, off stream matches at WNF. We also just set up the socaldoa twitch channel and we'll be doing casuals and tournaments on weekends. Uploading archives of those sessions will also be one of my main priorities.

BlackKnight2000 is going to be taking over for me when it comes to DLC reviews and pushing the fan service aspect of things because even though we want to showcase the game in a competitive light, a lot of old fans still want to see that stuff too.

Doing all that we can to keep this game in the light from SoCal.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD